Gov Bevins's Solution to end violence in Louisville

At the end of the day, West L'ville is just like any other impoverished neighborhood in a big city in the US. There's no decent place for folks to work within reasonable distance. And there's not been for some time. Because of that cycle, kids turn to peddling drugs because it's a hell of a lot more lucrative than working at McDonald's.

At that point, the cycle has been long in place.

Economic development in those impoverished areas in West L'ville and every other ghetto in the country is much needed, but it won't happen because it's too dangerous a neighborhood to invest in.

The starting point comes from abandoning the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality. Until that stops, random deaths from drug-related violence will continue to rage.

And while white folks gripe and moan about how bad those areas are, it's their own darned fault for making it that way in the first place with federally-regulated crap like redlining, followed by white flight and closing down factories that once thrived in those areas.

When all else fails, lay the blame on all white people.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I heard the people that would have actually benefited from it had no issues with the WalMart plan it was the pols that screwed it up. When you have an area as depressed as the West End is and when you have a major player trying to come in if you really way the business you make concessions.

You are correct. The people who stood to gain from Wal-Mart locating there were all for it. They wanted jobs and a decent place to shop. So, the politicians screwed it up, or Wal-Mart, or someone. But here we are, discussing whether it is a good idea to try and invest and lure commerce and industry there. Someone above essentially has written the West End off as a lost cause. I know people who live in the West End. They aren't drug dealers or drug addicts. They aren't on welfare. They own their homes, have jobs, have families. But one friend who was born and raised, and raised her own children within a 3 block radius at 26th and Dumenisl is looking to leave. She has a college age daughter who decided to buy in the Iroquois Park area, but S is looking at J-Town to buy. She doesn't want to leave. But she has a son about to enter middle school and she is terrified, knowing she can't protect him anymore. The older he gets, the riskier it is for him in the West End, either by joining a gang, or harmed because he refuses. Praying ain't working. And it's horrible the way political is standing in the way of revitalizing a significant part of our city.

Are you familiar with the history of Louisville and how the West End came to be as it is today? It's a complex story, and Jim is correct about white people abandoning it. There honestly is a really huge discussion that could be had, and still, some of the most egregious issues are, in fact, owned by white people.

Which part are you disputing? The White Flight that occurred? Because that most assuredly did happen in Louisville. Or the red lining? Because that also happened, in fact you can find a ton of maps there were created by local governments and the federal housing commission in the 20th century regarding this.

Those things happened and have resulted in largely segregated parts of the city. This is a large part of the rationale behind the bussing that happened in Louisville.

We are beyond the point of an overt racism having anything to do with it, now it is the systems put in place by people with that intent that we are dealing with the repurcussions of in this city.

I am not one to ever cry race on much of anything, but the history is there in Louisville sadly. I love my hometown but we have some things we still need to work on fixing that our ancestors were responsible for.

Are you familiar with the history of Louisville and how the West End came to be as it is today? It's a complex story, and Jim is correct about white people abandoning it. There honestly is a really huge discussion that could be had, and still, some of the most egregious issues are, in fact, owned by white people.

My father's side of my family were definitely among those that were part of the white flight.

Didn't say anything about leaving.....

My apologies.

So then why should someone need to "find a better place" if they wish to engage in "fixing" the current place of residence? In other words, why does there need to be a comparison between "where would you rather live" and "where one does live?"

My apologies.

So then why should someone need to "find a better place" if they wish to engage in "fixing" the current place of residence? In other words, why does there need to be a comparison between "where would you rather live" and "where one does live?"

It's the old "my country - love it or leave it" mindset.

I always thought "my country - love it or help change it to make it better" was a viable option.

This white flight thing has always bugged me. If you want a better life for your family should you not pursue it? It is some how bad to want what is best for your kids ?

White flight is white people who moved out of their neighborhoods simply because black people moved in. The neighborhoods were great neighborhoods at the time. After white flight the neighborhoods became forgotten about and left alone and eventually they became the worst neighborhoods in large cities. That is white flight. I'm not sure what you were thinking white flight was/is.

White flight is white people who moved out of their neighborhoods simply because black people moved in. The neighborhoods were great neighborhoods at the time. After white flight the neighborhoods became forgotten about and left alone and eventually they became the worst neighborhoods in large cities. That is white flight. I'm not sure what you were thinking white flight was/is.

Again white flight was moving from urban to suburban neighborhoods. If someone feels that is a better place to raise their kids who is anyone else to judge ? What obligation do they have besides their own family?

Again white flight was moving from urban to suburban neighborhoods. If someone feels that is a better place to raise their kids who is anyone else to judge ? What obligation do they have besides their own family?

I'm not sure where your white flight experience is. White Flight in Louisville really wasn't a flight to far flung suburbs. They "flew" to Crescent Hill, Shively, Beechmont and Highlands areas. None were any more "suburban" or far away from downtown Louisville than the West End.