University Requiring All Freshmen to Wear FitBits

MJAlltheWay24

Cool that all students are given a FitBit I guess. Not so cool that they are required to get 10,000 steps in a day and results are provided to Professors.

It doesn't say it in the article, but on Fox this morning, they said that the students would be graded on their performance in a physical educations class.

Got mixed feelings on this one.

Oral Roberts University requires freshmen to wear Fitbit, track 10K steps per day - Washington Times

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with it.

The students that don't really want to use it will find a way to manipulate it. You can shake a Fitbit and get steps.

My friend has one and had it on when we were duck hunting. The outboard motor shook his hand when we were driving the boat and it read he took 1800 steps and he never left the boat.

I like the theory. But I think there are some potential issues with how they are going about doing this. The article doesn't go into much detail on the program specifics. But there are ways to be physically active other than taking steps. Also, a "heart beats per minute" standard. If that is generalized then very poor execution as this is something that can vary tremendously per person.

I don't have a problem with it, hopefully there is some sort of allowance or accommodation for any student that has a disability. Looking back on my college years I don't think that getting 10,000 steps per day would really be much of a challenge. (Assuming you went to class). Maybe on the weekends if I was really hungover, but otherwise it is probably something that most students would attain without even really trying.

My friend has one and had it on when we were duck hunting. The outboard motor shook his hand when we were driving the boat and it read he took 1800 steps and he never left the boat.

Makes it easier for the guys to use this tool to their advantage.