What is the over/under for deaths in America due to COVID-19 in 2020?

theguru

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we will ever really know, but with the numbers we're given I'll take the under.

Agreed. As with elderly people who have various ailments but ultimately die of pneumonia, I think this virus will unfortunately finish off a lot of folks with existing illnesses. The lack of testing will likely mean they died of their illness and not coronavirus. So it could be a kind of a chicken/egg issue where we never really know the answer.

I don't think we will ever really know, but with the numbers we're given I'll take the under.

Agreed. As with elderly people who have various ailments but ultimately die of pneumonia, I think this virus will unfortunately finish off a lot of folks with existing illnesses. The lack of testing will likely mean they died of their illness and not coronavirus. So it could be a kind of a chicken/egg issue where we never really know the answer.

I just saw this out of Italy:

More than 99% of Italy’s coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country’s national health authority.

Source: ISS Italy National Health Institute, March 17 sample

Total deaths worldwide at this point 10,015. Take the under. The oddsmaker set a really bad line. Congratulations to our world on saving thousands and thousands of lives.

I imagine the oddsmaker knew what he was doing when he set that number and it's not a bad number when you consider comparing it to other viruses we deal with on a regular basis. Going back to that though I believe the response to this particular virus will stop it well before it hits the betting line.

I imagine the oddsmaker knew what he was doing when he set that number and it's not a bad number when you consider comparing it to other viruses we deal with on a regular basis. Going back to that though I believe the response to this particular virus will stop it well before it hits the betting line.

I want to give you a big kiss @JDEaston :)