Zion Harmon, BGHS super player received HUGE news...

Has there ever been a High School player from Kentucky ranked in the Top 10 of their class nationally? That is not a smarty pants question. I am interested to know how many times a HS kid with KY ties has made this type list. (For that matter also MADE a USA Basketball squad, not tried out).

OJ Mayo?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harmons former AAU coach for multiple years is a head high school coach in Kentucky, would he end up there? Doubtful since he didn't end up there to begin with.

Haven't heard Hopkinsville as a possible destination but did hear University Heights. He used to play AAU with KyKy Tandy some.

Scotty Hopson was #7 ranked prospect nationally in 2008.

SCOUT 2008 PLAYER RANKINGS

O.J. Mayo was the #1 player in the nation 2007.

SCOUT 2007 PLAYER RANKINGS

Harmons former AAU coach for multiple years is a head high school coach in Kentucky, would he end up there? Doubtful since he didn't end up there to begin with.

Haven't heard Hopkinsville as a possible destination but did hear University Heights. He used to play AAU with KyKy Tandy some.

Scotty Hopson was #7 ranked prospect nationally in 2008.

SCOUT 2008 PLAYER RANKINGS

O.J. Mayo was the #1 player in the nation 2007.

SCOUT 2007 PLAYER RANKINGS

Though they would make an awesome back court, I just don't see that happening.

• 2 weeks later...
Has there ever been a High School player from Kentucky ranked in the Top 10 of their class nationally? That is not a smarty pants question. I am interested to know how many times a HS kid with KY ties has made this type list. (For that matter also MADE a USA Basketball squad, not tried out).

Darrell Griffith was considered the best high school player in the nation his senior year. Tony Kimbro was a top-five player. Manual Forrest was a McDonald's All-American.

He played varsity as a 7th Grader in TN so that's a pretty weird reason for him to move back to TN.

It is my understanding that something changed with this rule and is part of the reason why he transferred to BG. Time will tell on where he will be next fall. BG was his 3rd school in 3 years...

It is my understanding that something changed with this rule and is part of the reason why he transferred to BG. Time will tell on where he will be next fall. BG was his 3rd school in 3 years...

He's orginally from Maryland and is currently playing AAU for Boo Williams out of Virginia. I figure if he was to go anywhere it would be back to the DMV area. My sources in BG still say that he is coming back to BG although I suspect that whoever is the next coach to take over BG may have a role in that decision. I still expect him to graduate from a prep school and not BGHS so whether he leaves this year or in a year or so I still expect him to leave at some point.

He's orginally from Maryland and is currently playing AAU for Boo Williams out of Virginia. I figure if he was to go anywhere it would be back to the DMV area. My sources in BG still say that he is coming back to BG although I suspect that whoever is the next coach to take over BG may have a role in that decision. I still expect him to graduate from a prep school and not BGHS so whether he leaves this year or in a year or so I still expect him to leave at some point.

yep. It's interesting. He's "so" good that I don't think where he goes to high school matters. Stability would be the best thing for him. Find the place where he can get the best education and the rest will take care of itself. A really good boarding school that will allow him to be around other very successful kids would be a good spot. Somewhere like McCalley in Chatanooga etc. Good sports, great education, great experience.

yep. It's interesting. He's "so" good that I don't think where he goes to high school matters. Stability would be the best thing for him. Find the place where he can get the best education and the rest will take care of itself. A really good boarding school that will allow him to be around other very successful kids would be a good spot. Somewhere like McCalley in Chatanooga etc. Good sports, great education, great experience.

Agreed. Stability is the most important thing for a quality education.