Hey KHSAA: How to improve the Championships....

Remember starting next year there are 6 Finals.

1. Play 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday.

2. The 6A game must be on Friday night or Saturday night due to anticipated crowd size.

3. Spacing games 4 hours apart is recommended. 11:30, 3:30 and 7:30 works well.

4. Traffic control into PJS is a must.

5. TV on a delay basis/ State-wide radio coverage/ and Internet broadcast if possible.

6. Semi-finals moved to field with best conditions (e.g. turf) in vacinity of designated "home" team. For example, if Ryle in NKY is to host Henderson Co from West KY game would be moved to Dixie or Beechwood.) In other words no more semi-final games played at true home fields since that is awarded based on even/odd designation every other year and not earned. Teams should not reach the semifinals and play on a substandard field which is very possible in December.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs to be 2, 2, and 2. Three football games in one day is too much football considering the weather and three football games two days in a row is downright lunacy.

Ohio has been doing it that way for years, and it seems to work out just fine.

I may be wrong but aren't all the OH championship games played on a Sat? And they do have 6 divisions? I believe their semis are also played at somewhat nuetral sites also. Why not adopt a similar schedule. Playing the biggest game of your life on Thur morning is an injustice to the kids. Of course we are talking about decisions made by one of the most screwed up organization is sports history. Heaven forbid the KHSAA ever make a wise decision.

I may be wrong but aren't all the OH championship games played on a Sat? And they do have 6 divisions? I believe their semis are also played at somewhat nuetral sites also. Why not adopt a similar schedule. Playing the biggest game of your life on Thur morning is an injustice to the kids. Of course we are talking about decisions made by one of the most screwed up organization is sports history. Heaven forbid the KHSAA ever make a wise decision.

They play 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. The past few years they have played two games at Paul Brown Stadium and one game at the HOF Stadium on one day, and then played two at one, and one at the other on the next day.

LRCW,

In my opinion the Ohio set up is terrible. Not only do they play 3 games each day, two days in a row, they alternate sites so you have to travel twice each day. On top of that, they are in the extreme NE corner of the state. Just terrible...

The good news there is I believe I read where OSU is getting turf again which means the games will probably end up back in Columbus.

LRCW,

In my opinion the Ohio set up is terrible. Not only do they play 3 games each day, two days in a row, they alternate sites so you have to travel twice each day. On top of that, they are in the extreme NE corner of the state. Just terrible...

The good news there is I believe I read where OSU is getting turf again which means the games will probably end up back in Columbus.

THey do rotate the sites, but the travel time is only a short distance. They used to empty the stadium, and you had to wait outside anyway so it really didn't make a huge difference. I've been to it a few times, and it was two great days of football. I do agree that having to travel to Canton was the worst part of it, and having it in Columbus would make it a lot better.

They play 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. The past few years they have played two games at Paul Brown Stadium and one game at the HOF Stadium on one day, and then played two at one, and one at the other on the next day.

You are correct. The games are played at Fawcett stadium ( Canton ) or Paul Brown Tiger Stadium ( Massilon ). Just thinking maybe KY could use 3 venues and play all games on Sat.

The idea here is to make football an event like basketball and that will NEVER happen playing six games in two days. 2, 2, and 2 is the only way to do it and if it ends up being 3 and 3 I strongly suspect the basketball powers that be are pushing back because they are upset football will finish up one week later in the future. Of course, those same people will claim their reason for 3 and 3 is to keep events out of the school day which is where the hypocrisy comes in.

LRCW,

Lousville is hardly in central Ky. And only fans that attend more than one game would be tasked with travel. I would imagine that # is small.

Lousville is hardly in central Ky. And only fans that attend more than one game would be tasked with travel. I would imagine that # is small.

Louisville is a much more central location in KY than Canton or Massillion is in OH.

Having the finals in Bowling Green or Morehead every year would be on a level with what they do in Ohio.

Yes it would be awful but so is 10 hours straight outside in December and that is what three games in one day will do for you.

I think having to stay/pay an extra night for a motel would outweigh the negatives of playing 3 games in one day. The games in Ohio were space out enough where you could go to dinner between the 2nd and 3rd games and warm yourself up.