October 5, 20179 yr I get one each year because they come to work and are free. I also get my kids flu shots each year. One of my kids got the flu once even with the shot, so I know they are not fool proof…. but what the heck, may as well try lol… The flushot used to be what they called Trivalent. Basically means it protected against 3 different strains of Influenza. Two Influenza A strains and one Influenza B strain. I think it was 2014 - 2015 when the when the Quadvalent vaccine came out. It includes a second Infuenza B. My understanding is that both are still produced. You'd have to ask the person dispensing if they know which it is. I'm assuming they do it regionally based on the types of influnza common in an area of the country. The vaccine strains are adjusted every year.
October 5, 20179 yr Every year and once you get to a certain age, or have health issues it can be life and death.
October 5, 20179 yr In part based on this thread I got my Flu shot today. I went to Kroger and found out quickly there is big competition inside Kroger for your "charge free" Flu shot. In short, both the Pharmacy and the Little Clinic offer the Flu shots. In my case, the pharmacy "sales person" tech appeared to be a little put out that I went with the Little Clinic. It was so bad (not really) the pharmacy tech called out to me while I was speaking with the Little Clinic tech to tell me my the Flu shot is over here in the pharmacy. The Little Clinic tech and the Little Clinic Nurse Practitioner both told me that is just how the Pharmacy rolls at Kroger and this is a long standing issue of contention/competition over Flu shots.
October 5, 20179 yr In part based on this thread I got my Flu shot today. I went to Kroger and found out quickly there is big competition inside Kroger for your "charge free" Flu shot. In short, both the Pharmacy and the Little Clinic offer the Flu shots. In my case, the pharmacy "sales person" tech appeared to be a little put out that I went with the Little Clinic. It was so bad (not really) the pharmacy tech called out to me while I was speaking with the Little Clinic tech to tell me my the Flu shot is over here in the pharmacy. The Little Clinic tech and the Little Clinic Nurse Practitioner both told me that is just how the Pharmacy rolls at Kroger and this is a long standing issue of contention/competition over Flu shots. Interesting. Wish there was healthy competition for the price of groceries. Never had the flu but started getting a flu shot 4 years ago as a precaution for a relative who is not supposed to be around anyone who has not had one. As mentioned previously they are "best guess" flu shots so if some strain develops and spreads thru the area and it was not accounted for in the shot you got you are at risk just like someone who did not get the shot.
October 5, 20179 yr The flushot used to be what they called Trivalent. Basically means it protected against 3 different strains of Influenza. Two Influenza A strains and one Influenza B strain. I think it was 2014 - 2015 when the when the Quadvalent vaccine came out. It includes a second Infuenza B. My understanding is that both are still produced. You'd have to ask the person dispensing if they know which it is. I'm assuming they do it regionally based on the types of influnza common in an area of the country. The vaccine strains are adjusted every year. That's interesting - the year my kid got it... it was one of the B strains (prob before the Quadvalent came out).
October 6, 20179 yr Strange story, My wife and kids always get them and Ive always skipped 3 years ago when My wife was pregnant with our 3rd child the Dr. Strongly suggested I got one So i did. I didnt have a reaction or anything BUT I noticed when I ate eggs My throat would feel like it was closing. I then went back to the Dr. to see what it could be she then sent me to an allergist and sure enough I was allergic to eggs (I've eaten eggs my whole life). When I went back to regular Dr. after the allergist to go over the results and what not she then informed me with an egg allergy I Shouldnt get the flu shot. I'm thinking whatever is in the flu shot caused the egg allergy to come out. My wife and kids continue to get the flu shot but I was one and done. Similar to what happened to my husband. He will not get one anymore. My son and I both get one every year. I get flu, pneumonia series and shingle. I got this 4 years ago and wish I had not.
October 6, 20179 yr I know for most folks, including me, the flu is no big deal. I have had the flu before, survived, and felt my immune system was all the better for it. Flu shots are mandatory where I work. I used to think this was annoying. Over the years I have learned the following... 1. The flu is often fatal to the elderly and the very young. You do not fall into that category? You can still pass the flu onto those at risk. 2. Every year there are cases of perfectly healthy children and adults who, despite all odds, die from the flu. Unless you have a clear contraindication, get immunized. It is not always just about you. Protect yourself, and more importantly, others. Edited October 6, 20179 yr by Beechwoodfan
October 6, 20179 yr I get the shot every year and strongly urge others to do so. And please don't believe the myth that you can get the flu from the shot because, no, you can't. Misconceptions about Seasonal Flu and Flu Vaccines
October 6, 20179 yr I've gotten a flu shot twice in my life. I got sick both years I did it. Wash your hands more.
October 6, 20179 yr Similar to what happened to my husband. He will not get one anymore. My son and I both get one every year. I got this 4 years ago and wish I had not. The shot or the infection?
October 6, 20179 yr I got the flu once about 12 years ago and I guarantee everyone I haven't missed a flu shot since then. That's what the nurse at the health fair at school was telling folks. She said that if you ever got the flu you would never again fail to get the shot. Failing to get the shot is just a risk not worth taking.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.