Gov Bevins's Solution to end violence in Louisville

White flight is white people who moved out of their neighborhoods simply because black people moved in. The neighborhoods were great neighborhoods at the time. After white flight the neighborhoods became forgotten about and left alone and eventually they became the worst neighborhoods in large cities. That is white flight. I'm not sure what you were thinking white flight was/is.

What statement does it make that after the so called white flight the neighborhoods deteriorated?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What statement does it make that after the so called white flight the neighborhoods deteriorated?

That white neighborhoods and communities will always be given the economic support needed to succeed and neighborhoods and communities with blacks in them won't be given those same opportunities.

That white neighborhoods and communities will always be given the economic support needed to succeed and neighborhoods and communities with blacks in them won't be given those same opportunities.
Individuals vote with their pocketbooks and feet. I have feeling that you do not, nor wish to live in a depressed area of Danville/BoyleCo.

Individuals vote with their pocketbooks and feet. I have feeling that you do not, nor wish to live in a depressed area of Danville/BoyleCo.

The Boyle County area isn't the issue or topic at hand. The discussion is around white flight and its effects. I don't think anyone alive wishes to live in a depressed area of any town or city.

I'm not sure where your white flight experience is. White Flight in Louisville really wasn't a flight to far flung suburbs. They "flew" to Crescent Hill, Shively, Beechmont and Highlands areas. None were any more "suburban" or far away from downtown Louisville than the West End.

The city of Detroit.

I'm not sure where your white flight experience is. White Flight in Louisville really wasn't a flight to far flung suburbs. They "flew" to Crescent Hill, Shively, Beechmont and Highlands areas. None were any more "suburban" or far away from downtown Louisville than the West End.

Crescent Hill, Shively, Beechmont and the Highlands got some White Flight but since they were already developed and to a degree, didn't have a lot of open housing for people to move to, home building in the suburbs got a majority of the White Flight. Hikes Point, where I grew up and still live in today, was probably the greatest recipient of White Flight and in the late 60s/early 70's when the Hikes Point homes were built, it was out in the suburbs back then.

Growing up in the 80's, I was about the only kid in my neighborhood I can think of who's parents did not grow up in the West End. Many parents mentioned after the 68 race riots through out the West End, they were informed, "This is our neighborhood now" and staying in the West End became uncomfortable so the new, better insulated homes of Hikes Point and other neighborhoods popping up in the suburbs looked appealing so they left.

The same thing is happening again. I am one of the few of my friends who stayed in Hikes Point, most have gone further East, their parents still live in Hikes Point to a large degree. But, as those parents pass on or whatever, the homes are being turned into rental properties and older rental property as a general rule does have more problems than owned property old or new so it wouldn't surprise me to see people leave Hikes Point for the newer, bigger, even better insulated homes further East.

Back to the original topic, Governor's Bevin's comment how to end the violence in Louisville. I think most would agree Bevin's comment was a bull crap comment but I think he made that comment to avoid saying the only two solutions out there which are very unpleasant and the public don't want to discuss them.

The first unpleasant solution is to go the route of much of Europe and to just legalize drugs. When a demanded product is criminalized, those who distribute that product cannot go to the police and courts when another distributor infringes on their turf, therefore they have to take matters into their own hands and use violence as is seen in the gang wars which lead to most of the shootings today. That was also seen during Prohibition where gangsters back then killed each other for turf. Ending prohibition ended that violence because distributors could go to the law to defend their rights. The same would happen with drugs but the idea of Heroin being legal is too much for most people to stomach.

The other unpleasant solution is to go the complete opposite direction and go the way of China and make drug distribution a capital offense and use execution quite often. An even more unpleasant solution but it has worked for China.

By no means do I like either solution but what we have been doing certainly hasn't worked. Jail time means nothing gang bangers, if anything, it is a mark of honor for them. And while in jail, others are just waiting to take their place to earn the vast riches of the drug trade.

Edited by PurplePride92
Rule 8

Back to the original topic, Governor's Bevin's comment how to end the violence in Louisville. I think most would agree Bevin's comment was a bull crap comment but I think he made that comment to avoid saying the only two solutions out there which are very unpleasant and the public don't want to discuss them.

The first unpleasant solution is to go the route of much of Europe and to just legalize drugs. When a demanded product is criminalized, those who distribute that product cannot go to the police and courts when another distributor infringes on their turf, therefore they have to take matters into their own hands and use violence as is seen in the gang wars which lead to most of the shootings today. That was also seen during Prohibition where gangsters back then killed each other for turf. Ending prohibition ended that violence because distributors could go to the law to defend their rights. The same would happen with drugs but the idea of Heroin being legal is too much for most people to stomach.

The other unpleasant solution is to go the complete opposite direction and go the way of China and make drug distribution a capital offense and use execution quite often. An even more unpleasant solution but it has worked for China.

By no means do I like either solution but what we have been doing certainly hasn't worked. Jail time means nothing gang bangers, if anything, it is a mark of honor for them. And while in jail, others are just waiting to take their place to earn the vast riches of the drug trade.

Excellent points.

Bevin must be doing a pretty good job , if he is infuriating the resident liberals here he is on the right track to further the state , and America's cause.

And again we all play witness to what remains of the Republican Party. It has no direction apart from "that which infuriates liberals". The party doesn't seem to have a collective vision with regard to much else these days. Talk radio burned it all to the ground and from its ashes seems to have arisen this abomination that has given us our governor and our president.

Hope it's everything you want it to be.

I still say the governor should be embarrassed that he showed up in the West End and said anything like this. At least pretend like your vision for economic growth in Kentucky has any hope of reaching them and talk about that. Talk about enhanced techniques and funding for law enforcement. Talk about why your plans for schools will help them.

He didn't.

And that's sadly predictable for politicians in this state and this city when dealing with folks in the West End.

Bevin must be doing a pretty good job , if he is infuriating the resident liberals here he is on the right track to further the state , and America's cause.

Yeah because Bert and I are so liberal. :lol2:

We could always build extra large crosses in the neighborhood too. That always stops violence. Just like telling people to get rid of all their guns and accept a ton more gun control stops all violence too.

I get that you don't like lefties and frankly my time in college gave me am intense disdain for them. However saying "pray it away," is like urinating om a house fire and expecting it to work.

His stance isn't much different than those who are saying that to fight ISIS, all you need is love.

Hmmmm. I missed that one. Can someone point out where a poster said: "To Fight ISIS, all you need is love?" :idunno: