Gov Bevins's Solution to end violence in Louisville

Last week, after a 7 year old was killed by a stray bullet while sitting and eating cake at his kitchen table in his own home, Gov. Bevin posted a Facebook live saying he had a solution he would unveil this week. Well, yesterday he spoke at Western Middle School and about 400 people showed up. His solution was unveiled. He proposes small groups of people get together, walk the streets and pray.

Now, I am all for prayer. Hell, so are the people who live in that area. There are frequent prayer vigils on street corners. They have vigils to end violence, remember victims, create unity...you name it. There is a lot of street prayer going on in the West End.

I had really hoped he would announce some economic initiatives to lure investment, jobs, improvement in the quality of life.... something.

Maybe I'm overreacting. But why would he go Facebook live to announce an impending announcement....and then just show up and tell people they need to pray more? Anyone have any thoughts here?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, after a 7 year old was killed by a stray bullet while sitting and eating cake at his kitchen table in his own home, Gov. Bevin posted a Facebook live saying he had a solution he would unveil this week. Well, yesterday he spoke at Western Middle School and about 400 people showed up. His solution was unveiled. He proposes small groups of people get together, walk the streets and pray.

Now, I am all for prayer. Hell, so are the people who live in that area. There are frequent prayer vigils on street corners. They have vigils to end violence, remember victims, create unity...you name it. There is a lot of street prayer going on in the West End.

I had really hoped he would announce some economic initiatives to lure investment, jobs, improvement in the quality of life.... something.

Maybe I'm overreacting. But why would he go Facebook live to announce an impending announcement....and then just show up and tell people they need to pray more? Anyone have any thoughts here?

While I'm completely with you on everything else, I'm not so sure the bolded would be a solution. Sure it could help, but in reality most of the people doing these type of shootings are in a drug war with other dealers/gangs/whatever. They don't want jobs, they can claim that they don't work and get a government handout and on top of that make more money selling dope than they would if they had a decent job. Most of the people doing these senseless acts don't WANT to work. Even if good jobs are available.

I didn't even want to bring this up here. But here it is.

That buffoon should be embarrassed that he made that appearance. The problem with the West End is that they just don't pray enough?

Christ.

What stones on this guy. An absolute embarrassment to Kentucky. Hopefully we can Fletcher this guy and make him the one-term governor he deserves to be.

That buffoon should be embarrassed that he made that appearance. The problem with the West End is that they just don't pray enough?

Christ.

What stones on this guy. An absolute embarrassment to Kentucky. Hopefully we can Fletcher this guy and make him the one-term governor he deserves to be.

Sorry. I debated long and hard before starting the thread. But in the end, I feel it needs to be discussed, because I don't think people understand that that most people in the West End are hardworking individuals and families, doing the right things. I don't have the answer, but in my opinion, he basically made a big deal about himself....using their horrific reality to get some publicity.

While I'm completely with you on everything else, I'm not so sure the bolded would be a solution. Sure it could help, but in reality most of the people doing these type of shootings are in a drug war with other dealers/gangs/whatever. They don't want jobs, they can claim that they don't work and get a government handout and on top of that make more money selling dope than they would if they had a decent job. Most of the people doing these senseless acts don't WANT to work. Even if good jobs are available.

I don't know. You may be right. But I do know that it is the poorest area of town, shopping for even the basics either has to be done outside the West End or is expensive due to the convenience type store that they can get to. Jobs are non-existant, for the most part. A lot of people have no transportation, so jobs have to be on the bus line, which creates it's own set of issues if you have children.

I don't know. You may be right. But I do know that it is the poorest area of town, shopping for even the basics either has to be done outside the West End or is expensive due to the convenience type store that they can get to. Jobs are non-existant, for the most part. A lot of people have no transportation, so jobs have to be on the bus line, which creates it's own set of issues if you have children.

I get your points and I wish I believed it could work. But I live in Ashland and while it's not a mess of violence, nearby Huntington, WV is. Per capita, I imagine it will end up with more violent crimes than Louisville this year. Pretty sure there has been a shooting nearly every day this week with at least one murder. That's becoming the norm for that part of the tristate area. Most of the people involved are gang members or drug dealers, most of them being transplants from the Detroit area even. They don't want to work, they just come to this area to do their own kind of work. That is where my line of thinking comes from.

Why would they work when they are collecting free money for food and such, then making as much as they would with a decent job on the side? They don't care about being shot because in their mind they will take care of that problem before it happens. It's sad, but it's what it is and it's mainly due to drugs. The west end of Louisville may have a better chance, I dunno. But for reference Huntington is a city of about 50k people. You shouldn't be able to turn on the news every day and hear about a shooting or murder in a town that size.

I've been drinking so I will refrain from answering this post tonight and in the future as well. Our country sucks and that is the truth.

At the end of the day, West L'ville is just like any other impoverished neighborhood in a big city in the US. There's no decent place for folks to work within reasonable distance. And there's not been for some time. Because of that cycle, kids turn to peddling drugs because it's a hell of a lot more lucrative than working at McDonald's.

At that point, the cycle has been long in place.

Economic development in those impoverished areas in West L'ville and every other ghetto in the country is much needed, but it won't happen because it's too dangerous a neighborhood to invest in.

The starting point comes from abandoning the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality. Until that stops, random deaths from drug-related violence will continue to rage.

And while white folks gripe and moan about how bad those areas are, it's their own darned fault for making it that way in the first place with federally-regulated crap like redlining, followed by white flight and closing down factories that once thrived in those areas.

Christ.

That was my initial reaction as well.

But when they get a chance to get some economic development, a retailer and many jobs the local pols blocked it because they didn't like the company.

I am with you on that one too, WalMart might not be like bringing in a GM plant or anything but it does offer better than the small liquor stores and gas stations in that part of town.

It may not have been ideal, but it was a starting point.

Or Wal-Mart could've just built an urban store like they've done in other cities in order to be compliant with city building codes and the wishes of people who live in the neighborhood but they dicided they wanted it at the back of a giant parking lot like they were dropping it in the middle of nowhere. There were a lot of people involved in that thing that wanted it on their terms or not at all and that's exactly what happened.

Or Wal-Mart could've just built an urban store like they've done in other cities in order to be compliant with city building codes and the wishes of people who live in the neighborhood but they dicided they wanted it at the back of a giant parking lot like they were dropping it in the middle of nowhere. There were a lot of people involved in that thing that wanted it on their terms or not at all and that's exactly what happened.

From what I heard the people that would have actually benefited from it had no issues with the WalMart plan it was the pols that screwed it up. When you have an area as depressed as the West End is and when you have a major player trying to come in if you really way the business you make concessions.