Zion Harmon, BGHS super player received HUGE news...

Has there ever been a High School player from Kentucky ranked in the Top 10 of their class nationally? That is not a smarty pants question. I am interested to know how many times a HS kid with KY ties has made this type list. (For that matter also MADE a USA Basketball squad, not tried out).

Pretty sure Rex Chapman fits the criteria.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there ever been a High School player from Kentucky ranked in the Top 10 of their class nationally? That is not a smarty pants question. I am interested to know how many times a HS kid with KY ties has made this type list. (For that matter also MADE a USA Basketball squad, not tried out).

In the 70s and 80s it was not uncommon for Kentucky to have a top 5 player.

In the first 17 McDonald's All-American games from 1977-1993, there were 11 Kentuckians that played.

Tony Kimbro, Rex Chapman, and Allan Houston were all on the 5-man USA Today All-American First Team.

As was mentioned, Darrell Griffith was considered by many the top player in the country. Wes Unseld was also highly regarded.

Jason Osbourne (Male) was a McD AA in 93

Dwayne Morton (Central) was a MCD AA in 90

Carlos Hurt (Moore) was a McD AA in 2001

Rajon Rondo (ended up at Oak Hill) but from Louisville was a McD AA in 2004

Nolan Smith (ended up at Oak Hill) but from Louisville was a McD AA in 2007

Scotty Hopson (University Heights) was a McD AA in 2008

Chane Behanan (Bowling Green) was a McD AA in 2011

D'Angelo Russell (end up in Florida) but from Louisville was a McD AA in 2014

• 2 weeks later...
Any update on Zion Harmon heard a rumor but I'm doubting it.

One wouldn't think any decision would be made until the Purples name a new coach. Have heard a few rumors out there as of late, a few interesting ones on different in-state schools, some expected some un-expected even though the assumption by all has been Bowling Green or prep school.

Essentially Harmon has his choice being that even though he has played varsity your eligibility isn't established until you begin your freshman year like Quentin Snider for example. He played at Fern Creek as an 8th grader and was able to transfer to Ballard as a freshman or Cole VonHandorf at Villa Madonna to Cov Cath.

It will def be interesting and this is one I have a feeling we are going to hear plenty of schools but if I had to guess I'd say BG or Prep School is right. If he went to where I've heard for him it wouldn't make sense to me.

Where ever he goes they become an automatic contender and a lot of schools he makes them the favorite.