What is your favorite cut of steak?

Randy Parker

10 hours ago, nkypete said:

I realize that prime rib is technically a roast, not a steak.  But I do prefer it when cooked properly.

This almost makes up for the goetta thing.  We could possibly be friends again.  

• Like 1

A 2" thick t-bone if I'm cooking it myself. Best of both worlds as you get a strip and a filet, bone in. At a restaurant it really depends on how well I trust them to get the internal temperature right. But generally I go with a filet or a ribeye as both are hard to screw up even if you don't get the internal temp right.

I love prime rib as well but its hard to find a good prime rib at a restaurant and I only due a couple a year at home due to the price and how much meat that gets turned into leftovers.

1 hour ago, DragonFire said:

I hate the size of it, but the Filet Mignon tends to be the best flavor for me.

I do tend to get sirloins, mostly because I have found their flavor consistent.  For some reason, ribeyes almost always disappoint me.

Ribeyes are easier to screw up due to the amount of fat. But the flavor that comes from it being done correctly, is unmatched in the steak department. Most of the bad ribeyes I’ve had are from poor cuts of beef. Ribeyes have to be USDA prime or higher. If you go choice you’re taking a big gamble. 

If I'm at a premium steakhouse, it's a Filet all day. If I'm a Texas Roadhouse type of place it's Sirloin, it's really hard to screw up a sirloin.

As Grant said, Wagyu or Kobe is really hard to beat. Most tender steaks that I've ever had. The taste is a slight bit "wild" but they are great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

At Christmas we grill the whole beef tenderloin after a day of marinating.  Slice around 1 to 1 1/2 inches.  Perfect.  

We’ve done this the last several years as well. I don’t marinate though.  Just cover it in a garlic pepper rub, and let it sit overnight and then grill.

• Like 1