Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Flu shots

Featured Replies

I've gotten a flu shot twice in my life. I got sick both years I did it.

 

Had nothing to do with the shot. Believe me.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn’t hurt anything to get one, but from a doctor friend of mine that I respect, he said the flu shot is one of the biggest rackets in all of medicine. He told me the chances of the shot you get preventing the flu is minuscule.

It doesn’t hurt anything to get one, but from a doctor friend of mine that I respect, he said the flu shot is one of the biggest rackets in all of medicine. He told me the chances of the shot you get preventing the flu is minuscule.

 

Good hygiene is more important. Wash your hands frequently and well. Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough; and not with your hand. Use your sleeve if you have to or carry a handkerchief. Avoid close contact with those who are sick and avoid large crowds.

As an IT guy, I have to touch more keyboards than Carters has pills. I'm washing my hands constantly and using Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer like it is going out of style. If a user is obviously sick, their station gets a dose of Lysol spray before I'll even touch it.

 

I get a flu shot every year.

Had nothing to do with the shot. Believe me.

 

I understand that. Just wasn't good for my psyche. lol

The shot or the infection?

 

The shingles shot. For 4 years now I feel like I have the shingles all the time with the pain but no rash. Dr's at Cleveland Clinic can not find out what is causing all the pain. I believe it was caused by the shingles shot. If anyone has had the shingles then they know what pain I am in.

It doesn’t hurt anything to get one, but from a doctor friend of mine that I respect, he said the flu shot is one of the biggest rackets in all of medicine. He told me the chances of the shot you get preventing the flu is minuscule.

 

I would be highly suspicious of your doctor friend. I know a lot of doctors in a variety of specialties. Not one of them would say that.

 

I have a good friend who works as a pediactric ICU nurse. No way will she or her children ever miss a flu shot.

The shingles shot. For 4 years now I feel like I have the shingles all the time with the pain but no rash. Dr's at Cleveland Clinic can not find out what is causing all the pain. I believe it was caused by the shingles shot. If anyone has had the shingles then they know what pain I am in.

 

Have you been tested for fibromyalgia?

The shingles shot. For 4 years now I feel like I have the shingles all the time with the pain but no rash. Dr's at Cleveland Clinic can not find out what is causing all the pain. I believe it was caused by the shingles shot. If anyone has had the shingles then they know what pain I am in.

 

I had a bad case of shingles as a kid. I'll definitely discuss this with my doctor.

Have you been tested for fibromyalgia?

 

Yes. At Cleveland Clinic I have been tested for everything. I had surgery for MALS but 20% of the time it is underlying causes, well I was in that 20%.

 

I had a bad case of shingles as a kid. I'll definitely discuss this with my doctor.

 

I would if I was you. I had the shingles in my 30's.

I know for most folks, including me, the flu is no big deal. I have had the flu before, survived, and felt my immune system was all the better for it. Flu shots are mandatory where I work. I used to think this was annoying. Over the years I have learned the following...

 

1. The flu is often fatal to the elderly and the very young. You do not fall into that category? You can still pass the flu onto those at risk.

 

2. Every year there are cases of perfectly healthy children and adults who, despite all odds, die from the flu.

 

Unless you have a clear contraindication, get immunized. It is not always just about you. Protect yourself, and more importantly, others.

 

A pharmacist friend of mine told me a story once when he worked retail back in the 90’s, a senior citizen came in and asked him if he really needed one. A month or so later his wife came in and said he passsed away from complications of the flu. He never got one.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.