Open Job: Highlands

theguru

7 minutes ago, InsideSlant said:

Do we assume this search would not kick into high gear until after Dec. 19 when the last state final is played?

Seriously, though, I would guess Highlands is at very least working on getting their hiring committee together already, if not already assembling a list of names to extend invitations to apply for the job.

5 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Anyone want to conjecture about who will be applying or interviewing? Or who HHS is going to be reaching out to?

My understanding has been that Steve Lickert left Campbell County and took the job at NCC in hopes of having an appearance or two in the state finals as a resume booster for the day and time that the job came available on Memorial Parkway. Guessing Jeff Barth will be involved in the conversation somewhere along the line too. Chris Wolfe, well, we all know that there will be talk about him applying or being asked to apply. Any chance of that? I've seen Marc Clark and Andrew Coverdale mentioned elsewhere.

How about John Rodenberg? He certainly seems like he's a gun for hire with a good resume and Greater Cincy roots. He holds 4 state titles in 3 different states.

Coverdale was an assistant and OC at Trinity from 1999-2002, then left for Castle High School in Indiana (5A...second largest class in Indiana), and came back to Trinity as OC from 2006-2018. Coach Specht got him to go up to Cincy St. X in 2019. He was an assistant at a few high schools around Indiana before hiring on at Trinity in '99. He's a big school guy, so that may or may not present issues for him as a potential candidate for the Highlands job.

Marc Clark is also a big school guy. Started on the coaching staff at WKU, then became an assistant at Logan County, then an assistant and OC at Male under Wolfe, then heas coach at Hoptown, and now he's the head coach at McCracken. Again, may not be the best of fits at Highlands simply because Highlands isn't operating off of their large numbers, they operate off of developing players from in their FTJFL and retaining them up through high school.

Chris Wolfe, in my opinion, is probably one of the few really well suited "big school" guys simply due to the fact that he was brought up in the Highlands system, himself.

• Like 1

Bob Sphire... could be a good one to throw his hat in ring. Remember Highlands is not a start up program but the 2nd now 3rd most winninest program in the nation so coaches without head coaching experience wouldn’t make my cut. Heck you can be an outstanding position or coordinator but that doesn’t make you a head coach. Get that experience somewhere else and then let’s talk.

At least make the criteria include minimum head coaching experience and a couple of championships also help imo. 

4 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Bob Sphire... could be a good one to throw his hat in ring. Remember Highlands is not a start up program but the 2nd now 3rd most winninest program in the nation so coaches without head coaching experience wouldn’t make my cut. Heck you can be an outstanding position or coordinator but that doesn’t make you a head coach. Get that experience somewhere else and then let’s talk.

At least make the criteria include minimum head coaching experience and a couple of championships also help imo. 

An interesting thought, given his experience at Lex Cath, which is a similar size to Highlands. But he's spent over a decade in schools with 3000+ students now, so it's gonna be a sea change to go back to Highlands with its roundabout 1000 student enrollment.

I could be wrong, but based on how long he's been coaching, I would have to guess Sphire is more likely to pick up a fishing pole after his current job than he is to pick up and move 9 hours north for a new coaching job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

An interesting thought, given his experience at Lex Cath, which is a similar size to Highlands. But he's spent over a decade in schools with 3000+ students now, so it's gonna be a sea change to go back to Highlands with its roundabout 1000 student enrollment.

I could be wrong, but based on how long he's been coaching, I would have to guess Sphire is more likely to pick up a fishing pole after his current job than he is to pick up and move 9 hours north for a new coaching job.

Hey it’s 2020, almost anything can happen... just throwing out names of interest that I think could right the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Based on your posts circa 2008-2014, I'm pretty sure you would be the first person in line to shine a light on any perceived misfortunes that might befall the CCH athletic programs. Hell, I don't feel like that's really changed in the last half a decade either. But someone (accurately) points out that Highlands has pushed out 3 of their last 4 football coaches, and you want to make it out like doing that is a no-no?

Somebody can dish it out but can't take it back.

Great points but not totally accurate. 
I have no issue dishing it or taking it. I do have a sense of humor though that some don’t think is funny at all, so be it.

2 of 3 coaches didn’t get the job done and yes we’re shown the door and 1 was really getting it done but not on the field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

I agree with CWB above but I would LOVE to see Bob Sphire at Highlands.

Whoever it is, they better be a gifted offensive coach. 

Actually I think Rodenburg could be a really good hire, right now Highlands needs a doer and not a yes man. 

Sometimes a tough hard nose coach that nobody knows or has any ties to might be what the Dr ordered. He doesn’t care who the legacy names or history is, he just wants to Win and nobody better get in his way. I would support this type of coach. Of course only if he wins...

• Like 2