St. Xavier (OH) 55 Covington Catholic 49

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So was the 7 footer out? His presence alone probably changes this game.

Yes, Noah Hupmann, who is good for 5 pts/5 rebs per game, is out with mono. Reece Murphy was in his first game back after having appendicitis. He had averaged 5 pts per game prior to last night, where he had none. That's a big difference in the team's performance right there.

This was a tough game on the road against a solid team, and was Cov Cath's 3rd game in 5 days. Cincinnati teams - especially GCL teams - have all realized they have to bring the A-game of their A-games against Cov Cath on the the gridiron and on the court, so Cov Cath can always count on getting a battle.

And for the folks who think refs in Cincinnati basketball don't definitely prefer to see Kentucky teams lose to their home teams, your teams haven't been playing enough competition across the river. I'm not about to put last night's loss on the refs, but they sure didn't make things easier on Cov Cath, that's for sure.

Yes, Noah Hupmann, who is good for 5 pts/5 rebs per game, is out with mono. Reece Murphy was in his first game back after having appendicitis. He had averaged 5 pts per game prior to last night, where he had none. That's a big difference in the team's performance right there.

This was a tough game on the road against a solid team, and was Cov Cath's 3rd game in 5 days. Cincinnati teams - especially GCL teams - have all realized they have to bring the A-game of their A-games against Cov Cath on the the gridiron and on the court, so Cov Cath can always count on getting a battle.

And for the folks who think refs in Cincinnati basketball don't definitely prefer to see Kentucky teams lose to their home teams, your teams haven't been playing enough competition across the river. I'm not about to put last night's loss on the refs, but they sure didn't make things easier on Cov Cath, that's for sure.

Not a CovCath follower much but there is definitely an issue for KY. schools when they cross the river. Play is much more physical.

@longballers you clicked dislike on @The Double Deuce's post and on mine. I'm assuming, based the quoted post, that you disagree with any and all sentiment that indicates anything negative to do with officiating in a game?

It's been my experience that it's almost always the losing team (fans) that put blame on the officials. You rarely hear, "we won by 10 but if it hadn't been for those damn refs we would have won by 20".

Also, people that blame refs have typically never officiated a game in their lives.

My main point is, there are questionable calls that go both ways. Why can't people say that the winning team was just better that day?

It's been my experience that it's almost always the losing team (fans) that put blame on the officials. You rarely hear, "we won by 10 but if it hadn't been for those damn refs we would have won by 20".

Also, people that blame refs have typically never officiated a game in their lives.

My main point is, there are questionable calls that go both ways. Why can't people say that the winning team was just better that day?

What fun would that be! :isurrender:

No one said CovCath lost because of the officials, my post, which unbelievably raked in dislikes as if I had kicked a baby, was simply that Ohio refs take care of their own. That is a fact. Sounds like CovCath lost last night because their inability to stay patient defensively while St. Xavier methodically worked it around. I never said CovCath lost because of the refs, I said you always get a tough whistle in Ohio as an out-of-state team. I'm sure the same is true, to some degree, when they cross into Kentucky.

I didn't, and am not, blaming the loss on the refs.

No one said CovCath lost because of the officials, my post, which unbelievably raked in dislikes as if I had kicked a baby, was simply that Ohio refs take care of their own. That is a fact. Sounds like CovCath lost last night because their inability to stay patient defensively while St. Xavier methodically worked it around. I never said CovCath lost because of the refs, I said you always get a tough whistle in Ohio as an out-of-state team. I'm sure the same is true, to some degree, when they cross into Kentucky.

I didn't, and am not, blaming the loss on the refs.

In a manner of speaking you did, you kicked all the anti-CCH peeps.