Covington Catholic 36 Highlands 0

For the collective mindset in Ft. Thomas, you guys should hope it's shorter rather than longer.

:lol2:

And if Eddie is at CCH for 2 more years then Brian Weinrich will not be at Highlands. Mark it down. 10-3 is a great season but well below the Standards that is expected at Highlands. But if Weinrich continues to get it handed to him by Eddie like he did on Friday, it will be time for Brian to move aside and let someone else Test drive the Blue Cadillac.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike the HHS Coach, the CCH Coach is using their best talent on both sides of the ball. The HHS coach refuses to play guys both ways and apply their talent where it can be maximized on the field.

The HHS head coach switch from OC to DC and took over the defense, his old position when Dale ran the offense. This change has made the defense much better than in the past. However the Offense has not improved as much. I believe as a mid size 4A school playing up is 5A the coaches have to maximize the use of their best talent.

In the past the offense always had a strong quarterback, I am not seeing that now. I believe in part because they are not utilizing the talent they have and the QB play has been adversely affected.

Yep Highlands best player was standing on the sidelines for roughly 18-20 plays on Friday. Brycen Huddleston has to be on the Field somewhere at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't even wearing Blue & White next year. I heard grumblings from someone I know that he thought about leaving this past year. I would of never dreamed that Cam Hergott would of left for Beechwood. The Huddleston kid wants to win a State Championship and honestly with the Staff in place and especially on Offense it will never happen in a very long time. Highlands has a couple of Staff members that are way in over their heads. Just my Two Cents.

And if Eddie is at CCH for 2 more years then Brian Weinrich will not be at Highlands. Mark it down. 10-3 is a great season but well below the Standards that is expected at Highlands. But if Weinrich continues to get it handed to him by Eddie like he did on Friday, it will be time for Brian to move aside and let someone else Test drive the Blue Cadillac.

So we're back to firing Weinrich again?

In case people haven't noticed, no one is beating CovCath, not just Highlands.

Yep Highlands best player was standing on the sidelines for roughly 18-20 plays on Friday. Brycen Huddleston has to be on the Field somewhere at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't even wearing Blue & White next year. I heard grumblings from someone I know that he thought about leaving this past year. I would of never dreamed that Cam Hergott would of left for Beechwood. The Huddleston kid wants to win a State Championship and honestly with the Staff in place and especially on Offense it will never happen in a very long time. Highlands has a couple of Staff members that are way in over their heads. Just my Two Cents.

The grumblings you heard are false... Or you are just making it up. BW isn’t going anywhere. Huddy isn’t going anywhere. The O-Coordinator, that’s another story.

Why do stupid comments always come out after a game like this one. There has to be a winner and a loser. One {1} kid wasn't going to make a difference on Friday night for the Birds. It's complete nonsense to think otherwise. Cov. Cath won because they have a great team. Goodness, give them the credit they deserve. BW isn't going anywhere, nor does he deserve to be removed. He did a great job this season. Now, the O.C. on the other hand must be relieved of his duties, as the Offense has been anemic for most of the season, and is very predictable, IMO. Lastly, Huddleston is playing exactly where he should be playing. Good kid. Plays hard, and is a fine leader. He'll be just fine. I think it would be best to leave the Hergott situation out of this discussion, unless you know all the facts behind the decision to transfer to Beechwood. 10-3 season and people are complaining. Simply amazing.

Unlike the HHS Coach, the CCH Coach is using their best talent on both sides of the ball. The HHS coach refuses to play guys both ways and apply their talent where it can be maximized on the field.

The HHS head coach switch from OC to DC and took over the defense, his old position when Dale ran the offense. This change has made the defense much better than in the past. However the Offense has not improved as much. I believe as a mid size 4A school playing up is 5A the coaches have to maximize the use of their best talent.

In the past the offense always had a strong quarterback, I am not seeing that now. I believe in part because they are not utilizing the talent they have and the QB play has been adversely affected.

Please tell us all what a strong QB looks like then. Better yet turn the table and switch QB’s from HHS and CCH. Hats off to CCH defense. They shut down EVERYTHING! Wow! So, what’s left? Oh yeah, blame the QB. Watch the game on Video. You’ll have a new perspective!

Please tell us all what a strong QB looks like then. Better yet turn the table and switch QB’s from HHS and CCH. Hats off to CCH defense. They shut down EVERYTHING! Wow! So, what’s left? Oh yeah, blame the QB. Watch the game on Video. You’ll have a new perspective!

I think you are misreading this a bit. QB was a position of strength for the Birds back when you had Towles, McCoy, Houliston and Hoge and the offense revolved around them as each brought something unique to the table. The last 4 have not been as strong of a presence as these 4, thus the coaches have to find ways to use the other talent around them and maximize what each of the last 4 quarterbacks brought to the table.

I agree 100% with the statement that you have to play your "best" players "some" on both sides of the ball in order to have success (have chance to win state titles) because the depth is not in the program and the overall number of kids playing the game of football drops more and more each year. I do not understand why there is a reluctance to do this, but it sure seems like CovCath and some other bigger schools have no problems whatsoever doing it if it gives them a chance to win as evidenced by the fact that Coldiron and Mayer did not come off the field until the clock started running.

