Thanksgiving Randoms

Pura Vida

Have an apple cake in the oven right now. Will pour the hot icing over it when it comes out. Apple cake always taste better if they sit a few days before eating.

Thinking about making a mince meat pie also to go along with pumpkin and apple pies.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleaned house on Friday. Shopped with my sisters on Monday for all the fixings. Today is prepare: jello salad, turkey broth, smoked salmon log, cranberry relish,, set up tables while listening to my favorite music. Wednesday: brime 2 turkeys, sisters return in evening for turkey prep and wine. Thursday: 24 to 26 family and friends for 1:00 dinner. Each family brings their speciality for the meal. I do turkey, dressing, mashed potatos, gravey. Unfortunatly, none of my kids will be here,. 2 live too far away and Trinity is tradition for the other. I love the prep, the talk, the card games, the football, the neighborhood walk. I am blessed more than I deserve.

Norwegian staple. My dad's grandparents were from Norway.

It's a potato flatbread in which boiled potatoes are rolled out flat and then baked on a large griddle. You spread butter on it and roll it up. Very temperamental to cook. Tends to stick and not work right if it's too warm or humid out.

When you look at one when it's come off the grill, it looks like a potato tortilla.

It's a staple of every Thanksgiving and Christmas in my dad's family.

I pick up lefse at our local Sons of Norway. Might I suggest a pinch of brown sugar on top of the butter.

I pick up lefse at our local Sons of Norway. Might I suggest a pinch of brown sugar on top of the butter.

I've done the brown sugar, but usually not at Thanksgiving. When I was a kid, my grandma used to give it to us with cinnamon and sugar.

No family around this Thanksgiving besides the wife. Thursday morning will be a local 10K or a swim/spin brick session. We hope to volunteer later that day at a church or Salvation Army. Friday night is the "I Love the 90s" concert that I am stoked for. Saturday I cook the obligatory bird and having over a couple, one of which is in residency; thus, why we can't do this on Thursday. Sunday is "Friendsgiving" with other locals.

I've done the brown sugar, but usually not at Thanksgiving. When I was a kid, my grandma used to give it to us with cinnamon and sugar.

Next week I am attending a traditional Norwegian Christmas celebration that you would get a kick out of. Filled with lefse, pickled herring, glogg, and rommegraut.

Eating at 2:00. Heading to Indy to watch Steelers/Colts with the whole fam that evening. I prepare my usual, Turkey, dressing, scalloped potatoes and the rest. I do all the cooking, minus the pumpkin roll that the youngest prepares. However, I do no cleanup. Terrific trade.

Next week I am attending a traditional Norwegian Christmas celebration that you would get a kick out of. Filled with lefse, pickled herring, glogg, and rommegraut.

My family still has lefse, lutefisk, pinnekjott, etc. every Christmas. Love it.

Eating at 2:00. Heading to Indy to watch Steelers/Colts with the whole fam that evening. I prepare my usual, Turkey, dressing, scalloped potatoes and the rest. I do all the cooking, minus the pumpkin roll that the youngest prepares. However, I do no cleanup. Terrific trade.

Thank you for reminding me to look forward to this!