So, I'm sitting in the driver license testing room the other day, and wow

BigVMan23

I was there to take 2 required written tests so I can get my CDL to drive a new church bus we recently got. Not sure how other testing areas in different counties are set up, but basically where I am the test proctor administers any eye test you may have to take (I had to take one), ask some questions, and gives you the appropriate test. He's in the front of the room about 6 feet away from the test taking table, and you can't wispier without it being heard...not that he even tried, he was very loud anyway.

At least 3 different tests were being taken while I was there...my CDL tests, several kids trying to get their license, and a guy getting his motorcycle license.

So young man comes in, gets his test (testing for first drivers license), guy says something like "good luck, maybe you will pass this time". Kid (I say kid, he looked to possibly be in his early 20's) sits down and finishes his test right before I finish with mine. Proctor runs it through the scanner..."well you failed again...but hey, at least it's better than last time, you only missed 9 this time...that's better than 17 you missed last time".:eek::scared:

First of all, I felt kind of embarrassed for him with several of us sitting in there and the proctor saying what he did. Not that he did it to try to embarrass him, he just blurted out comments with every test taker. Secondly, but more importantly, I kinda wondered...man, should that guy be getting a license in the first place?

I have said this before, and I said it again in another thread today...I think more people than not shouldn't have a license. I think more than not don't know the rules of the road and don't have the physical/mental skills/abilities to capably drive on a routine basis. Now, maybe the number isn't 50+%, but I would argue it's a whole whole lot that shouldn't have a license and the % would be significant. Burning everyone's license from Ohio would be a pretty good start.:thumb:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched an Indiana lady hit a guy on a motorcycle yesterday. He was in the turn lane at a red light. She must have decided to turn as well, coming from a dead stop in the lane beside the bike. No one was hurt but that guy was ticked off as he well should have been.
Coulda just stopped there.:lol2:

Perhaps I see more of this because I'm in Covington, but I'm constantly seeing people fudge the rules of the road all for the sake of them to not be inconvenienced.

One dangerous illegal maneuver after another either by the same motorist, and many others, one after the other in succession.

People cutting others off, turning left from the right hand lane, U-Turns right in the middle of the intersection, blowing stop sign after stop sign, blowing lights, and the list goes on...

I can leave home and ordinarily 10 minutes later I can attest to having seen 10 or more violations committed that I'm forever mumbling to myself time and again, "Yeah, do whatever you want buddy, the road is all yours". or "Does anybody follow the rules of the road anymore?"

For as long as I can remember there's always been those who break the rules of the road, but it seems to be becoming more and more frequent and troubling, so much that people are ignoring ordinary rules that in the past you just wouldn't expect them break, but now it seems more and more it's becoming like roadway anarchy.

Add this to the fact that people are driving and texting or doing heroin or both, the roads truly don't feel safe anymore.

Do you guys know how many people are driving that dont have a valid license. Way more than you think.

I certainly do. Because for over 40 years, we owned a business that towed vehicles for law enforcement. Not only do they not have a license, a lot are operating the vehicle impaired in some manner. For years Papaw went out on wrecker calls and I was not that concerned. But in the past 10 years when he would go out I walked and worried, he has escaped from drivers who are doing everything but driving, even though he's is parked there in a large vehicle with lights flashing. One idiot decided he did not want to wait for the road to open, so he tried to drive through the cable- his father was not real proud of that vehicle that looked like it was driven through a barbed wire fence. And he wasn't about to break that cable so he still had to wait. I don't remember if the law officer wrote a ticket or not but he was furious. There are some people who should not drive.

I was there to take 2 required written tests so I can get my CDL to drive a new church bus we recently got. Not sure how other testing areas in different counties are set up, but basically where I am the test proctor administers any eye test you may have to take (I had to take one), ask some questions, and gives you the appropriate test. He's in the front of the room about 6 feet away from the test taking table, and you can't wispier without it being heard...not that he even tried, he was very loud anyway.

At least 3 different tests were being taken while I was there...my CDL tests, several kids trying to get their license, and a guy getting his motorcycle license.

So young man comes in, gets his test (testing for first drivers license), guy says something like "good luck, maybe you will pass this time". Kid (I say kid, he looked to possibly be in his early 20's) sits down and finishes his test right before I finish with mine. Proctor runs it through the scanner..."well you failed again...but hey, at least it's better than last time, you only missed 9 this time...that's better than 17 you missed last time".:eek::scared:

First of all, I felt kind of embarrassed for him with several of us sitting in there and the proctor saying what he did. Not that he did it to try to embarrass him, he just blurted out comments with every test taker. Secondly, but more importantly, I kinda wondered...man, should that guy be getting a license in the first place?

I have said this before, and I said it again in another thread today...I think more people than not shouldn't have a license. I think more than not don't know the rules of the road and don't have the physical/mental skills/abilities to capably drive on a routine basis. Now, maybe the number isn't 50+%, but I would argue it's a whole whole lot that shouldn't have a license and the % would be significant. Burning everyone's license from Ohio would be a pretty good start.:thumb:

Their method of informing test scores is insensitive and rude and callous. (Guess there's no sensitivity training for this job. :sarcastic: )

If you ever want strong evidence about how little drivers know the rules of the road, drive through several stoplights that have been felled by weather. Half the people have no idea how to handle the situation.

You should see intersection of Ky18 and Houston Rd when this happens :scared: Gets even more scarier when it happens about 4:30/5:00pm.

Their method of informing test scores is insensitive and rude and callous. (Guess there's no sensitivity training for this job. :sarcastic: )

Anderson and Mercer Counties are set up the exact same way. I'm quite sure others are as well. I am one who thinks embarrassment can be a good thing at times and can help motivate. But the whole way the room is set up is not conducive to good test taking. People are coming in and out, there is no one set specific time, come in between 8:30 and 10:30. The guy is up there giving eye tests talking loudly, talking about the test a student just took...he's loud anyway...it's annoying trying to take a test. It's not a good setup.