Much has been said about Mercer's Enrollment advantage, but...

Brewsky

The kids are split, yet together, at both the Mercer campus and the Harrodsburg campus. For example, some may start out at the "mercer" campus for the first half of the day, then be bussed over to the "harrodsburg" campus, some kids even go back and forth for every block period. It sounds like a big cluster, but believe it or not, it has gone very, very well. The kids are mixed and matched througout the day by using both campus'. Different classes are offered at different campus'.

It's kinda like being in college and having one class on one end of campus and your next class on the other end of campus. Don't you just hate that?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kids are split, yet together, at both the Mercer campus and the Harrodsburg campus. For example, some may start out at the "mercer" campus for the first half of the day, then be bussed over to the "harrodsburg" campus, some kids even go back and forth for every block period. It sounds like a big cluster, but believe it or not, it has gone very, very well. The kids are mixed and matched througout the day by using both campus'. Different classes are offered at different campus'.

Sounds like a mess to me...........How far are the campuses apart????????

All right we know all these schools have more people and what not, but bottom line you have to play these guys. The Khsaa says you have to then you have to. Your team has to play the game of their lives to beat them, but strange things have happened in the KHSAA 2-A playoffs before. IF a team is fortunate enough to beat them then WOW. That will be a game people will talk about for the Ages.

I know our Catholic team lost in the championship, which to me was a big upset for Russell and one they will talk about forever, but our Ft.Campbell Region Championship and the Corbin in 2004 will be one we talk about forever. This is the what makes this stuff exciting to watch. Yes, my beloved Aces aren't that great this year, but they weren't in 2004 and the coaches took alot of chances because they had nothing to lose.

All I am saying is the Mercer County having more people is just part of it and the KHSAA whether we like it or not allowed them to do this. EVEN and I hope we make it this far, EVEN if Catholic gets a shot with them I hope Catholic can pull off another miracle upset.

I'm from a small school (2a) my kids went to the same school.

bottom line is Mercer was going to be VERY good this year with or without the merger, a couple of breaks and they could have won state last year, and they returned a boat load of those kids this year.

Also do you hear all the garbage when a 1A team beats a 4A team NO!

So lets just give Mercer a break and let them play the hand that the KHSAA gave them.

by the way my school played Mercer and LOST but I ain't going sit and cry about a future 5A or whatever they will be next year.

They were going to be contending for the title without the merger IMO

I don't see anyone on this thread griping. This thread was created by a Mercer fan. Many of the Mercer fans feel the need to defend their situation. The point made by most is Mercer got a break and most people are okay with that but don't try to convince everyone that there is not an advantage by having such a large school playing in a lower class. I have said on several threads on this topic that you play the hand that is dealt to you.

All right we know all these schools have more people and what not, but bottom line you have to play these guys. The Khsaa says you have to then you have to. Your team has to play the game of their lives to beat them, but strange things have happened in the KHSAA 2-A playoffs before. IF a team is fortunate enough to beat them then WOW. That will be a game people will talk about for the Ages.

I know our Catholic team lost in the championship, which to me was a big upset for Russell and one they will talk about forever, but our Ft.Campbell Region Championship and the Corbin in 2004 will be one we talk about forever. This is the what makes this stuff exciting to watch. Yes, my beloved Aces aren't that great this year, but they weren't in 2004 and the coaches took alot of chances because they had nothing to lose.

All I am saying is the Mercer County having more people is just part of it and the KHSAA whether we like it or not allowed them to do this. EVEN and I hope we make it this far, EVEN if Catholic gets a shot with them I hope Catholic can pull off another miracle upset.

:thumb:

You just have to play the cards you're dealt. The 2004 game between O-Catholic and Corbin is what competition and high school football is all about. More than likely, Mercer Co. and some other lucky team will get to experience that this year!

I'm from a small school (2a) my kids went to the same school.

bottom line is Mercer was going to be VERY good this year with or without the merger, a couple of breaks and they could have won state last year, and they returned a boat load of those kids this year.

Also do you hear all the garbage when a 1A team beats a 4A team NO!

So lets just give Mercer a break and let them play the hand that the KHSAA gave them.

by the way my school played Mercer and LOST but I ain't going sit and cry about a future 5A or whatever they will be next year.

They were going to be contending for the title without the merger IMO

Mercer quite possibly would have been a contender, without the merger. Bottom line, though, is that the merger gave them an advantage, especially in terms of depth and experience.

Yes. More talent trumps whatever advantage that continuity a team still has left over from last year.

I'll rephrase with an example...

School A has 400 boys, 80 of whom have played football together.

School B has 250 boys - 50 of whom have played football together - and merges with School C, which has 150 boys, 30 of whom have played football together. They become School D. Which has the advantage?

On the one hand, an argument can be made that School A has the advantage because of continuity - 80 guys that have played together. On the other hand, it can be argued that because School D is getting the "cream of the crop" from Schools B and C in the merger, resulting in a higher-quality 80-player talent pool.

Is it a wash, or is there a distinct advantage in the above example?

From current 2a teams, Western, Larue Co., and Loan Oak all jump to 4a next season. The majority of current 2a teams seem to move to 3a, but a substantial portion remain in 2a.

What does this ultimately tell us? Mercer isn't the only school who has an enrollment advantage. I realize by producing this thread I am bringing up the point once again. My point is this:

Anyone who has any conscience should say "yeah but Mercer, Western, Larue, and Loan Oak have an advantage over the others" AND the teams that will be 3a have an advantage over the ones that will be forced to stay in 2a based on enrollment.

Mercer jumps to 5A. Now these schools you stated may be large 2A schools and with the new system fall in 4A but none of them make the jump to 5A. That is a HUGE difference and a HUGE advantage in 2A this year.

I'll rephrase with an example...

School A has 400 boys, 80 of whom have played football together.

School B has 250 boys - 50 of whom have played football together - and merges with School C, which has 150 boys, 30 of whom have played football together. They become School D. Which has the advantage?

On the one hand, an argument can be made that School A has the advantage because of continuity - 80 guys that have played together. On the other hand, it can be argued that because School D is getting the "cream of the crop" from Schools B and C in the merger, resulting in a higher-quality 80-player talent pool.

Is it a wash, or is there a distinct advantage in the above example?

Assuming the "talent" levels are identical, I think School D has the advantage because they would typically have more players with varsity experience, particularly as starters.

To be fair, that example doesn't necessarily apply to Mercer here, because they also have a distinct enrollment advantage on the vast majority of their 2A brethren.

Assuming the "talent" levels are identical, I think School D has the advantage, because they would typically have more players with varsity experience, particularly as starters.

To be fair, that example doesn't necessarily apply to Mercer here, because they also have a distinct enrollment advantage on the rest of 2A.

:thumb: