James Harrison has no time for his kids' participation trophies

nkypete

I would strongly disagree that awarding a player on a championship team is the same as awarding players on every team that didn't win a championship. Each player contributes to a championship team differently, whether that be through scout team, morale, guidance etc. Therefore, i have no problem with every player on a championship team getting an award.

Thank you. You and LRCW helped make my point. You don't have to be the star player to contribute and ,thus, be recognized for your effort.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how I proved your point? Maybe this is on me, and I need to take a lap, but it seems like you wouldn't have a problem with rewarding every team equally, regardless of winning a championship or not.

If Harrison's kids were on a championship team, then I do not agree with him taking the award away. However, if they didn't win anything, then what did they earn? Why did they get a trophy. To me its similar to the ridiculousness of Indiana Bball team cutting down the nets after a loss.

I'm not sure how I proved your point? Maybe this is on me, and I need to take a lap, but it seems like you wouldn't have a problem with rewarding every team equally, regardless of winning a championship or not.

If Harrison's kids were on a championship team, then I do not agree with him taking the award away. However, if they didn't win anything, then what did they earn? Why did they get a trophy. To me its similar to the ridiculousness of Indiana Bball team cutting down the nets after a loss.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. A lot of schools will put up a banner for participating in a NCAA Tournament. Some schools will only put up banners for a Sweet 16 appearance or beyond, and then you have schools like Kentucky who will only put up banners if they reach the Final Four or win it all.

Where I would say "take a lap" is your belief that only kids on championship teams should be rewarded despite their lack of scoring TDs. You correctly made the point that every kid on A team has the chance to help the greater good.

Is a championship the only goal and the only result that should be rewarded in youth sports? Can we not recognize the efforts of every kid on the .500 team like you say exist on a championship team? Especially if the goal at the younger level is to encourage them to keep participating?

El Flaco ‏@bomani_jones 13m13 minutes ago

on the real, i’d love to know how successful all these anti-trophy people are. since those *hard* lessons got them so far.

El Flaco ‏@bomani_jones 11m11 minutes ago

i also wonder how many anti-trophy people consistently lie to their kids about how smart they are.

El Flaco ‏@bomani_jones 11m11 minutes ago

cuz i’ve tried to teach college freshman at a few places. sports trophies weren’t their problems. i’m sure of that.

I don't mean it to sound back-handed, but one of your best posts ever and it was simply a collection of someone else's posts. :thumb:

I assume that first part was in response to my question.

It's the same to me if your argument is a kid got something that he didn't do enough to earn. That's the argument being made by Harrison et al. The slow, weak sophomores on the state championship team didn't do anything to win games, right?

Your second point supports my argument and others who say it doesn't have a negative impact on kids or society. Kids know.

BINGO!

While I think James lacks any tact in dealing with this issue and likes his hard persona, underneath it all I think he's trying to make sure his kids understand it takes hard work to achieve a goal, similar to his path I'd assume. Again, trying to get inside that rock head is no easy task, but just speculating. His method I may not agree with, but his message beyond that isn't such a bad one. Just my thoughts.

This is a good point. I don't agree with the method either....it seems a little over the top and a bit like grandstanding. But the message is important, and as long as it is delivered in conjunction with those trophies, kids will understand what's really important.

In my opinion, the hard work, effort and dedication, are more important than winning the championship. Without those, it's going to be impossible to ever experience the winning part. That's why I have no issue in recognizing a kid for his/her efforts.

So I saw a tweet from a comedian earlier today. Usually when comedians touch on current events or politics I laugh on the surface, but go on without thinking too much about the subject since the point isn't to dissect it, but to have momentary enjoyment.

With this one, I can't help but think that it really puts this into perspective for those who somehow have gotten worked up about this. I don't remember the exact quote or who tweeted it, but the gist of it is how many people upset about participation trophies make sure to get their ceremonial t-shirts when running a 5k? What about the adults who have 13.1 or 26.2 stickers on their cars?