I still believe that if Highlands goes into halftime tied or down 10-7 then things may have played out differently. I think that BW believed in his mind that the offense was not going to be able to score many points and thus took a risk or two by crowding the box and # 2 was able to bust a few long runs. If the defense does not have to do that, then they are able to play more like they did in the first half than they had to try and do in the second half.

I am by no means saying that Highlands wins the game, but feel very confident that the clock would not have been running in the early 4th quarter.

I think you are misreading this a bit. QB was a position of strength for the Birds back when you had Towles, McCoy, Houliston and Hoge and the offense revolved around them as each brought something unique to the table. The last 4 have not been as strong of a presence as these 4, thus the coaches have to find ways to use the other talent around them and maximize what each of the last 4 quarterbacks brought to the table.

I agree 100% with the statement that you have to play your "best" players "some" on both sides of the ball in order to have success (have chance to win state titles) because the depth is not in the program and the overall number of kids playing the game of football drops more and more each year. I do not understand why there is a reluctance to do this, but it sure seems like CovCath and some other bigger schools have no problems whatsoever doing it if it gives them a chance to win as evidenced by the fact that Coldiron and Mayer did not come off the field until the clock started running.

I still believe that if Highlands goes into halftime tied or down 10-7 then things may have played out differently. I think that BW believed in his mind that the offense was not going to be able to score many points and thus took a risk or two by crowding the box and # 2 was able to bust a few long runs. If the defense does not have to do that, then they are able to play more like they did in the first half than they had to try and do in the second half.

I am by no means saying that Highlands wins the game, but feel very confident that the clock would not have been running in the early 4th quarter.

No, did not misread anything. Watch old film of all QB’s you mention and you’ll see most of the time they had all kinds of time behind the line to relax and have routes developed. That happened only a couple of times this year. HHS for a few consecutive years didn’t have a problem as bad as we had the past 4 years. Any of those Qb’s you mentioned would not of made much of a difference. You take a few bigs away from line and everyone would be talking same smack. It’s a shame That people in the stands can’t see this. As a matter of fact you personally were yelling at th OC!

No, did not misread anything. Watch old film of all QB’s you mention and you’ll see most of the time they had all kinds of time behind the line to relax and have routes developed. That happened only a couple of times this year. HHS for a few consecutive years didn’t have a problem as bad as we had the past 4 years. Any of those Qb’s you mentioned would not of made much of a difference. You take a few bigs away from line and everyone would be talking same smack. It’s a shame That people in the stands can’t see this. As a matter of fact you personally were yelling at th OC!

Whoa? D1 Qb's wouldn't have made a difference? Ok then, I should have stopped reading right there.

As I keep saying. Highlands people are now getting to see what other teams dealt with for years. It's not just about working hard. You can work as hard as you want, but when the other team has more talent than you. Including D1 type talent who can change a change, that does make a big difference. For many years Highlands was one of the only NKY teams who had some D1 type of players, especially at QB. Which Highlands when they had that completely just destroyed people. Much like what we are seeing right now with CovCath. Coaching, working hard are all also big parts of it. However when you add top talent to it too, which is what CovCath has now. It's very hard to stop. Highlands themselves won many championships by beating many great teams who also worked just as hard and had also great coaching. But at the end of the day its hard to see that because of the better talent of Highlands was the biggest reason. Which I think some of the Highlands faithful is slowly starting to see the difference it makes, when you are not the one that has those players and the other team like CovCath does.

That's actually the school's fight song. John Lawrie, one of our defensive ends, is an accomplished pianist...he actually has composed a piece of music that was played by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. He made a remix of the fight song in the style of Nintendo's Mario Bros...similar to the end-of-level music on each level of the video game. The players and the students love it and that's what's important.

The 4 or 5 young Colonels on the track leading the crazies cheers hate the song and only 1 had any clue what he thought it was supposed to be. I asked personally in the 4th.

The grumblings you heard are false... Or you are just making it up. BW isn’t going anywhere. Huddy isn’t going anywhere. The O-Coordinator, that’s another story.

Was Zach Deaton the offensive coordinator?

Highlands scored 36, 34, 7 (in only a half), 40, 44, 38, 49, 14 (CovCath), 42, 48, 36, 14 (All Mud), and 0. So since they only played a half against Scott County, we won't count that. So for the season they averaged 33 points. Yet people complained all year about the offense being bad? I know I for one would love to have coach Deaton on any staff I was on or a fan of.

Averaging 33 points a game is pretty darn good. I know many Highlands fans were spoiled for many of the D1 type Qb days of being able to score that many in the first quarter and a half. However, while Highlands is getting better again, most will never admit it. They are still not where they were at for all those dominate years in terms of talent compared to those other teams. When they literally lined up and was better across the board than the team they were playing.

They are on the rise again to get back there, but it's not there yet. IMO it would be a mistake to make a change there. Just like many wanted BW gone last year, and he shown this year that they made the right decision to keep him. I think the same would be said for Coach Deaton. If not some other program would be very lucky to get him, if they were to choose to coach elsewhere.