Open Job: Covington Holy Cross

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang is 100% right. IMO HC would be the laughing stock in NKY if they even considered her.

It's funny she always posts on social media tips for other coaches and toots her own horn about what a brilliant coach she is. I'm guessing maybe she might not be as successful if she had to play the hand dealt to her as a coach rather than being able to go out and get the best available far and wide. But I agree believe this bridge has been burned and isn't being rebuilt anytime soon.

Will Dave Bezold former nku coach be a candidate possibly?

Schrand did a nice job this year. Glad to see the three seniors who were in the program the whole time (Schrand, Zimmerman, Niehaus) go out on a high note. They are nice players and it was good to see them finish like they did after a rocky previous year.

My bet would be that the new hire will virtually require a Holy Cross connection, ala McClendon or Bezold. More than anything, I think the fan base would be extremely unhappy if an "outsider" was hired.

As far as Macke, "never" is certainly correct. But I am curious as to why she is attacked here like she is. If it is because she left after coaching her son for a season, she is guilty. But if the comments are directed at her teaching the game, or motivating her players, or winning, even with "the hand she was dealt", the comments are misguided. I think maybe she is an easy target and rumor and innuendo trump the facts in this case, and a lot of the comments are made by people unfamiliar with her coaching and the credibility she has among most high level coaches. In the only year she coached at Holy Cross, she won the regional with "the hand she was dealt" at Holy Cross and she defeated Coach Franzen that year in their only head to head matchup by 30 points, as well as handing CovCath the last loss that its freshman or JV have suffered to a northern Kentucky school. Certainly she did something right; not sure that I understand the basis for criticism here.

I would go outside the school. I don’t know if he wants it but I would interview/ talk to Joe Frederick to see if he is interested. He has been at Cov Cath 5 years with 3 regional Championships

Bezold- won’t leave college to be a high school.

Macke-She won’t step foot in that School unless she has too

Schrand did a nice job this year. Glad to see the three seniors who were in the program the whole time (Schrand, Zimmerman, Niehaus) go out on a high note. They are nice players and it was good to see them finish like they did after a rocky previous year.

My bet would be that the new hire will virtually require a Holy Cross connection, ala McClendon or Bezold. More than anything, I think the fan base would be extremely unhappy if an "outsider" was hired.

As far as Macke, "never" is certainly correct. But I am curious as to why she is attacked here like she is. If it is because she left after coaching her son for a season, she is guilty. But if the comments are directed at her teaching the game, or motivating her players, or winning, even with "the hand she was dealt", the comments are misguided. I think maybe she is an easy target and rumor and innuendo trump the facts in this case, and a lot of the comments are made by people unfamiliar with her coaching and the credibility she has among most high level coaches. In the only year she coached at Holy Cross, she won the regional with "the hand she was dealt" at Holy Cross and she defeated Coach Franzen that year in their only head to head matchup by 30 points, as well as handing CovCath the last loss that its freshman or JV have suffered to a northern Kentucky school. Certainly she did something right; not sure that I understand the basis for criticism here.

Well stated, but as to Macke, yes, easy target for the following reasons:

1. As a public personality there is always a target on you and there are always people who like to take shots at you.

2. Macke put the target on herself. Transfers get targeted. When you change schools twice in two years, there will be a target on you no matter who you are. Add in that it's not only a player but a coach taking players with her and the target gets even bigger. Those are facts too.

3. Add in also that Holy Cross was in the middle of all the school changing. I won't say anymore on that topic but virtually everyone reading this post knows what I am talking about.

I'm not saying any of it is right or wrong, but those are some reasons why Macke gets the criticism.

I would go outside the school. I don’t know if he wants it but I would interview/ talk to Joe Frederick to see if he is interested. He has been at Cov Cath 5 years with 3 regional Championships

Bezold- won’t leave college to be a high school.

Macke-She won’t step foot in that School unless she has too

What is the fascination with Joe Fredrick? Why in the world would he want to leave the situation he is currently in? Joe Frederick is going nowhere until Scott Ruthsatz goes somewhere.

Ben Franzen would be a great choice for this opening IMO. How about Kevin Bundy? Andre McClendon may also be a good choice, but could he perhaps be interested in that Covington Holmes job?

First of all I like Ryan and his style of coaching. Coached against him for years and always thought he did a great job with the kids. His kids were going to attend covcath and when it was realized that playing time might be an issue he became coach at holy cross. This provided his kids an opportunity to play the game of high school basketball which I am fine with until you resign when they are done playing. This is becoming more and more of an issue in high school athletics.

Both of his sons scored over 1K points at HC. Both of his sons will be collegiate athletes next year. He has taken a ton of criticism for virtually no reason. I am happy with what he did in his time at HC and I totally understand why he stepped down. If the next coach is as successful as Ryan it will be a fantastic hire. If he is far more successful it will be a legit HR hire.