Covington Catholic 36 Highlands 0

The 4 or 5 young Colonels on the track leading the crazies cheers hate the song and only 1 had any clue what he thought it was supposed to be. I asked personally in the 4th.

That's essentially a product of the fact that the Fight Song is done nowadays by the student section as more of a "chant" rather than as an actual song. I would guess that in this day and age, there are relatively few students at the school who could actually hum the melody of the actual song if you asked them to.

All I can tell you is that "touchdown remix" of the Fight Song was done by a student, and that it's played after touchdowns at the request of students. To me, it's completely irrelevant what song they play, so long as the students like it. If it turns out to be unpopular among the students, then I'd guess it won't last long. I'm totally fine with it one way or the other, but at the end of the day, I think it's about what the students and the players like and about what gets them pumped up and into things during the game, and it's been my observation that the Crazies manage that pretty well.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of the obvious D1 players, I don’t think the talent gap is massive. The average is higher yes. Add in the top players and the system and it’s smokin.

Not sure the gap was as big as many are thinking for either side these last decades. During Highlands 17 streak the Colonels had some years with major injuries. And Highlands had a few D1 players.

Cov Cath came close to making a game of it in the regional and then Hoge went off. Without him, very close.

Just enjoy the rivalry (and winning a few again)

Edited by GottaLuvFootball
Spelling

Was Zach Deaton the offensive coordinator?

Highlands scored 36, 34, 7 (in only a half), 40, 44, 38, 49, 14 (CovCath), 42, 48, 36, 14 (All Mud), and 0. So since they only played a half against Scott County, we won't count that. So for the season they averaged 33 points. Yet people complained all year about the offense being bad? I know I for one would love to have coach Deaton on any staff I was on or a fan of.

Averaging 33 points a game is pretty darn good. I know many Highlands fans were spoiled for many of the D1 type Qb days of being able to score that many in the first quarter and a half. However, while Highlands is getting better again, most will never admit it. They are still not where they were at for all those dominate years in terms of talent compared to those other teams. When they literally lined up and was better across the board than the team they were playing.

They are on the rise again to get back there, but it's not there yet. IMO it would be a mistake to make a change there. Just like many wanted BW gone last year, and he shown this year that they made the right decision to keep him. I think the same would be said for Coach Deaton. If not some other program would be very lucky to get him, if they were to choose to coach elsewhere.

That is correct. It does not happen over night. It's heading in the right direction. HHS is still 5 or 6 big players away. That's also very hard get those type of players.

Talent yes. As much talent as CovCath, no.

I also believe that some of the best players on CCH will play at a higher level after High School than the current HHS talent. The only exception I see is Huddleston could compete with the CCH talent. However because the talent on CCH spends more time on the field than the HHS talent made a bigger difference in the outcome of this game.