Coronavirus Courtesy

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever. Don’t care. It’s a strange world that we live in. People are going to interpret their entitlement the way that they want to.

For the old lady shopping, who lives alone with no help/no family, I’m wearing my mask for her.

I'm not sure I've expressed an opinion one way or another on this topic. Just trying to lighten it up some (Note the smile and light-hearted apology.) because it was getting a bit tense in here. That obviously offended you, I apologize.

Whatever. Don’t care. It’s a strange world that we live in. People are going to interpret their entitlement the way that they want to.

For the old lady shopping, who lives alone with no help/no family, I’m wearing my mask for her.

Excellent points hoops5.

There are all kinds of masks out there, none of which are medically proven to stop Corona virus transmission entirely. However, it is reasonable to think that if everyone wears them, transmission can be reduced because there aren’t coughs and sneezes spraying all over the place. That plus social distancing is reasonable.

This is all new, so scientifically testing these practices will take time we don’t have. The choice to not wear one tells others around you that you don’t care if you spread it. Wearing one is respectful and shows we are trying to protect others, not ourselves. If we find out down the road, masks and distancing had zero effect, at least we tried. I am guessing that this will not be the case.

Given what we have been through, wearing a mask is not a big deal. I am astounded that people choose to make it one.

Was at Menards in Florence yesterday, mask required with a guard standing by the entrance, seems everyone was wearing them and keeping their distance in line, it was a week day and not super crowded, I wonder if more stores will start posting guards and enforce the mask more, I personally have no problem either way, must admit if I run into a speedway or carry out I usually don’t, but have to wear at the airport if in the terminal.

Was at Menards in Florence yesterday, mask required with a guard standing by the entrance, seems everyone was wearing them and keeping their distance in line, it was a week day and not super crowded, I wonder if more stores will start posting guards and enforce the mask more, I personally have no problem either way, must admit if I run into a speedway or carry out I usually don’t, but have to wear at the airport if in the terminal.

Was there on Saturday. There were several people standing in line for the return desk right inside the door. All, obviously, had their masks on. The guard was there at that time, too. Saw a half dozen people walk in before me, and all had their masks on before entering the door. There was the couple right in front of me, though, who didn't. In fact, when the guard stopped them, the lady let out an exaggerated sigh and started saying that she "thought" she may have one in her purse. Her husband, though, didn't have one on him, and asked pretty sarcastically "is it really necessary?" I walked around them and went to get a cart, so I ultimately didn't see/hear what happened next. What I did notice after I got my cart, however, was that everyone in the store visible from that immediate area had a mask on...both employees and customers. So, it should have been fairly evident to that couple, that everyone else was complying.

Now, saying that...once I got further into the store, I came across several people who had shifted their mask down on their face or neck. I just tried to maintain some reasonable space when we came into the same area. But, I will admit, on more than one occasion, I'm standing midway down an aisle and someone passed me without wearing their mask properly. There was nothing I could really do, other than to try to turn my back to them and hope.

Now, saying that...once I got further into the store, I came across several people who had shifted their mask down on their face or neck. I just tried to maintain some reasonable space when we came into the same area. But, I will admit, on more than one occasion, I'm standing midway down an aisle and someone passed me without wearing their mask properly. There was nothing I could really do, other than to try to turn my back to them and hope.

And has anybody else noticed that when you try not to make sure you don't cough, that's always the time you get a tickle in your throat and feel like it needs to be cleared. :lol2:

Was there on Saturday. There were several people standing in line for the return desk right inside the door. All, obviously, had their masks on. The guard was there at that time, too. Saw a half dozen people walk in before me, and all had their masks on before entering the door. There was the couple right in front of me, though, who didn't. In fact, when the guard stopped them, the lady let out an exaggerated sigh and started saying that she "thought" she may have one in her purse. Her husband, though, didn't have one on him, and asked pretty sarcastically "is it really necessary?" I walked around them and went to get a cart, so I ultimately didn't see/hear what happened next. What I did notice after I got my cart, however, was that everyone in the store visible from that immediate area had a mask on...both employees and customers. So, it should have been fairly evident to that couple, that everyone else was complying.

And then there is the is other level of "enforcement" (boy is Orwell laughing right now).

Wife goes to pharmaceutical store. Big sign - must wear mask. She uses dust mask from Lowes that does not fit anyway and its in car. So she asked the woman once inside. - do we really need to? Employee woman - "Oh no honey, I need to take that sign down. Thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't wear one if they did not make us now." And her mask was below her nose.

Pharmacist - no mask. Three other people that came in after her - no mask.

And then there is the is other level of "enforcement" (boy is Orwell laughing right now).

Wife goes to pharmaceutical store. Big sign - must wear mask. She uses dust mask from Lowes that does not fit anyway and its in car. So she asked the woman once inside. - do we really need to? Employee woman - "Oh no honey, I need to take that sign down. Thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't wear one if they did not make us now." And her mask was below her nose.

Pharmacist - no mask. Three other people that came in after her - no mask.

Had to stop at our pharmacy on the way home Saturday. They were still only drive-thru only at that time, and the girl who came to the window was wearing a mask. Couldn't really see the faces of any of the other employees in there at that time, so don't know if they were wearing them or not.

I think the matter of wearing a mask or not wearing a mask should be based on the reasonable expectation of a threat actually existing, and the degree of which exists of us actually and realistically passing this virus from one of us to another.

Since the threat varies from state to state and even county to county within a state, the actual need to wear masks needs to be based on the actual threat.

The degree to which the public deems the threat is manifest in the number of folks actually wearing masks within a community. IF a reasonable threat does not exist, as shown in the numbers exhibited in Northern Kentucky, then the need to wear masks is miniscule. Social distancing will further diminish the possibility of passing the disease from one of us to another drops that possibility to near-zero.

At that point insisting that 100% of us who live in that community wear masks "as a courtesy" is unreasonable.

When I wear a mask in public:

-I want you to know that I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.

- No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

- I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me;” I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society and I want to teach others the same.

-The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.

-If we all could live with other people's consideration in mind, this whole world would be a much better place.

- Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.

-When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, grandparent, aunt, or uncle - choking on a respirator , alone without you or any family member allowed at bedside.

-Ask yourself if you could have sucked it up a little for them.

-I want you to know that I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.

- No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

- I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me;” I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society and I want to teach others the same.

-If we all could live with other people's consideration in mind, this whole world would be a much better place.

- Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.

-When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, grandparent, aunt, or uncle - choking on a respirator , alone without you or any family member allowed at bedside.

Well said!

Can we get this on a t-shirt?