What is the over/under for deaths in America due to COVID-19 in 2020?

theguru

So again we agree. We have to mitigate and closely quarantine for all of April, if we want this to pass soon.

Nah. We still don’t agree. You just keep wisely avoiding the initial point from someone else that I agreed with.

As for your point that you think we agree on we still don’t agree. I say we need to shut down for the rest of the year at the very least. Period. Cancel 2020. Protect your family the best you can. Try again in 2021. 2020 is over. If you don’t think it is over.....give it time....you’ll realize it sooner or later.

That is my mindset. I’ll be at work M-F until my masters tell me to stay home.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 100-200,000 deaths was used again last night in the briefing. I have been screaming warnings from the start of this, but that number seems high. Ironically, I have been perhaps too optimistic about the overall impact and the restart. I am not as confident anymore about the next 2-3 months.

I do think Guru's 34,200 flu death line is in jeopardy, but I still would take the under. If we go over, the too slow hodge podge response across the nation will be the reason for many, many of those deaths. There are already deaths happening that could have been prevented with better testing in place and quicker aggressive action on restrictions.

Does it really seem high? We are currently at 4k and we aren't anywhere near the peak. The problem is it looks like many people who carry it, don't know they have it, as it takes a couple weeks for it to kick in. We didn't get serious about quarantining until barely 2 weeks ago. And there are still some places that aren't on board. Florida is refusing to follow the lead, and with their older population, it could be a disaster down there. This month is going to get really ugly.

Nah. We still don’t agree. You just keep wisely avoiding the initial point from someone else that I agreed with.

As for your point that you think we agree on we still don’t agree. I say we need to shut down for the rest of the year at the very least. Period. Cancel 2020. Protect your family the best you can. Try again in 2021. 2020 is over. If you don’t think it is over.....give it time....you’ll realize it sooner or later.

That is my mindset. I’ll be at work M-F until my masters tell me to stay home.

I don’t think I ever understood your point but now I do. I’m taking the month by month approach. If we close the entire country for 2020, we’re gonna have a bigger problem than the virus.

I don’t think I ever understood your point but now I do. I’m taking the month by month approach. If we close the entire country for 2020, we’re gonna have a bigger problem than the virus.

Again, the initial point is that many American deaths were preventable. That’s it. That’s the initial point.

Good luck to you and your family.

Again, the initial point is that many American deaths were preventable. That’s it. That’s the initial point.

Good luck to you and your family.

Respectfully I differ on it, considering this is a bad virus and we weren’t given key intel about it months ago. Even with key intel, it would have been hard to stop considering the transmission rate.

I certainty wish you and your family well also. I’m glad you are being extra safe, we are too.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly there is chance we hit the over in less than a calendar month of this question being asked.

This is mind blowing if we are being honest. As concerned as I have been I didn’t think we’d get to 35K deaths in a month.

And folks still aren’t taking this seriously enough.

This is mind blowing if we are being honest. As concerned as I have been I didn’t think we’d get to 35K deaths in a month.

And folks still aren’t taking this seriously enough.

Yesterday's total was again higher than the leading daily killers in this country: heart disease and cancer. In fairness, yesterday's daily total was spiked a bit because of the new counting method in New York.

Yesterday's total was again higher than the leading daily killers in this country: heart disease and cancer. In fairness, yesterday's daily total was spiked a bit because of the new counting method in New York.

I imagine at some point these numbers will spike like this in a similar fashion throughout the country.

And takeaway the 3700 added deaths and yesterday was still a bad day with over 2K deaths.

I was looking at this thread last night thinking a reboot would be interesting.

After what I saw around the country on the news last night, I'm taking over 100k.

One month and the high likelihood of 35k deaths doesn't seem to be enough to scare America.