Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

4 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I really don't understand why the school board in Fayette Co. need more time to study safety measures already in place. What have they been doing for 6 months! I think that is just a cop out in my opinion.

My assumption is that they already had their decision made and were waiting (hoping) for the KHSAA to be the bad-guy that told everyone that fall sports would be knocked back further. The the KHSAA didn't do that, so now they're having to do this.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

My assumption is that they already had their decision made and were waiting (hoping) for the KHSAA to be the bad-guy that told everyone that fall sports would be knocked back further. The the KHSAA didn't do that, so now they're having to do this.

I'd say you are right.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think JCPS and Fayette County maybe trying to wield some power to push back start of football.

Maybe but in both cases those school districts commonly play many of their games in their school district. I know it’s brought up a lot the Douglas is limited in who they can schedule due to the fact they have to play Lexington schools. If those districts want to wait two more weeks I don’t see it as that big of a deal. If they decide to not start until after district play starts and that forces teams to change schedules then it gets ugly. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

This x 1,000.  There has been a TON of "kick the can to someone else" decision making since March on so many issues related to this virus.

• Like 5

This was circulated to media members by Fayette County Public Schools:

The Fayette County Board of Education will discuss the resumption of fall sports during its regular scheduled meeting on Monday, Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Manny Caulk announced Friday. In light of Thursday's decision by the KHSAA to move forward with practice and game schedules, Caulk said he wants to give the school board members the opportunity to review existing safety plans and discuss the resumption of athletics further. In the interim, there will be no athletic practices Monday in Fayette County. "The safety of our students, staff, and families will continue to be the primary consideration in everything we do," Caulk said.

Sincerely,

Lisa Deffendall
Spokeswoman
Fayette County Public Schools

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The Fayette County Board of Education will discuss the resumption of fall sports during its regular scheduled meeting on Monday, Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Manny Caulk announced Friday. In light of Thursday's decision by the KHSAA to move forward with practice and game schedules, Caulk said he wants to give the school board members the opportunity to review existing safety plans and discuss the resumption of athletics further. In the interim, there will be no athletic practices Monday in Fayette County. "The safety of our students, staff, and families will continue to be the primary consideration in everything we do," Caulk said.

Sincerely,

Lisa Deffendall
Spokeswoman

Why is there suddenly a need to "review existing safety plans and discuss the resumption of athletics futher" Mr. Caulk? The KHSAA is moving forward with a plan that's been in place for weeks now...a month even, if memory serves. Why haven't those things been sufficiently reviewed by your board of education already?

And if the safety of your students, staff, and families truly are "primary consideration in everything you do", then why were you allowing conditioning up to this point, and now you're having to go and cancel practices on Monday so you can further review existing safety plans and the resumption of athletics?

This doesn't add up to me.

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Why is there suddenly a need to "review existing safety plans and discuss the resumption of athletics futher" Mr. Caulk? The KHSAA is moving forward with a plan that's been in place for weeks now...a month even, if memory serves. Why haven't those things been sufficiently reviewed by your board of education already?

And if the safety of your students, staff, and families truly are "primary consideration in everything you do", then why were you allowing conditioning up to this point, and now you're having to go and cancel practices on Monday so you can further review existing safety plans and the resumption of athletics?

This doesn't add up to me.

My thoughts exactly @Colonels_Wear_BlueI think it's just a cop out to delay until  the end of Sept. or not at all I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Sincerely,

Lisa Deffendall
Spokeswoman

But they were allowed to condition for the last month on campus? On the outside, it just seems some of the school boards and leaders really lack to ability to make a decision. I understand a lot of this is liability issues, but isn’t that something they should have been working on since March and not just school athletic events, but of the entire school and all students?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Let’s say the football pan for the KY is approved by the higher ups and JCPS decided to postpone their fall sports, do you think that decision hurts their relationship with St. X or other private schools? Or do St. X and others just look past it?

I don’t think so because a once in a life pandemic. St.X will just find someone else to play.

• Like 1