What is your favorite cut of steak?

Randy Parker

32 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’m in the minority, but I really don’t like any bone in cuts. Typically too much fat, and just not enjoyable for me to eat.  

If you are simply grilling a steak, the value of a bone is negligible. If you are slow cooking or submerging meat in water, then a bone makes a difference.

People like the bone because they think it looks cool and told it changes the flavor, but it doesn't. The difference in flavor is most likely due to the meat temperature being closer to the bone.

Bones (for steak) do nothing but get in the way on the grill.

• Like 3

Next time you go to Ruby’s order the bone in filet or next time you go to Malone’s order the Randall Cobb. Tell me afterwords that the bone doesn’t change the flavor. It’s undeniably better imo. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Next time you go to Ruby’s order the bone in filet or next time you go to Malone’s order the Randall Cobb. Tell me afterwords that the bone doesn’t change the flavor. It’s undeniably better imo. 

I'm with you. I'm a NY Strip guy, but I'm not denying that you're wrong...bone-in makes the flavor better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm with you. I'm a NY Strip guy, but I'm not denying that you're wrong...bone-in makes the flavor better.

I’m more of a ribeye guy myself, but I think the biggest difference in flavor from bone in to bone out is found in filets since they have less fat than strips and ribeyes. But main point is the same. Steaks are better with bone in. 

10 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Trying to compare the quality of meat and cooking capabilities between a Jeff Ruby's and what 95% of regulars go with is the biggest difference here. For your average Joe Ruby with a two-burner gas grill and $10.99/lb ribeye, the bone is not going to make a difference. It scientifically doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Trying to compare the quality of meat and cooking capabilities between a Jeff Ruby's and what 95% of regulars go with is the biggest difference here. For your average Joe Ruby with a two-burner gas grill and $10.99/lb ribeye, the bone is not going to make a difference. It scientifically doesn't make sense.

Agreed. Comparing any steak at Jeff Ruby's to any steak at Texas Roadhouse (and I LOVE TR btw) or that you'd cook at home is silly. 

27 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I've gotta disagree a little. Sure, a lot of folks don't know how to grill a steak anything but well....but I think the difference between the taste of a boneless NY Strip and the NY Strip still attached to the T-Bone is easily decipherable, even without much fancy aging or particularly skilled cooking.

Yeah, bone-in definitely adds flavor. My tastebuds have scientifically proven this to be fact. 

Next time you try a bone in steak, do a side by side with the meat from the edge of the steak and meat from right next to the bone. The flavor is different even though the meat is from the same steak. 

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've gotta disagree a little. Sure, a lot of folks don't know how to grill a steak anything but well....but I think the difference between the taste of a boneless NY Strip and the NY Strip still attached to the T-Bone is easily decipherable, even without much fancy aging or particularly skilled cooking.

The way I understand you get succulent flavors because of bone marrow seeping through. While penetrable, you can't really accomplish that in the 15 minutes or less it takes to prepare a steak. Bones take a while to heat and become permeable which is why the temps are different (i.e. colder) near a bone. Now maybe at a fancy steak house their setup can accomplish that, but their meat quality is vastly superior.

My theory is most people overcook steak and near the bone it tastes better simply because it is 10 degrees cooler, which is how it should be prepared.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bugatti said:

I understand that of course the quality of the meat makes a huge difference. All I’m saying that in my experience it makes a difference in the flavor of the meat with bone in. On the occasion that I am at one of the more upscale steakhouse chains, I always go bone in. 

23 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

I’m more of a ribeye guy myself, but I think the biggest difference in flavor from bone in to bone out is found in filets since they have less fat than strips and ribeyes. But main point is the same. Steaks are better with bone in. 

Again, it's not so much about taste for me.  I don't regularly purchase prime beef...it's simply too expensive.  So I can't speak for what a prime bone-in  ribeye would be like. In what I get that's commonly available, there is too much fat and connective tissue in bone in cuts.  I personally do not like eating fat or the connective tissue, which you can't properly render when cooking on a grill.  So while the taste may be better, it's a much worse eating experience.  I'll stick to the boneless cuts while at home.

To be fair, I've never had a bone in cut of steak from a high end steak place.  Even at Ruby's places, I stick to Filets.

• Like 1