What is your favorite cut of steak?

Randy Parker

2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Again, it's not so much about taste for me.  I don't regularly purchase prime beef...it's simply too expensive.  So I can't speak for what a prime bone-in  ribeye would be like. In what I get that's commonly available, there is too much fat and connective tissue in bone in cuts.  I personally do not like eating fat or the connective tissue, which you can't properly render when cooking on a grill.  So while the taste may be better, it's a much worse eating experience.  I'll stick to the boneless cuts while at home.

To be fair, I've never had a bone in cut of steak from a high end steak place.  Even at Ruby's places, I stick to Filets.

Prime is ridiculously expensive. But deals can be found. I’m usually able to find 2 packs of prime ribeyes or strips at Sams Club for under $25. $12.50 per steak isn’t bad when it’s prime. I agree that if the fat isn’t rendered down well enough, the steak sucks no matter what the grade is. Next time you’re at Ruby’s though, they do have a bone in ribeye. At least they did the last time I was at the one in Cincy over a year or so ago. 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:14 PM, bugatti said:

The way I understand you get succulent flavors because of bone marrow seeping through. While penetrable, you can't really accomplish that in the 15 minutes or less it takes to prepare a steak. Bones take a while to heat and become permeable which is why the temps are different (i.e. colder) near a bone. Now maybe at a fancy steak house their setup can accomplish that, but their meat quality is vastly superior.

My theory is most people overcook steak and near the bone it tastes better simply because it is 10 degrees cooler, which is how it should be prepared.

It can be done at home, though most people don't know how to do it, so you're likely right about most people overcooking their steaks at home. A lot of the nice steakhouses use sous vide these days to slow cook the steaks then they essentially just sear them to finish them. 

If you have the right grill you can do the same at home (or of course you could sous vide it at home) just by grilling indirect at a low temperature. If you want it to be medium rare just pull it off the grill when its rare, heat the grill to searing temps and put a quick sear on the steak. 

• 2 weeks later...

1-1/2 lb Ribeyes USDA Prime from Aldi. Yes Aldi of all places. You have to get there early in the mornings cause someone buys all of them out whenever I go. I have been lucky here lately and found some. Great steaks for the price, around $11-13 each.