James Harrison has no time for his kids' participation trophies

nkypete

They'll fail and learn plenty. Kids are smarter than they're given credit for. I was on a league champion team in little league. I played occasionally in right and batted last. I received a trophy for being on the team but had no illusions about my contributions to the victories.

Nothing about a participation award for a six year old is rendering him incapable of dealing with failure or ruining the future of America.

Well I disagree 100%. Awarding results that don't deserve awarding breeds bad habits. By allowing someone to fully feel the pain 9f failure builds character and motivation.

If your team won a title getting a trophy for that is completely different from handing trophies out for last place.

We give out rings in HS , College and Pros to all people on the championship team. Everyone contributes in a team sport in some fashion. That is an apples to oranges comparison.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I disagree 100%. Awarding results that don't deserve awarding breeds bad habits. By allowing someone to fully feel the pain 9f failure builds character and motivation.

If your team won a title getting a trophy for that is completely different from handing trophies out for last place.

We give out rings in HS , College and Pros to all people on the championship team. Everyone contributes in a team sport in some fashion. That is an apples to oranges comparison.

Forgive me, that wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was just an anecdote from my own life attempting to demonstrate that kids are pretty good at understanding the reasons awards are given or not given. I got a trophy. I did almost nothing to earn it. My presence on the team got me one anyway. It didn't make believe that I was good at baseball or that I deserved to play on winning teams or that I was a natural winner.

James Harrison took a trophy away from a six year old. I remain less than impressed. Regardless of how I might feel about participation awards, I certainly don't feel it's praiseworthy.

Forgive me, that wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was just an anecdote from my own life attempting to demonstrate that kids are pretty good at understanding the reasons awards are given or not given. I got a trophy. I did almost nothing to earn it. My presence on the team got me one anyway. It didn't make believe that I was good at baseball or that I deserved to play on winning teams or that I was a natural winner.

James Harrison took a trophy away from a six year old. I remain less than impressed. Regardless of how I might feel about participation awards, I certainly don't feel it's praiseworthy.

He's teaching his kid a life lesson. I don't think it's a huge deal that the media needed to cover. But I respect it.

I believe in performance based awards or evaluations on almost all levels.

My son and daughter have tons of participation awards. Given the number of kids whose parents allowed them to quit when the going got rough, or the kid didn't get playing time, I'm thrilled my kids stayed committed to their various teams until the end. And believe me, there were times when staying on a team was harder than you can possibly imagine for them. Give the kids credit for staying with it. A lot of kids drop out.

I think some posters are hung up on the word "trophy." A trophy at that level does not signify any significant achievement. I thought most people recognized that. But I guess not. These trophies are akin to team photos from the olden days. They don't really mean anything. In this context I don't see any harm in passing them out.

I couldn't agree with him more. What's funny is people these days want everything handed to them yet NEVER want to take responsibility for their own actions. It's a culture and Harrison called it out. Props to him for doing so.

Once again how could the 6 year old "earn" a trophy? They probably do not keep score. They probably do not have real referees. They probably play every kid on the team equally. They don't keep league standings. If one team does not have enough players they probably borrow kids from another team.

So given all that and assuming that the kid showed up for practice and participated in practice and the games ......what is wrong with him getting recognition that may get him excited to play more seasons or more sports?

Once again how could the 6 year old "earn" a trophy? They probably do not keep score. They probably do not have real referees. They probably play every kid on the team equally. They don't keep league standings. If one team does not have enough players they probably borrow kids from another team.

So given all that and assuming that the kid showed up for practice and participated in practice and the games ......what is wrong with him getting recognition that may get him excited to play more seasons or more sports?

It's a culture. A trophy to a young child means you achieved something, that you've somehow earned that item. So by glorifying doing nothing at such an early age and then continuing to do so you're setting a precedent that becomes an expectation.

Not every child will become a part of that culture but some will and it's easily avoidable. Stop handing out a trophy for being on a team or a part of something. The uniform or team photo should suffice.

Just goes to show adults/parents care FAR, FAR more about something ultimately meaningless and trivial that happens in their child's life.

I'd love to see one example of a child that placed any long term self worth on a participation trophy. They care for 2 minutes, and move on to whatever happens next in life. The parents? Not so much...

It's a culture. A trophy to a young child means you achieved something, that you've somehow earned that item. So by glorifying doing nothing at such an early age and then continuing to do so you're setting a precedent that becomes an expectation.

Not every child will become a part of that culture but some will and it's easily avoidable. Stop handing out a trophy for being on a team or a part of something. The uniform or team photo should suffice.

Saw a hundred 4, 5 and 6 year olds get one in July. They cared far more about going to the playground while their parents made them wait their turn for the trophy...

I've asked a few times and I'll ask you: what does "achieving something" look like at age 6 or 7?