Coronavirus Courtesy

I don't necessarily disagree with Guru's statement. But outside of that is why would the people wearing masks want to confront and potentially get in a hands on altercation with someone not wearing one? That seems counterproductive to me as well as a good way to get exposed to said virus. Why not just distance yourself from whomever isn't wearing the mask?

Seems like a much better idea to me than confronting them and telling them they have to wear one. I can't see anything good coming from confronting or fighting with someone just because they're not wearing a mask. If the mask wearer is that concerned about it then stay away from them or just stay home. You can literally order anything you would ever need to survive these days so they're essentially picking a fight, with someone they likely don't want to fight with.

I agree with the idea no good can come from confronting someone not wearing a mask. Businesses have every right to turn away antimaskers.

On the flip side, don’t come at anyone for wearing a mask.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the idea no good can come from confronting someone not wearing a mask. Businesses have every right to turn away antimaskers.

On the flip side, don’t come at anyone for wearing a mask.

I can agree with all points there. People are on edge and need to stay in their lane and I'm not talking about the one way lanes at the stores either, those are pretty much useless as well. But yeah a business has every right to refuse entry to a customer that is not wearing a mask though. To be honest I haven't encountered one of those businesses yet, in fact most that I'm in don't even have their employees wearing masks.

Do we really need scientific data?

Let's think. Which spreads more germs - coughing with a mask or coughing without a mask?

There is a lot of value in common sense and caring about others.

Yes. We do. The podium people say all directives are based on science. This goes back to the frustration with the make-to-up-as-you-go-along-for-any-reason approach.

For the cough - the answer is both will "spread" same amount of "shedding". Without a mask may go further but the density will be lower. With a mask, the same amount of volume should escape - and hence the same amount of shed. If the same amount of volume does not escape - then you are breathing your own exhale the next time - and that will have more CO2 than O2. So lets hope that the volume is equal. But the velocity maybe less as there deflection of direction in the mask but then the density will be higher around the person. If an employee is shedding virus and working in the same area for a few hours - they will contaminate the area. So forcing employees to wear masks solves really nothing.

Shedders are going to shed - mask or not. They will contaminate the environment if they are really infected. If you are showiing any signs of illness - isolate. That should be the direction it seems.

I can agree with all points there. People are on edge and need to stay in their lane and I'm not talking about the one way lanes at the stores either, those are pretty much useless as well. But yeah a business has every right to refuse entry to a customer that is not wearing a mask though. To be honest I haven't encountered one of those businesses yet, in fact most that I'm in don't even have their employees wearing masks.

As of Monday every business I went into all the employees had on masks. In the auto parts store, I didn’t wear a mask, because I saw I was the only car in the parking lot . FWIW, my mask was in my pocket if business picked up, or I was asked to put it on.

Fair enough. That is being courteous. But I am curious. Why not put on a mask, even if you don't think there is value in wearing one? What if the person waiting on you asked you to wear a mask because an employee has heart disease or cancer and is high risk?

For the bolded a lot of people not wearing masks belive they can actually be a bad thing. One reason is they're not that effective, another is you're breathing in your own expended air can result in low blood/oxygen levels over long periods of time. They're also uncomfortable which can cause rashes and itchiness, which both cause people to touch their face more often. Not to mention that if the mask is really effective you're weakening your immune system every day you wear it. There are as many reasons to not wear the mask as there are to wear one. It wasn't that long ago that the CDC itself said that the general public should not be wearing them.

I think that is a fair question to ask - what about courtesy to you not wanting to wear a mask. My answer there goes to my smoking analogy above. There are a lot of people who would like to smoke inside, but they don't do it. Sometimes you give a little to be respectful and courteous to others.

Your response above is good if you are determined not to wear a mask.

Smoking bans and such have laws and city ordinances keeping people from doing that, as well as businesses that do allow it being fined. Completely different scenario, imo.

Essential business employee? Employee chooses to work?

Most hospitals furloughed essential employees that were high risk a while back, whether you were a nurse or parked cars for the valet services. If you're someone that is high risk you shouldn't be working, whether it be with a mask on or not.

For the bolded a lot of people not wearing masks belive they can actually be a bad thing. One reason is they're not that effective, another is you're breathing in your own expended air can result in low blood/oxygen levels over long periods of time. They're also uncomfortable which can cause rashes and itchiness, which both cause people to touch their face more often. Not to mention that if the mask is really effective you're weakening your immune system every day you wear it. There are as many reasons to not wear the mask as there are to wear one. It wasn't that long ago that the CDC itself said that the general public should not be wearing them.

I believe anyone who refuses to wear a mask does so for selfish reasons. They find excuses to try and legitimize their selfishness. I do not want to wear a mask. They are not a fail safe protection. But I will wear one out of courtesy for others. Not wearing one just isn't that important to me, it isn't that uncomfortable, it isn't even much of an inconvenience.

Another thing with the masks is that most people I see wearing them aren't wearing n95 masks or better. They're wearing cloth masks that are home made by someone selling them for profit, or at least the price of material, which is fine. But what if the person selling or distributing those type of masks, which aren't much more useful than covering your face with your own hands when you sneeze or cough, had covid when they made the mask? You're essentially putting it right up against your nose and mouth, breathing the spores in voluntarily at that point. I'll pass on that.

EDIT: On top of that a good friend of mine works in the marine division for an oil refinery. The masks they were given were made in Wuhan, China. I'll pass on wearing one of those as well.

I believe anyone who refuses to wear a mask does so for selfish reasons. They find excuses to try and legitimize their selfishness. I do not want to wear a mask. They are not a fail safe protection. But I will wear one out of courtesy for others. Not wearing one just isn't that important to me.

What about people that have labor intensive jobs? There are many negative effects for otherwise healthy people that wear masks in that type of work setting.

What about people that have labor intensive jobs? There are many negative effects for otherwise healthy people that wear masks in that type of work setting.

I am sure there are a number of situations like this that not wearing a mask is understandable. Show courtesy where you can. Reduce risk. Show you care about others. I don't want another shutdown.

I don’t care if someone wears a mask or not. I think it should be optional and not mandatory. I did see two people get in a argument over it at Kroger. Person wearing mask was more exposed arguing than if they just walked by and not said anything.

I had to fly today for the first time since quarantine started. I flew American and they required everyone to wear masks while boarding and throughout the flight. I didn’t have a problem with it. I hate wearing the mask though. But I had no issues with it though because I know it gives others piece of mind even if I believe it does little to no good. It’s a little thing that if it makes people feel better, fine with me. I don’t wear my mask if I go to the grocery or really ever at all, but wore it today with no issues because I felt like it was the right thing to do.

I will say however I did have a little issue with my flight attendant today. I was on a small plane. 2 seats on each side of the aisle. It was a full flight. I was in the very back but they kept the back 2 rows empty to allow social distancing for the lavatory. But a gentleman 2 rows in front of me saw they were empty and moved back there while we were taxiing from the gate and the flight attendant told him he couldn’t sit there because it violated their social distancing practices. He didn’t really say anything and just went back to his seat. But I looked at the flight attendant and said, please explain to me how making him go back to his seat sitting next to a complete stranger on a full flight is better social distancing than letting him sit in a row by himself. She mumbled her snooty response about it being social distancing for the lavatory completely ignoring the fact that if someone needed to use the bathroom they had to walk past all of the people to get to the bathroom anyways. My gf gave me a look like please don’t make a scene so I let it go, but I was just like wow. How could a company as big as American Airlines come up with such a ridiculous policy? I mean that was literally the dumbest thing I’ve heard. I sat there and laughed about it the entire flight.