• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How? Wow.

By winning THE league, being the MVP.

There are two ways.

NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE GIVEN A TROPHY JUST FOR PLAYING.

There is no League to win. They are learning how to play the game. Score is not kept. There is no MVP. Since no score is kept I guess each kid could claim that they "won" the league and if they learned something I guess they are "MVP".

The object at that age for any sport is to learn how to participate and how to play the game correctly as much as possible.

How? Wow.

By winning THE league, being the MVP.

There are two ways.

NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE GIVEN A TROPHY JUST FOR PLAYING.

Moronic response.

You don't promote championships as "why" you play at that young of an age.

The above response is symbolic of the worst of adults ruining youth sports.

At 6 they had no clue. Same to me as buying all of them a treat after the game or having snacks and stuff, just done after the season.

My guess is the kids really did not equate a trophy to something "earned", whatever that means. Again, they are 6. They would have rather had an ice cream and drink anyway.

Effort equates to success and meaningful growth or learning, that's more important in the long run than kicking someone's butt at all costs or chest pumping you are the best.

I never gave any trophies/awards as a coach to anyone but all when we accomplished team goals. I found giving individual awards caused more unnecessary grief with players and parents than almost anything. Never had one complaint from anyone when team awards were achieved through reaching pre-established goals.

Really, I have no problem with Harrison raising his kids the way he sees fit. This surely isn't awful,in fact, it is fine IMO. But he also shouldn't be up for sainthood or Parent-of the -Year as some want to do with this act on a national level.

Again, we give varsity letters to seniors whether they played or not, sometimes on teams that don't cut. We give gold watches to the guy at the factory who lasts 20 years, and just shows up every day and does his job. The kid who graduates last in his class still gets a diploma. Our society is filled with participation trophies and awards. And again, everyone appreciates a little pat on the back every now and then. And if these awards keep kids involved in sports or other activities, I see no harm. Kids recognize which trophies mean more than others.

I've asked a few times and I'll ask you: what does "achieving something" look like at age 6 or 7?

As someone that's not 6 or 7 currently and only was once I couldn't say for certain. It's the fact that folks continue to coddle and feed a self worth for trying or much less participating that doesn't sit well with me.

If it only happened at age 6 or 7 I'd be ok with it. That's fine let's build up some self esteem. However there are kids and parents that never really stop having these expectations. Well Joey was their so he should be rewarded. That some how existing, needs a reward.

There is no League to win. They are learning how to play the game. Score is not kept. There is no MVP. Since no score is kept I guess each kid could claim that they "won" the league and if they learned something I guess they are "MVP".

The object at that age for any sport is to learn how to participate and how to play the game correctly as much as possible.

Playing and not keeping score is one of those stupid things parents/adults have made up along the way.

I.M.O this is so stupid and sad.

Just another thing that is killing youth sports.

As someone that's not 6 or 7 currently and only was once I couldn't say for certain. It's the fact that folks continue to coddle and feed a self worth for trying or much less participating that doesn't sit well with me.

If it only happened at age 6 or 7 I'd be ok with it. That's fine let's build up some self esteem. However there are kids and parents that never really stop having these expectations. Well Joey was their so he should be rewarded. That some how existing, needs a reward.

Have you seen examples of high school kids getting "participation trophies?" I haven't. I think this whole issue is overblown.

Have you seen examples of high school kids getting "participation trophies?" I haven't. I think this whole issue is overblown.

Every kid I know at our high school that plays a sport gets a certificate of participation. And every one of them recognizes it for what it is.

I've seen first hand people acting like their child is a good kid and tries their best and should be rewarded for it. All while the kid could care less but knows mom and dad will support them regardless and expect society to do the same. That I have seen.

Question for you Clyde, would it be over blown if you'd seen trophies for such in HS?

I've seen first hand people acting like their child is a good kid and tries their best and should be rewarded for it. All while the kid could care less but knows mom and dad will support them regardless and expect society to do the same. That I have seen.

Question for you Clyde, would it be over blown if you'd seen trophies for such in HS?

Yes, unless the kids are too stupid to realize everyone gets one. I give kids more credit than that.