Coronavirus Courtesy

You're probably right on the effectiveness, but I have hard time thinking it is zero benefit. Maybe it is only 1%. That said, if I can bring about a sense of security with this, I am not going to take a stand against others that need said sense of security.

It is pretty simple science, the size of the COVID19 virus is small enough to slip through most barriers N95 and down.

With that said, I have mentioned it before and obviously any barrier can help with the big chunks but that also means people are walking around with cesspools on their face, they touch their face, and then they touch things that others touch. So while there may be some minor benefits there is also the other side of it where masks can act as a catalyst for other types of exposure.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a ridiculous baseless thing to say. Not wearing a mask doesn’t make you a tough guy.

I am not saying not wearing a mask makes you a tough girl/guy, I am saying in my experience the alphas among us mostly say no to masks and the followers among us mostly say yes to masks.

We can argue about whether or not we should be wearing masks in public, but if you're a person who's like the guy purposely coughing on stuff, you've deserve whatever you've got coming to you... and I hope it's bad.

I get being annoyed about having to wear a mask. I'll be honest and say me wearing a mask depends on how busy a place is when I go. If it looks busy, I'll probably put mine on. If it's not, I won't. If someone tells me I can't enter a business without one on, I'll either put mine on or I'll leave, without making a big deal about it.

It's pretty simple, don't be a jerk. The world doesn't revolve around you. It's not like you don't have options. Put on a mask, go somewhere that doesn't require you to, or stay home. Nobody cares what right you THINK is being infringed upon.

I agree, I will not wear a mask anywhere that I go. Not a believer in their effectiveness.

But I'll also plead for everyone being respectful. I've had one place of business ask for me to put a mask on. I told the employee no thanks, and they told me it was store policy. I politely told the employee that I wouldn't shop there until there policy changes. I made no scene, and left immediately.

I have yet to witness anyone being a jerk about the mask whether it be a mask supporter or no masker. There is a respectful way to go about this, just be polite and patient.

I agree, I will not wear a mask anywhere that I go. Not a believer in their effectiveness.

But I'll also plead for everyone being respectful. I've had one place of business ask for me to put a mask on. I told the employee no thanks, and they told me it was store policy. I politely told the employee that I wouldn't shop there until there policy changes. I made no scene, and left immediately.

I have yet to witness anyone being a jerk about the mask whether it be a mask supporter or no masker. There is a respectful way to go about this, just be polite and patient.

I think this is right on.

And for the record, I would never ever ever give anyone a hard time in public because they choose to wear a mask. More power to them.

Fair enough. That is being courteous. But I am curious. Why not put on a mask, even if you don't think there is value in wearing one? What if the person waiting on you asked you to wear a mask because an employee has heart disease or cancer and is high risk?

I saw a meme over the weekend that I found appropriate. The gist of it was that if you would carry a gun under the guise that you are protecting others but you won’t wear a mask to potentially do the same, you’re probably just carrying the gun to feel macho.

I wholly agreed with that sentiment.

Wearing a mask doesn’t make you weak or a follower. Is it a guarantee that you won’t get or give the virus because of a piece of cloth? No. But isn’t it worth it to try? Even for the potential for a small benefit?

I saw a meme over the weekend that I found appropriate. The gist of it was that if you would carry a gun under the guise that you are protecting others but you won’t wear a mask to potentially do the same, you’re probably just carrying the gun to feel macho.

I wholly agreed with that sentiment.

Wearing a mask doesn’t make you weak or a follower. Is it a guarantee that you won’t get or give the virus because of a piece of cloth? No. But isn’t it worth it to try? Even for the potential for a small benefit?

I saw a meme too over the weekend:

truth2.jpg

I can feel my brain biggening from all the awesome science being referred to in this thread.

Masks help stop spread. That's it.

The CDC says so. Johns Hopkins says so. The Mayo clinic says so.

What's the problem here?

Fair enough. That is being courteous. But I am curious. Why not put on a mask, even if you don't think there is value in wearing one? What if the person waiting on you asked you to wear a mask because an employee has heart disease or cancer and is high risk?

Were they not all of these things before all of this. It's my position that high risk people shouldn't be out and putting themselves at risk. Us healthy folks should be the ones who are placing ourselves at risk.

And for your scenario, I'd ask if they could find someone else to serve me. If not, then again, I'll politely leave without making a scene.

Edited by Kentucky Windage

I can feel my brain biggening from all the awesome science being referred to in this thread.

Masks help stop spread. That's it.

The CDC says so. Johns Hopkins says so. The Mayo clinic says so.

What's the problem here?

The sources are too mainstream.

We can argue about whether or not we should be wearing masks in public, but if you're a person who's like the guy purposely coughing on stuff, you've deserve whatever you've got coming to you... and I hope it's bad.

I get being annoyed about having to wear a mask. I'll be honest and say me wearing a mask depends on how busy a place is when I go. If it looks busy, I'll probably put mine on. If it's not, I won't. If someone tells me I can't enter a business without one on, I'll either put mine on or I'll leave, without making a big deal about it.

It's pretty simple, don't be a jerk. The world doesn't revolve around you. It's not like you don't have options. Put on a mask, go somewhere that doesn't require you to, or stay home. Nobody cares what right you THINK is being infringed upon.

Pretty much where I stand as well.

I’ve yet to put on a mask, simply due to the fact that it hasn’t been enforced. I always carry one in my vehicle though.

I’d wear the mask with zero issue if it were mandated in some way. The mask seems like nothing more than a suggestion at this points, that doesn’t move the needle for me.

We're they not all of these things before all of this. It's my position that high risk people shouldn't be out and putting themselves at risk. Us healthy folks should be the ones who are placing ourselves at risk.

And for your scenario, I'd ask if they could find someone else to serve me. If not, then again, I'll politely leave without making a scene.

This position makes your actions all about you and no regard for the people around you. Again I ask, why is it so difficult to put a mask on, if for no other reason than courtesy to the people in front of you?

Our church is re-opening this coming Sunday. We have asked and asked and asked, citing Scriptures and pleading for courtesy (you know, Christlikeness and all that), but we still have a small number of folks (small so far) that insist they aren't wearing one Sunday. The more we have that don't wear them, we go right back to an online service only, and that has been communicated.

The way Deuce worded it is how I feel. I am personally really annoyed by putting on a mask. It's an N95 and it's very smothering. But what am I out by wearing one for 45 minutes to an hour on Sunday morning with my church family? Not a single thing. Not a single freedom is being taken from me.

One of the better comparisons I have heard is to smoking. You may not believe smoking will get you and you are absolutely sure that smoking a cigarette in front of another person for 15 minutes is not going to harm that other person. But we don't allow people to smoke inside buildings anymore. Whether you believe in that or not, I don't see people smoking in front of others even though they don't believe it will harm them.

Edited by Voice of Reason