Hey KHSAA: How to improve the Championships....

The current playoff arrangement places teams based on what district they are in, and makes no attempt to balance the playoff bracket so that the best teams do not eliminate each other before the final. That is arbitrary. Using ratings to seed the playoffs (not determine who gets in, mind you) would be a much more deliberate method for setting up a quality playoff.

And if you are saying ratings aren't arbitrary themselves, we will just have to agree to disagree. That is even more arbitrary.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give you that point, Murray would have been a better example.

Now, how about giving me a point, don't you agree that 2, 2, and 2 is superior to 3 and 3 on many levels?

You get that point totally. Those people, for whatever reason, who had to stay for three games and now face the potential of doing it twice, well it is almost too much to ask. There are a myriad of things that make it better to have three days of two games, not the least of which is that the earliest game each day could start somewhere around 3:30 or 4:00 and at least allow fans to make it to most of both games. The 11:00 starts, which they are good when you have three games, are just not fan friendly.

Someone actually suggested elsewhere, two games on Friday, and four on Saturday. I can only imagine how I might feel after being outside for four straight games instead of just three...

And if you are saying ratings aren't arbitrary themselves, we will just have to agree to disagree. That is even more arbitrary.

Ratings are far less arbitrary than simply matching teams based on what district they are in. Ratings take into account every game of each season and are usually pretty good by playoff time. The playoff pairings set up by district alignment are set up years in advance and cannot take anything into account other than district finish order.

If you like terribly unbalanced playoff brackets, with all of the best teams loaded up on one side, close games in the early rounds, and blowout wins in the finals, the current setup is for you.

Any setup should have some sort of rotation so that the 1A game doesn't always get played at the same early time. They should be allowed to play a later game giving their fans a chance to attend as a 6A school should.

Also, until the Boys Sweet 16 starts making a rotating trip to Louisville, I think you will see the football championship stay in Louisville. Bowling Green gets the girls', Lexington the Boys' Sweet 16 and Louisville football.

Agreed. Doesn't almost every state play there finals at a college or pro stadium? No way does anyone switch the goal posts...

I am pretty sure that they switched the goal posts for the Illinois Finals at the University of Illinois. I watched all 8 games on TV and noticed that the goal posts were white and appeared high school width. Then in one camera angle, I could see the normal, yellow goal posts on the ground behind one endzone.

I would like to see the playoffs properly seeded with the best teams split on opposite sides of semi-state and playing the lowest ranked teams in the first round and homefield determined by seed. It'll probably never happen because it would increase travel costs, but it would make for a better playoff.

And who/how would you seed the playoffs?

That's easy LRCW, you do it the same way as the BCS, their system works with absolute perfection every year, ya know!.:rolleyes: