Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

Give us the details. What are the ACT, SAT and graduation rates at the schools you list? While you are at it, pull the ACT, SAT and graduation rates for Covington Latin, Notre Dame and Villa Madonna also.

Truthfully would like to see those. Correct me if I am wrong but only public schools have to release their scores, correct? What are the parochial scores?

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Truthfully would like to see those. Correct me if I am wrong but only public schools have to release their scores, correct? What are the parochial scores?

2014 Class average at St Henry 27.2

2013 Class average at St Henry 26.1

If all of the numbers flying around are true, those scores are amazing. It wasn't long ago that 26/27 were darn good scores and equated to scholarship money. Now for many high schools, it seems they're about average.

I found this funny. CCH has owned the region but NCC has 10 more wins?

Also, mex starts the thread talking dynasty and CCH doesn't even have the best record in the region over the past couple years.

I know mex is looking ahead but it seems a bit premature when you look at those records.

Those records can be deceiving.

Newcath is going to have more region wins for the simple fact that they play more 9th region games each year because of the 9th region All A tourney. Being a fan of a "small" school, you should know that.

I'm sure the Breds would take two more region final appearances, a region championship, and a KHSAA sweet 16 state championship over those 10 more wins resulting from the 9th region All A tourney. You also left out that Newcath's current senior class has never beaten Covcath at the varsity level. 3 of their 4 region losses are to the Colonels. (Trust me, I'm a big fan of the Breds, Coach Dawn, and those kids, so hope people don't take this post as me bashing them in any way)

Covcath plays the 9th region games they HAVE to play (Division I and district) and that's it. Their schedule is consistently one of the tops in the state.

Do the parochial schools use the ACT as a measurement for comparison? I know the public schools have every student take the test as a junior and the test results of every student in the class are used to get the average score. This is done statewide. Is that how it works in parochial schools? How do the parochial schools track school performance?

Someone asked why go to Covington Catholic if you are going to be sweezed out of basketball? How about the # 1 education in Northern Kentucky. No offense to HHS, BW, WV but Covington Catholic is better. Look at the ACT, SAT, and graduation rate. Let's not forget these are STUDENT athletes.

This is a flawed and arrogant statement. While I have sent my kids to Catholic school, I always say a school is only as good as the parents. Most of the schools you mention are great academically, in some cases offering more programs than CCH. You can put HHS and BW National Merit scholars vs CCH anytime. Heck, Pendery's daughter won a scholarship last year, not semi-finalist. Frankly, academics are high on the list but brotherhood and athletics are probably higher for the CCH kids and more further your argument.

Lots of talk about 1. Why do freshman not go to another school and 2. Which schools have better ACT scores than CCH?

1. You guys remember being 15 years old. Most of these kids go where their brothers and fathers went or where their friends are going. As was said, basketball is not always the ONLY reason.

2. CovCath is a great school. So is Beechwood, St. Henry, CovLatin, Villa, Highlands, etc. All of the schools have something in addition to competitive academics to offer (Sports, traditions, clubs, student organizations, etc.), which is probably what draws kids more than ACT scores.

This is exactly the type of information Mexi was looking for when he started the thread. :clap:

You are nuts.

I will give a great example.......The Dean of the University of Kentucky Law School was speaking to UK juniors and seniors about applying to UK School of Law and how important it was to get good experience by the way of a job. The Dean went on to say how important a resume is in the process. A young man raised his hand and asked about listing our a High School on a resume and she said "No need to list a high school unless you went to Louisville St. Xavier, Covington Catholic, or Notre Dame,

Simply put these school built young men and women of high character and high ability to succeed in life. These High Schools educate young men and women spiritually, academically, physically, and socially.

In fairness they do not take trouble makers and drop out rates are basically non existent. I will be happy to compare academic success (and life long success) of our graduates with any other school in the Commonwealth. Is that being overly flattering, no its the fact.

If I had to sent my son to a public school, I would work hard to get him to HHS, BWHS, or WVHS in Northern Kentucky.