Zion Harmon, BGHS super player received HUGE news...

Purely a guess on my part. I think he is a Purple for 1 more year, after which he heads to a prep school. Prep school will be one that is attached to his circle of coaches in his travelling teams. Special player that will be worth keeping an eye on next several years.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before HS sports and social media took over the world folks looked to start their kids as early as possible. Not so much anymore. The older age may play a part in success when he/she is younger but eventually talent or lack there of shines through. I could count the athletes in my child's school (male athletes) on one hand that will not be 18 by their junior year.

Can you imagine the disappointment in all those redshirt houses when they realize Little Johnny ain't suiting up for the 'Cats? Those kids were probably amazing in MS

I know your kid's a superstar, but,,,,,,,

Gawd this diatribe is tired. Look, your kids got housed by an 8th grader. If it really makes you feel that much better, your kid got housed by a "could be frosh". :angrybird3:

What is this? Is it directed at someone specific? Is there some on going diatribe (forceful or bitter verbal attack against someone) that I missed....or did someone have an opinion that differs from yours and that's not permitted on this forum?

Purely a guess on my part. I think he is a Purple for 1 more year, after which he heads to a prep school. Prep school will be one that is attached to his circle of coaches in his travelling teams. Special player that will be worth keeping an eye on next several years.

If he sticks around this next year, it keeps them as the favorites in my opinion. Without him, I think it's Warren Central. If Bowling Green makes it through this gap year, they could very well win up to 8 in a row.

Good for Zion...I have seen the young man play and he is very very good.

As far as age goes, the poster that stated above that most kids are already 19 when they graduate high school...maybe in Germany and Sweden, I don't know, but HERE in the good ol' US of A, no. BY FAR the majority of kids in this country's high school system turn 18 at some point after their senior year starts. Some may have an early birthday and turn 18 sometime in August or September (a few even a little earlier), some might have a later birthday and turn 18 in April or May (like I did in April of my senior year), or maybe even walk across the stage still 17. I have a young man that plays basketball for me that won't turn 18 till late October after he graduates in 2019...he could actually be held back 2 years and still be eligible to play sports. He could have been an 8th grader this year in stead of a sophomore. Wow. At one time, it was somewhat unusual to have someone who had already turned 19 still in school, and those kids had usually (though not always) "failed" a grade somewhere along the line and had to repeat. Though in this day and age of hold backs and with kids turning 19 in their senior year more common, it's still largely in the minority and I would be very very surprised if it's more than 10%, and my guess is that number is probably a high estimate.

What is this? Is it directed at someone specific? Is there some on going diatribe (forceful or bitter verbal attack against someone) that I missed....or did someone have an opinion that differs from yours and that's not permitted on this forum?
Relax partner. It's simply a statement that we have this same discussion a dozen times a year. No more no less. If you've got something else you'd like to say send me a PM.

This happens a great deal, a young person has some success, and another poster / faction comes on waving the "he is too old", "he won't be eligible as a senior", or "his parents held him back for sports' reasons" flag. Many young phenoms that have come through KY, and I assume every other state in America, have had to deal with their share of folks who were looking for an angle with which to find fault. That is Doc's point, no more, no less. Patrick Beverly, Brandon Hatton, and OJ Mayo are three hoopers, off the top of my head, that faced such criticism (loosely defined) on this board.

And now, since I didn't turn 18 until the middle of my 2nd semester in college, I'm going to go cry over my "what-might-have-beens". :bunny:

A lot of kids on the shoe circuit are "hold backs". If your kid is remotely a D1 prospect in basketball, you might want to think about it long and hard. College coaches don't seem to frown on it; and that one year difference is huge in the kids body development. I don't see anything wrong with it, almost seems brilliant.

A lot of kids on the shoe circuit are "hold backs". If your kid is remotely a D1 prospect in basketball, you might want to think about it long and hard. College coaches don't seem to frown on it; and that one year difference is huge in the kids body development. I don't see anything wrong with it, almost seems brilliant.

Perfectly stated.

Well a lot of folks think junior is a D 1 potential at the age of 5 and hold them back at that point. A year at the younger grade is huge. I have seen kids dominate early only to fizzle out and stop growing by early high school leaving them frustrated with playing time or getting cut.

In my opinion the reason people take issue with the hold backs is simply in response to a post or comment that highlights "the only 8th grader" or he's just a freshman, etc. It is pointed out and/or stressed to make a point of how much more impressive the feat or accomplishment is because the person is so young. Then when someone responds by pointing out that they are a bit older than most of the kids in their grade and it is deemed trying to knock or attack the player. Maybe it is intended that way maybe it's not but at that point the debate is on. This a polarizing topic and debates are going to happen like it or not.

Well a lot of folks think junior is a D 1 potential at the age of 5 and hold them back at that point. A year at the younger grade is huge. I have seen kids dominate early only to fizzle out and stop growing by early high school leaving them frustrated with playing time or getting cut.

I'm certain there's some truth to that statement. And in that case it didn't work out for Jr. That year that Jr. was held back had no bearing on the end result that he probably was never gonna be a D1 athlete. Going to some of these tournaments I see the development of some of these kids a year older, and it absolutely is a game changer. Each parent has to weigh their individual situation differently, as it may not be the best answer for your child.

In my opinion the reason people take issue with the hold backs is simply in response to a post or comment that highlights "the only 8th grader" or he's just a freshman, etc. It is pointed out and/or stressed to make a point of how much more impressive the feat or accomplishment is because the person is so young. Then when someone responds by pointing out that they are a bit older than most of the kids in their grade and it is deemed trying to knock or attack the player. Maybe it is intended that way maybe it's not but at that point the debate is on. This a polarizing topic and debates are going to happen like it or not.

My stance on that is that if the player would be eligible in all subsequent years ahead of them (i.e. if they're "just a freshman" but will still be eligible as a senior) then it is fair game to stress what grade they're in. That they're slightly older is going to be irrelevant because they'll still be playing when they're a senior. Therefore "just an 8th grader" means this guy is this good and has FOUR YEARS ahead of him still.

My stance on that is that if the player would be eligible in all subsequent years ahead of them (i.e. if they're "just a freshman" but will still be eligible as a senior) then it is fair game to stress what grade they're in. That they're slightly older is going to be irrelevant because they'll still be playing when they're a senior. Therefore "just an 8th grader" means this guy is this good and has FOUR YEARS ahead of him still.

I agree with you but it should also be fair game for another person to add that they are a hold back if that is the case. I don't think it's always meant to detract from the player. Sometimes it is relevant and provides the full story, i.e. why is the player so much more developed, bigger, etc.

All this being said and back to the thread. Zion Harmon is a super talent and has proven that he deserves the recognition and accolades that he has received.