Coronavirus Courtesy

Last I saw, the WHO's position on masks was that they weren't taking one and deferring to national health organizations to make their own recommendations, which takes us to the CDC, which recommends masks in areas where social distancing is difficult.

I don't know the context of that clip of Fauci, but in that context, he's not wrong. It's also not what we're talking about. He also uses the term "perfect protection", which obviously isn't what we're talking about either. Maybe some context of when he said that and why would be helpful.

It came from a 60 minutes segment. CBS has removed the segment from their websites.

My issue with the directive is that the powers that be have had 20+ years to establish scenarios for pandemics. Most global companies have had pandemic planning as part of their continuity planning for at least 10 years. Yet, it looks like its all "make-it-up-as-you-go-along" and changing of directives and directions on a regular basis. Thus, most of these directives look arbitrary and capicious in nature and give anyone who recognizes it pause since they know they are not getting accurate or truthful information based on science (never seen the double-blind for mask in public study).

Regardless, we should all be polite. Some people are frayed due to fear of the virus, others are frayed due to the issues above. Any employee in the public right now should get a citizens medal. They have their own reasons for being frayed and worried and then have to deal with people who are frayed for whatever reason. Many have their masks down so that they can get work done - heavy labor, on the phone, etc. Most I have talked to do not want to wear the mask - but they do as they are told. So while I have issues with the mask approach I want to be in a position to de-escalate if needed and not escalate any situation. Hence keeping a bandana in the pocket - just in case someone creates an issue or is forceful about it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came from a 60 minutes segment. CBS has removed the segment from their websites.

My issue with the directive is that the powers that be have had 20+ years to establish scenarios for pandemics. Most global companies have had pandemic planning as part of their continuity planning for at least 10 years. Yet, it looks like its all "make-it-up-as-you-go-along" and changing of directives and directions on a regular basis. Thus, most of these directives look arbitrary and capicious in nature and give anyone who recognizes it pause since they know they are not getting accurate or truthful information based on science (never seen the double-blind for mask in public study).

Regardless, we should all be polite. Some people are frayed due to fear of the virus, others are frayed due to the issues above. Any employee in the public right now should get a citizens medal. They have their own reasons for being frayed and worried and then have to deal with people who are frayed for whatever reason. Many have their masks down so that they can get work done - heavy labor, on the phone, etc. Most I have talked to do not want to wear the mask - but they do as they are told. So while I have issues with the mask approach I want to be in a position to de-escalate if needed and not escalate any situation. Hence keeping a bandana in the pocket - just in case someone creates an issue or is forceful about it.

I was thinking the same thing about a double-blind mask study. Or even a meaningful study on the most common items used as masks and their effectiveness.

If masks are "required" then we should have very strict scientific standards on the types of masks that are required. I would assume at a minimum the requirement should be a N95 mask but if we are serious it should be the next level of protection up.

Also, until every last person (which means everyone on TV and everyone every where for that matter) is wearing a mask full time I don't want to hear about masks. In other words, there should be ONE STANDARD that applies to everyone and anything short of that is unscientific.

Fair enough. That is being courteous. But I am curious. Why not put on a mask, even if you don't think there is value in wearing one? What if the person waiting on you asked you to wear a mask because an employee has heart disease or cancer and is high risk?

According to the current guidelines shouldnt that high risk employee still be in quarantine? And aren't employers supposed to recognize when one of it's employees falls into those high risk categories?

According to the current guidelines shouldnt that high risk employee still be in quarantine? And aren't employers supposed to recognize when one of it's employees falls into those high risk categories?

Essential business employee? Employee chooses to work?

I was thinking the same thing about a double-blind mask study. Or even a meaningful study on the most common items used as masks and their effectiveness.

If masks are "required" then we should have very strict scientific standards on the types of masks that are required. I would assume at a minimum the requirement should be a N95 mask but if we are serious it should be the next level of protection up.

Also, until every last person (which means everyone on TV and everyone every where for that matter) is wearing a mask full time I don't want to hear about masks. In other words, there should be ONE STANDARD that applies to everyone and anything short of that is unscientific.

Do we really need scientific data?

Let's think. Which spreads more germs - coughing with a mask or coughing without a mask?

There is a lot of value in common sense and caring about others.

That's the silliest standard I've ever heard.

N95 masks and respirators are designed for the maximum protection of the WEARER. It's designed to filter out foreign particles and molecules to protect your respiratory system from all sorts of dangerous stuff.

That is NOT the purpose of a cloth mask for your face when you walk in to pick up your carryout from the restaurant down the street.

The cloth mask is designed to protect OTHERS from your respiratory emissions. It is just one element of a larger personal responsibility regimen (along with hand washing, social distancing, etc.) to slow the community spread of the disease.

Essential business employee? Employee chooses to work?

I didn't set up the guidelines, but my understanding was that employers are supposed to try to recognize and accommodate employees that fall into the high risk categories? Has that changed or did it never stick?

Last I saw, the WHO's position on masks was that they weren't taking one and deferring to national health organizations to make their own recommendations, which takes us to the CDC, which recommends masks in areas where social distancing is difficult.

I don't know the context of that clip of Fauci, but in that context, he's not wrong. It's also not what we're talking about. He also uses the term "perfect protection", which obviously isn't what we're talking about either. Maybe some context of when he said that and why would be helpful.

You could always contact Dr. Fauci and tell him that everyone you know who has actually studied medicine disagrees with him. :idunno:

I didn't set up the guidelines, but my understanding was that employers are supposed to try to recognize and accommodate employees that fall into the high risk categories? Has that changed or did it never stick?

I believe a high risk employee could choose to work at an essential business. High risk for CV19 covers a lot of people.

That's the silliest standard I've ever heard.

N95 masks and respirators are designed for the maximum protection of the WEARER. It's designed to filter out foreign particles and molecules to protect your respiratory system from all sorts of dangerous stuff.

That is NOT the purpose of a cloth mask for your face when you walk in to pick up your carryout from the restaurant down the street.

The cloth mask is designed to protect OTHERS from your respiratory emissions. It is just one element of a larger personal responsibility regimen (along with hand washing, social distancing, etc.) to slow the community spread of the disease.

Right, different standards for everyone...

And while I am at it social distancing is stupid, it is the wrong terminology, and six feet is an arbitrary distance not based in science.

Right, different standards for everyone...

And while I am at it social distancing is stupid, it is the wrong terminology, and six feet is an arbitrary distance not based in science.

Is courtesy for others a factor at all, whether it be social distancing or masks or other rules?

If masks and social distancing help get us to football in the fall, why not give it a try? We have aready seen what no masks, no social distancing and the old rules get us - a shutdown and 88,000+ dead.

Do we really need scientific data?

Let's think. Which spreads more germs - coughing with a mask or coughing without a mask?

There is a lot of value in common sense and caring about others.

Yes, let's think, what happens when a moist, bacteria laden, nasty, virus laden, gross, mucus laden mask is constantly being touched before touching other surfaces/items in public?

Even Dr. Fauci addresses this specific issue with masks.

Yes, let's think, what happens when a moist, bacteria laden, nasty, virus laden, gross, mucus laden mask is constantly being touched before touching other surfaces/items in public?

Even Dr. Fauci addresses this specific issue with masks.

Still lower risk than no mask.