James Harrison has no time for his kids' participation trophies

nkypete

I've said it before. A trophy is no different than a certificate or anything else that is and has been given out since the dawn of youth sports leagues. Remember, that varsity letter that so many people are fond of, is earned strictly by participation, not by how much a team won. There is no harm in recognizing someone's effort and dedication to finishing something they committed to. Participation awards are nothing new.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before. A trophy is no different than a certificate or anything else that is and has been given out since the dawn of youth sports leagues. Remember, that varsity letter that so many people are fond of, is earned strictly by participation, not by how much a team won. There is no harm in recognizing someone's effort and dedication to finishing something they committed to. Participation awards are nothing new.

Not sure when or where you went to school, but I earned all mine by being able to be actually on the varsity team...individual committment.

I never got a trophy or certificate for kids sports, don't believe in them...earn it or figure out why life isn't fair.

I think people are overvaluing the worth of a trophy, participatory or otherwise. It's one of those "back in my day..." or "kids today..." canards that doesn't really mean anything.

I remember getting trophies at the end of the season for most pre-high school teams. It was usually a cheap piece of plastic with a crummy hologram glued to it and I don't remember ever giving them a thought during the season or after the banquet. By the time I was in high school they were all piled in a box in a basement somewhere (right alongside the more meaningful ones for winning tournaments or leagues, etc.).

By the way some people tell it, I should have been ELATED and I should have quit trying because I knew I would get a PARTICIPATION TROPHY whether I was any good or not and then I would go out into the REAL WORLD and ruin the country while I waited on my participation award for life. I'm sorry to say, but that's not how it happened. Give the kids a trophy, a plaque, a shirt, or a cake to commemorate their season, it doesn't matter.

I think people are overvaluing the worth of a trophy, participatory or otherwise. It's one of those "back in my day..." or "kids today..." canards that doesn't really mean anything.

I remember getting trophies at the end of the season for most pre-high school teams. It was usually a cheap piece of plastic with a crummy hologram glued to it and I don't remember ever giving them a thought during the season or after the banquet. By the time I was in high school they were all piled in a box in a basement somewhere (right alongside the more meaningful ones for winning tournaments or leagues, etc.).

By the way some people tell it, I should have been ELATED and I should have quit trying because I knew I would get a PARTICIPATION TROPHY whether I was any good or not and then I would go out into the REAL WORLD and ruin the country while I waited on my participation award for life. I'm sorry to say, but that's not how it happened. Give the kids a trophy, a plaque, a shirt, or a cake to commemorate their season, it doesn't matter.

This is what I've been trying to say, but haven't been able to articulate it as well. These trophies and awards aren't ruining kids lives, making them "soft" (another term I hate) or turning them into horrible adults. These awards exist at every level, in every organization, in every area, and have for as long as I can remember...(at least 40 years)

This is what I've been trying to say, but haven't been able to articulate it as well. These trophies and awards aren't ruining kids lives, making them "soft" (another term I hate) or turning them into horrible adults. These awards exist at every level, in every organization, in every area, and have for as long as I can remember...(at least 40 years)

Was talking to a friend of mine about this at the courthouse today. Remembers getting a youth football participation award for playing in a league in Florida in 1983. I'm sure they go back even further than that.

Was talking to a friend of mine about this at the courthouse today. Remembers getting a youth football participation award for playing in a league in Florida in 1983. I'm sure they go back even further than that.

Yep. I got these awards for little league baseball in the late 70's. I got participation awards for school based activities in the 70's and 80's as well. I don't know when it began, but I know it's been going on for at least 2 generations, and probably longer.

Kids know the difference between a participation award and an achievement award. I asked a friend in elementary school what trophy he got at the football banquet and he said "1st Year Award". Many teammates received that same one. Even then I remember thinking what a meaningless award. I didn't go on to tell him what my trophy said. He already knew and I could tell he was a bit embarrassed when I asked him what his award was. There were three awards that were coveted--Rookie of the Year, Hardest Hitter, Most Valuable Player.

I think Harrison has a point. Of course, that can be over-played, as well.

The next time I see a kid packing around his participation trophy every or displaying it in a trophy case will be the first. Who cares if kids get them or not. If a kid gets some over inflated sense of self worth and feels the world owes them something because they got a $1.50 piece of plastic crap that said good job on it when they were 10 then that's on the parents. Let little Billy or Sally have their prize and just make sure they understand what it is. My 6 year old has 3 from basketball and 3 from baseball (I think another one from Soccer). He hasn't even looked at them since the day he got them. Most at that age don't even know who won the game when it's over much less who won the championship for the whole season.

The only participation award I ever got was instructional basketball K-2. I can live with those but not a fan.

Strong believer in tough love. Failing is life's greatest lesson.

The only participation award I ever got was instructional basketball K-2. I can live with those but not a fan.

Strong believer in tough love. Failing is life's greatest lesson.

They'll fail and learn plenty. Kids are smarter than they're given credit for. I was on a league champion team in little league. I played occasionally in right and batted last. I received a trophy for being on the team but had no illusions about my contributions to the victories.

Nothing about a participation award for a six year old is rendering him incapable of dealing with failure or ruining the future of America.

A

They'll fail and learn plenty. Kids are smarter than they're given credit for. I was on a league champion team in little league. I played occasionally in right and batted last. I received a trophy for being on the team but had no illusions about my contributions to the victories.

Nothing about a participation award for a six year old is rendering him incapable of dealing with failure or ruining the future of America.

It's the lessons learned while practicing and participating in a sport that mean the most. Not wins, championships, or who played the most/was the best player. I think we all recognize that not everyone wins all the time. In fact, I'd say you experience more failures. Coming back and trying again is what's important. If we only paid attention to the winners, most of the world would be ignored.