How Long Will The Recession/Depression Last?

BFritz

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is struggling with rent/mortgage call your lender. Do not sit on it, they are expecting people to call and ask for help, or forbearance.

Many lenders are offering a 3 month suspension with no late fees, and just tacking the 3 payments onto the end of the loan. Student loans have also been suspended with no penalty. Like you say, though, you need to ask if you need help. Sooner than later.

New jobless claims 6.65 million. For context, last week's 3.28 million new claims shattered the previous record, which was a little less than 700,000. Ongoing claims over 3 million.

Bigger numbers than expected, but who really knows what to expect in this situation. With all the support added into the system, who knows what impact this has on the economy. It is all about when we begin the restart.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Said they have fired all employees, so I would have to think this is permanent closure.

Their parent company went into bankruptcy in early March, right before the country started to shut down. Craftworks (the parent company) also owns the Old Chicago chain (which was pretty good). Apparently last week, the Bankruptcy courts fired the CEO and CFO for paying $7 million in Sales tax without authorization, so they have no leader. The employees were fired and have no access to Cobra. They are hoping to restart, but even if they do, over half the stores will probably remain closed for good.

We have to take care of our people now. When things settle down, though, I am expecting a big tax increase to help right the economic ship. That's OK, though.

I don't understand the economic sense of taxing your way out of a recession when you are trying to create jobs in the private sector.

The 30% UE numbers in my opinion comes from some faulty data , even if some of the economist are people I respect . I just disagree on the interpretation. The key factor will surround the Small Business loan program and owner's understanding of the program. Most small businesses should survive as long as they are savvy and act promptly.

Edited by LIPTON BASH

The 30% UE numbers in my opinion comes from some faulty data , even if some of the economist are people I respect . I just disagree on the interpretation. The key factor will surround the Small Business loan program and owner's understanding of the program. Most small businesses should survive as long as they are savvy and act promptly.

These programs will help. But aren't a lot of those programs based upon keeping a full work staff up and going? When you are told to shut down there is no business to conduct.