What is the over/under for deaths in America due to COVID-19 in 2020?

theguru

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people do you know personally - family, neighbor, co-worker - that has died directly from coronavirus infection?

I know one person so far whose death was related to the situation, though likely not from the virus itself.

Had a aunt die in Virginia from it.

The mother of an acquaintance is fighting for her life right now. Her husband got it. Then she got it. Husband is recovering. She is in the hospital, on a ventilator, has received plasma transplants. Fighting.

We all know that someday we will die. But this is a horrible, dreadful, lonely (no family) way to go.

The mother of an acquaintance is fighting for her life right now. Her husband got it. Then she got it. Husband is recovering. She is in the hospital, on a ventilator, has received plasma transplants. Fighting.

We all know that someday we will die. But this is a horrible, dreadful, lonely (no family) way to go.

Yes it is. Dealing with a death of a loved one is always incredibly emotional. Knowing that they had to die alone or knowing that you might die alone if you can’t recover is absolutely heartbreaking.

Thank you for sharing. We have to keep putting a face on this crisis. As we make decisions going forward, the focus must be on people and not numbers.

Thank you for sharing. We have to keep putting a face on this crisis. As we make decisions going forward, the focus must be on people and not numbers.

And here lies the problem, until it affects someone people know they don’t think there is a problem.

And here lies the problem, until it affects someone people know they don’t think there is a problem.

I agree.

I do have some questions about the math we are using concerning deaths from the virus.

I’ve had way too much to drink to put it in words tonight but I’ll ask tomorrow.

I agree.

I do have some questions about the math we are using concerning deaths from the virus.

I’ve had way too much to drink to put it in words tonight but I’ll ask tomorrow.

I know we figure the death rate by taking deaths and divide by the ones infected and multiple by 100.

But shouldn’t we look at cases closed?

I agree.

I know we figure the death rate by taking deaths and divide by the ones infected and multiple by 100.

But shouldn’t we look at cases closed?

I am not sure what MBWC41 was going with here, but one thing I understand raises the numbers is how they count COVID-19 deaths. From one State's department of health - and I assume other States count the same way - not all deaths are because of COVID-19, but if people die with COVID-19, they are part of the total. Not sure I am making sense or not with this, but when I read it I understood what they were saying. However, there are probably countless of other cases never counted, so it is probably a wash.

This is more of a commentary about America as a whole, but there are no telling how many deaths could have been prevented by simple tasks such as diet and exercise which would have removed one from having an "underlying health conditions." A nurse friend of mine on IG was citing that 88% of people hospitalized in NYC had at least two chronic health conditions. Think about that. Obviously if you are elderly or born with something compromising, I am not talking about these folks.

I liken it to heart disease. It is the number one killer in the United States with thousands of the deaths annually being preventable with better self care.

This is more of a commentary about America as a whole, but there are no telling how many deaths could have been prevented by simple tasks such as diet and exercise which would have removed one from having an "underlying health conditions." A nurse friend of mine on IG was citing that 88% of people hospitalized in NYC had at least two chronic health conditions. Think about that. Obviously if you are elderly or born with something compromising, I am not talking about these folks.

I liken it to heart disease. It is the number one killer in the United States with thousands of the deaths annually being preventable with better self care.

Which brings systemic issues into the equation.