So, I'm sitting in the driver license testing room the other day, and wow

BigVMan23

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for what the length of this post will be. Could've easily gone in the Rants thread, but figured it was timely to put it here. Coming home from ball practice last night, was just a little past the Richwood exit on 1-75 (heading south). It's dark, probably around 8:45 or so, and a decent amount of traffic on the road for that time of the day. We are in the second lane from the left, and have just cleared that little hill and are heading down to where I-71 splits off. In my rear view mirror I can see a pair of headlights coming up on me...fast.

I immediately start looking for places to "go", as I have no idea what's going on with the guy behind me. He yanks it into the lane to the right of us. Turns out it's a semi. Guy is laying on the jake brake for all it's worth. Even with it on, he still goes right by us. He ends up right on the bumper of another semi. There may have been 4 or 5 feet between them, tops.

I told my son, they're probably going to wreck, which would've been bad enough as it was, but there was another semi in front of me. I could envision some mighty big dominos about to fall, and didn't like where I was, so I bailed over into the high speed lane as soon as I could (had to wait about 2-3 seconds for another car to clear me). Next thing I know, is that speeding jackwagon cuts his semi to the left and is now tailgating the semi that had been in front of me just moments ago. Margin between them? Maybe less than before. This whole time we hear nothing by the jake brake.

Now, I'm really worried. I don't want to just suddenly slow down, as I can see traffic in my lane behind me. But, I don't want to steer into the burm area at 70mph either. So, I tell my son to "hold on", and downshift into fourth and ramp the rpms up, and try to get the heck out of there. We get by him just after we hit the hill leading down to the Walton exit. I lay on the horn as we go by him. Next thing I know, is he's behind us, again!

As soon as we can clear the semi in the middle lane, I'm over. And would've gotten over further, but there were people slowing down to get off the Walton exit. (I would've gotten off there too, if I could have, but just didn't have the time). Guy blows past us. At that time, I tell my son to look for a company name on the semi (it was hauling a loaded flatbed trailer). He gets it, and the guy is gone. Best I can tell he was doing 85-90mph.

So, now, if for nothing else than to release some anger, I'm going to write an email to the company. Guy should have his CDL taken. Nobody should be allowed on the road doing what he was doing, in the vehicle that he was in. :rage:

Sorry for what the length of this post will be. Could've easily gone in the Rants thread, but figured it was timely to put it here. Coming home from ball practice last night, was just a little past the Richwood exit on 1-75 (heading south). It's dark, probably around 8:45 or so, and a decent amount of traffic on the road for that time of the day. We are in the second lane from the left, and have just cleared that little hill and are heading down to where I-71 splits off. In my rear view mirror I can see a pair of headlights coming up on me...fast.

I immediately start looking for places to "go", as I have no idea what's going on with the guy behind me. He yanks it into the lane to the right of us. Turns out it's a semi. Guy is laying on the jake brake for all it's worth. Even with it on, he still goes right by us. He ends up right on the bumper of another semi. There may have been 4 or 5 feet between them, tops.

I told my son, they're probably going to wreck, which would've been bad enough as it was, but there was another semi in front of me. I could envision some mighty big dominos about to fall, and didn't like where I was, so I bailed over into the high speed lane as soon as I could (had to wait about 2-3 seconds for another car to clear me). Next thing I know, is that speeding jackwagon cuts his semi to the left and is now tailgating the semi that had been in front of me just moments ago. Margin between them? Maybe less than before. This whole time we hear nothing by the jake brake.

Now, I'm really worried. I don't want to just suddenly slow down, as I can see traffic in my lane behind me. But, I don't want to steer into the burm area at 70mph either. So, I tell my son to "hold on", and downshift into fourth and ramp the rpms up, and try to get the heck out of there. We get by him just after we hit the hill leading down to the Walton exit. I lay on the horn as we go by him. Next thing I know, is he's behind us, again!

As soon as we can clear the semi in the middle lane, I'm over. And would've gotten over further, but there were people slowing down to get off the Walton exit. (I would've gotten off there too, if I could have, but just didn't have the time). Guy blows past us. At that time, I tell my son to look for a company name on the semi (it was hauling a loaded flatbed trailer). He gets it, and the guy is gone. Best I can tell he was doing 85-90mph.

So, now, if for nothing else than to release some anger, I'm going to write an email to the company. Guy should have his CDL taken. Nobody should be allowed on the road doing what he was doing, in the vehicle that he was in. :rage:

Had a similar experience several years ago. I called 911 to report him as I really expected an accident. I also mailed a letter to the company. Hope something came of it but I doubt it.

These threads always make me chuckle.

You guys that are complaining about how bad drivers are (and I agree to an extent) never break any rules of the road, do ya? :rolleyes:

I believe...let me rephrase that...there IS a difference between someone "breaking the rules on the road" on occasion (depending on what they are of course) and someone that has no idea what the rules of the road are or how to mentally or can't physically drive a vehicle adequately.

For instance, we had a bball scrimmage in Richmond last night and I was doing about 72-73 mph on the way back. Technically I was breaking the speed limit. But I wasn't weaving lanes, tailgating, driving aggressively, slow in the left lane, driving 25 feet off the hood of my car, etc.

Now, I have been driving for 44 plus years now, and I definitely have made mistakes...anyone who tells you otherwise would be lying. But I do have the physical ability, mental acuity and perception skills to adequately drive a vehicle. There are a lot of people (IMO) that don't possess all of these. And others that may possess the skills, but don't care, making them dangerous drivers as well. The truck driver that @CincySportsFan describes in his post above probably falls into this category.

Had a similar experience several years ago. I called 911 to report him as I really expected an accident. I also mailed a letter to the company. Hope something came of it but I doubt it.

I sent off my email to the company yesterday. I'm not holding my breath on getting a reply. I told them they need to consider themselves very lucky. Things could've gotten very bad, very quickly.