Open Job: Covington Holy Cross

All of those types are in it for the wrong reason. With them it's not about the kids, it's about their own kids. Find a coach with a proven track record who has no attachment to any of the players before taking over.

Do you have proof, "in it for the wrong reason. With them it's not about the kids, it's about their own kids."?

I would encourage you to ask his other players what they thought of their experience playing for him, do they share your "its not about the kids (them)" comment?

And who's to know he took the HC job and HC hired him knowing when his second son graduated he would step down. I don't know if this was discussed but could see this conversation having gone down during the interview process.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same feeling on the Mackey ,too-you can't coach your kid and then leave-I just don't agree with it

My understanding was that HC didn't have a freshman coach at the start of the school year or even at the first of Sept that year. They needed a coach and she stepped up. And did a damn fine job too.

Do you have proof, "in it for the wrong reason. With them it's not about the kids, it's about their own kids."?

I would encourage you to ask his other players what they thought of their experience playing for him, do they share your "its not about the kids (them)" comment?

And who's to know he took the HC job and HC hired him knowing when his second son graduated he would step down. I don't know if this was discussed but could see this conversation having gone down during the interview process.

I can garuntee you that the question was asked and answered by no less than 6 of his previous players, and they agreed with what camelman stated. Not all the players were asked but enough to see what the general consensus was.

What is the fascination with Joe Fredrick? Why in the world would he want to leave the situation he is currently in? Joe Frederick is going nowhere until Scott Ruthsatz goes somewhere.

Ben Franzen would be a great choice for this opening IMO. How about Kevin Bundy? Andre McClendon may also be a good choice, but could he perhaps be interested in that Covington Holmes job?

The fascination is ask anyone at Covington Catholic if he is a good coach!!!

1) There is a point in time that a assistant coach wants to build his own program. So maybe he is ready to be a head coach and build his own program

2) I can only image that a head coach doesn't want this job because of the pay( Maybe the All A Schools maybe). So might as well go outside the program and hire assistant coach that has some success.

3) Record as a assistant coach at Cov. Cath. 152-25. 3 Regional Championship, 1 State Title and 1 Final Four

4) He is connected to AAU programs and College Basketball.

No brainer for me

1) There is a point in time that a assistant coach wants to build his own program. So maybe he is ready to be a head coach and build his own program

2) I can only image that a head coach doesn't want this job because of the pay( Maybe the All A Schools maybe). So might as well go outside the program and hire assistant coach that has some success.

3) Record as a assistant coach at Cov. Cath. 152-25. 3 Regional Championship, 1 State Title and 1 Final Four

No brainer for me

Record as assistant? So when/if he becomes a head coach he starts with 152 wins!?

No brainer for me

I was not and am not calling into question his abilities as a coach or his connections. My question, which has been answered privately, was whether he had a desire to coach a team of his own.

No brainer for me

I wish we all should be so lucky as to meet Coach Fredrick someday. From the way he comes billed by you, it must be quite the life-altering experience to get to be introduced to the man.

Holy Cross needs a coach who knows the school and its place within the community.

Fredrick's name has been mentioned and I think it popped up the last time it was open. From what I hear is that I don't think it is a match.

Jeff Trame is a name that has been mentioned.

Andre McClendon is a real possibility.

Kes Murphy is another name that has been bantered about.

Dave Bezold would be a excellent hire, but not sure if he leaves his role at Xavier. If Neal gets another year, I don't see him leaving Victory Parkway.

Holy Cross needs a coach who knows the school and its place within the community.

Fredrick's name has been mentioned and I think it popped up the last time it was open. From what I hear is that I don't think it is a match.

Dave Bezold would be a excellent hire, but not sure if he leaves his role at Xavier. If Neal gets another year, I don't see him leaving Victory Parkway.

Agreed... if the concern here is to not get anyone who is merely serving their own interests then not a good fit for sure. Some of the others you mentioned, to different degrees, IMO would make way more sense, and would better serve the Holy Cross community.

I don’t think Jeff or Dave are interested. I think Andre would do really well and keep Muck which would be helpful as well.