Zion Harmon, BGHS super player received HUGE news...

I hope he stays too. I don't expect him to though. To be honest I don't expect him to begin his high school classes at BGHS.

I can only imagine the sharks in the water that are trying to leech onto this kid.

Wasn't his initial intention in coming to Bowling Green last season was because 8th graders could play varsity basketball in Kentucky and not in Tennessee?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't his initial intention in coming to Bowling Green last season was because 8th graders could play varsity basketball in Kentucky and not in Tennessee?

I'm not sure. I've never heard any reason why his family moved from Tennessee to Bowling Green. Makes sense though. Sounds plausible.

Taking nothing away from the young man as he is a tremendous talent but he was not your typical 8th grader. He was 15 years old on March 12th, born in 2002. As others stated it will be fun to watch him the next 4 years if he stays in the bluegrass. Will he be able to play in Ky. when he's a senior?

Why do people try to make a big deal about kids age. You all do realize that about half the students graduate high school at age 19 or with 3 months of turning 19. He might be 6 months older than the average age of all graduates in the 2021 class. Just enjoy his and every other kids abilities and quit trying to take away from their excellence.

As far as I know there is no limiter in Tennessee on playing varsity in middle school. I'm fairly certain he started varsity as a 7th Grader at the school he was at. Their coach left, and so he left, was the official story. I do believe that he was there because you can't play varsity as a middle schooler in Maryland, where he's from.

As far as I know there is no limiter in Tennessee on playing varsity in middle school. I'm fairly certain he started varsity as a 7th Grader at the school he was at. Their coach left, and so he left, was the official story. I do believe that he was there because you can't play varsity as a middle schooler in Maryland, where he's from.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a playing opportunity move in there somewhere.

I was 17 when I graduated high school. I'd like to see how my 19 year old self could have done playing high school ball.

I didn't turn 18 until a couple days after I moved to WKU for freshman year. So I'm with that. I matured quick in the pick-up games on campus.

Why do people try to make a big deal about kids age. You all do realize that about half the students graduate high school at age 19 or with 3 months of turning 19. He might be 6 months older than the average age of all graduates in the 2021 class. Just enjoy his and every other kids abilities and quit trying to take away from their excellence.

This is plain and simple not true and inaccurate.

Do you have anything to support this?

About half may be a stretch. I'd say 25% of kids graduating high school are turning 19 within 6 months of beginning their freshman year of college.

In 5-10 years I expect that 25% to be closer to 50%.

About half may be a stretch. I'd say 25% of kids graduating high school are turning 19 within 6 months of beginning their freshman year of college.

This seems much closer to reality.

I wonder what the percentage of that 25 are playing sports? Somewhere in the 85-90 range feels about right. Gotta give Junior the best chance possible to suit up for the 'Cats one day.

I've said many times on here I waited to start my kids. My daughter and son will be 19 before they start college. It had nothing to do sports but with maturity. I'm a teacher and I can definitely tell which kids are more mature and it usually is the older kids.

I see mostly benefits of waiting to start your kid.

I've said many times on here I waited to start my kids. My daughter and son will be 19 before they start college. It had nothing to do sports but with maturity. I'm a teacher and I can definitely tell which kids are more mature and it usually is the older kids.

I see mostly benefits of waiting to start your kid.

Same here we started ours later too. He graduated in May and turned 19 in July. There were several of the kids in his class that their parents did the same thing.

I wonder what the percentage of that 25 are playing sports? Somewhere in the 85-90 range feels about right. Gotta give Junior the best chance possible to suit up for the 'Cats one day.

I wish I had held back my oldest. He would have benefitted academically and athletically from being held back for sure. Especially while he has been in college.

My youngest is what I call a natural hold back. His birthday is on Halloween and he'll be 18 the day of the first game of the year this season and will be 19 most of his freshman year of college.