Open Job: Highlands

theguru

5 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

I get that, and I don't blame Highlands for moving on. I just hope no one expects the new coach to come in and just flip a switch, as if that's all it takes. Even if they hit a home run with this hire, it's unreasonable to expect a return to the peak of the Highlands dynasty, which happened to occur under Mueller's watch. I suspect there are a lot of folks in Fort Thomas that expect that very thing to happen. 

But, to an extent, it's hard to blame people. When you're in the midst of all that winning that's been going on for decades, it's easy to take it all for granted and assume that this is just how it's supposed to be, when in fact, it's not.

And if he does? What would that say about a program and community like Highlands?

Dont be too sure of what might happen at other schools will  happen at Highlands 

I would say a few Nky coaches that appear to be content,happy and successful  at their schools might just apply at a storied program such as Highlands despite what leaders might think. 

Why not, if I were coaching on both sides of I75 along Dixie Hwy I would say I’m listening... never say never boys and girls

This will get very interesting, pay raises all around 

8 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

And if he does? What would that say about a program and community like Highlands?

Dont be too sure of what might happen at other schools will  happen at Highlands 

It would say just as much about the new coach as anything else. It's all symbiotic. If the program and community at Highlands were all it took to maintain that high standard, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

Not so long ago I believe the Blueboys went through 3 coaches in what 5 yrs. 

Don't poke the bear...

Based on your posts circa 2008-2014, I'm pretty sure you would be the first person in line to shine a light on any perceived misfortunes that might befall the CCH athletic programs. Hell, I don't feel like that's really changed in the last half a decade either. But someone (accurately) points out that Highlands has pushed out 3 of their last 4 football coaches, and you want to make it out like doing that is a no-no?

Somebody can dish it out but can't take it back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I agree that it will be a fresh new start for HHS. However, it’s up to the players and how good they want to be. IMO coaching can only do so much. If you have ELITE players like mentioned above (Mayers, Butlers, McGinness, Coldiron, Pike, Etc.) you are going to win and make it to state titles. Everyone knows they put in the work, but they were gifted! In BW era, teams thought they were just going to walk in and be handed a state title because of what happened while they grew upon Fort Thomas... 7 state title appearances. Obviously the coaching staff probably made that a big ordeal. But players didn’t want to put in the work until it was to late. It’s a grind and Covington Catholic has made it their mission to kick Highlands butt since Eviston stepped in. Who knows, maybe this new coach will bring in a great culture and things will go back to normal. 

Anyone want to conjecture about who will be applying or interviewing? Or who HHS is going to be reaching out to?

My understanding has been that Steve Lickert left Campbell County and took the job at NCC in hopes of having an appearance or two in the state finals as a resume booster for the day and time that the job came available on Memorial Parkway. Guessing Jeff Barth will be involved in the conversation somewhere along the line too. Chris Wolfe, well, we all know that there will be talk about him applying or being asked to apply. Any chance of that? I've seen Marc Clark and Andrew Coverdale mentioned elsewhere.

How about John Rodenberg? He certainly seems like he's a gun for hire with a good resume and Greater Cincy roots. He holds 4 state titles in 3 different states.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

Anyone want to conjecture about who will be applying or interviewing? Or who HHS is going to be reaching out to?

My understanding has been that Steve Lickert left Campbell County and took the job at NCC in hopes of having an appearance or two in the state finals as a resume booster for the day and time that the job came available on Memorial Parkway. Guessing Jeff Barth will be involved in the conversation somewhere along the line too. Chris Wolfe, well, we all know that there will be talk about him applying or being asked to apply. Any chance of that? I've seen Marc Clark and Andrew Coverdale mentioned elsewhere.

How about John Rodenberg? He certainly seems like he's a gun for hire with a good resume and Greater Cincy roots. He holds 4 state titles in 3 different states.

Coach Rodenberg has an amazing resume but he strikes me like Tom Duffy 2.0 at Highlands. 

1 hour ago, The Oracle said:

I don't see Lickert, Barth or Rodenberg as good solutions. I would expect there to be better options for Highlands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't see Lickert, Barth or Rodenberg as good solutions. I would expect there to be better options for Highlands.

Definitely agree about Barth. Tend to agree with you on Lickert too. Rodenberg, I'd tend to agree with theguru's sentiment. Rody coaches football as a job, not as a calling. He could more than likely come in and do good things at Highlands if hired. Not sure how long he would or wouldn't stay. He was happy at Moeller and stayed there until he was shown the door so who knows, maybe that could happen at Highlands.

• Like 3