Gov Bevins's Solution to end violence in Louisville

I honestly hoped he had intended to offer real options for building a foundation and solutions. As I said in my opening post, if he had offered an announcement of some sort of initiative to bring jobs to the West End, I'd have cheered him. The local politicians seem to be unable to do so. With Gov Bevins's​ commitment to bringing jobs to KY, I really thought that was what he was going to propose.

I am not one who thinks Chief Conrad needs to go. I also think the constant refrain in the media undermines the efforts of the police in Louisville, and I see yet another police chief on his way out. At some point, we have to ask why we keep.gettimg police chief, and then almost immediately, Metro Council, the FOP, etc. all almost immediately start publicly voicing a lack of confidence. And make no mistake, the FOP is absolutely as much at fault as anyone.

I definitely don't have 100% solid answers. I do believe the police from top to bottom are doing their best. I believe when there are questionable actions by officers, LMPD does a good job of investigating, and for the most part, I think the police perform their jobs with the right intent. There is a very big focus on creating dialogue and a sense of community between the communities and the police. I get weekly email updates and notices of events geared to put the police in contact with the citizens.

I don't think this is as much a problem that can be solved for the long haul simply with more police. I believe it is going to be solved in bettering the opportunities and day to day lives of those in the community. That's not a police issue. That is a city issue, and maybe even a state issue.

You can't force companies to put businesses or factories in these rough areas. I can't blame them for not wanting to put their business there. Not likely to turn much if any profit and your employees safety is at risk.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't force companies to put businesses or factories in these rough areas. I can't blame them for not wanting to put their business there. Not likely to turn much if any profit and your employees safety is at risk.

You are correct that you can't force them.

You could offer incentives that state and local governments do all the time for other areas of their constituency.

You could offer incentives that state and local governments do all the time for other areas of their constituency.

There are a few breweries in Lexington that are in urban areas that received large grants from the state to open a business in those areas.

There are a few breweries in Lexington that are in urban areas that received large grants from the state to open a business in those areas.

You and I both know the "rough" areas in Lexington and Louisville are no where near the same.

Kroger closed the Walnut hills store just recently. The city had put pressure and or gave incentives for it to stay open. Sometimes it just gets to a point where it is not worth it. Krogers gave bus passes to those that are affected until Aug.

Many say closing of Walnut Hills Kroger creates another 'Cincinnati food desert'

Kroger closed the Walnut hills store just recently. The city had put pressure and or gave incentives for it to stay open. Sometimes it just gets to a point where it is not worth it. Krogers gave bus passes to those that are affected until Aug.

Many say closing of Walnut Hills Kroger creates another 'Cincinnati food desert'

Oh, I can believe some business' don't want to stay in a location. But there are others, perhaps warehousing or small production groups that might locate with the right incentive.

Let's be honest. Nothing he could do would satisfy you. If he said increase police presence, people would be mad about that. Regardless of what Bevin says or does, the left will despise him.

For what it's worth, I think what he said was stupid, but I think he probably had something else in mind to do but advisors probably shot it down. All in all, I'm very pleased with the job he's doing and the respect he's shown for the military and first responders, when the left craps on them.

Whew. He sure did give the first responders in the West End of Louisville a ton of support. Hopefully all that extra prayer Bevin threw their way helps out...