Hey KHSAA: How to improve the Championships....

This from Ryan Ernst in this morning's Enquirer:

Next year's finals, moved back to the second weekend in December will follow the traditional Friday-Saturday format. Although the game schedule hasn't been finalized, KHSAA media relations director Butch Cope said "more than likely" three games will be played each day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And who/how would you seed the playoffs?

I would use Massey, Cantrall, or Litkenhous or a combination of the three. Much better than what we have today (which is very arbitrary).

This from Ryan Ernst in this morning's Enquirer:

Next year's finals, moved back to the second weekend in December will follow the traditional Friday-Saturday format. Although the game schedule hasn't been finalized, KHSAA media relations director Butch Cope said "more than likely" three games will be played each day.

Mike Fields in the Lex Herald reported that the "Coach's Advisory Committee" recommended three games on Friday and three on Saturday to the KHSAA.

Personally, I dislike the spacing of the final games. The small crowds diminish the championship atmosphere. I would prefer to see the games moved to smaller venues i.e. Rawlings stadium, Eastern, Western. I'd rather see the crowds more of a factor. PPJ seems too large for all but 4A. IMO

Two more things:

1. High school hash marks on the field.

2. High school size goal posts.

Really when you think about it how strange is it to play all year with your offense and defense using high school hash marks and then everything changes in the biggest game of the year?

Same thing with goal posts.

The biggest difference is that a team could possibly play 4 games at Rupp. A football team will play only one game. Apples and oranges.

Not hardly,

Only 2 schools play 4 games.

Plus you help my point, if a school's fans only have to worry about 1 game, there is no additional hassle for them in playing the finals over 3 days rather than 2.

For fans of high school football in general, 3 days is the best way to make it enjoyable.

There are other facilities in the state. Playing 6 games at one sight is tough. Thur games are tough on fans, students, and most of all the teams.

Why is 6 games in one facility tough? It is easier logistically for them to be at one site rather than 3, which will NEVER happen.

One day earlier is not harder on the players, considering their games are usally on Fridays.

Two more things:

1. High school hash marks on the field.

2. High school size goal posts.

Really when you think about it how strange is it to play all year with your offense and defense using high school hash marks and then everything changes in the biggest game of the year?

Same thing with goal posts.

Getting to play in a major college's stadium is a reward for reaching the finals that should not be taken away from the kids.

With both teams playing on the same hashmarks with the same goal posts, it doesn't mattter.

Getting to play in a major college's stadium is a reward for reaching the finals that should not be taken away from the kids.

With both teams playing on the same hashmarks with the same goal posts, it doesn't mattter.

Agreed. Doesn't almost every state play there finals at a college or pro stadium? No way does anyone switch the goal posts...

And who is going to decide on seeding among the district winners??????

That could be something you can use the average of the Massey, Cantrell and Lit for; or they could use the BGP rankings for it. Being that the BGP rankings are often more accurate than any other.