Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

Funny that this was brought up...a Covcath assistant and I were just talking about this a few days ago.

My take:

Covcath has OWNED the 9th region the last 2 1/2 years, outside of Holmes. Take away the two Holmes losses Beetle's sophomore year and the loss last year in the district championship and Covcath has just one loss in the 9th region to a team not named Holmes...Cooper on February 5th, 2013.

During that stretch:

Covcath 39-4 v 9th Region Opponents (3 losses to Holmes, 1 to Cooper)

Newcath 49-4 v 9th Region Opponents (3 losses to Covcath, 1 v Holmes)

Holmes 42-6 v 9th Region Opponents (4 losses to Covcath, 2 v Newcath)

It's not just the varsity level, though, that Covcath has dominated NKY. Their JV team has consistently been top 2 or 3, along with their freshman teams as well, with this year's team being undefeated.

While it's going to be tough for Covcath to match what Holmes did from 04/05 to 09/10 (5 region final appearances, 4 region championships, Final 4, back to back state championship appearances and a state title), if they win region this year, I see no reason why they can't three-peat next year with what they have coming up and will return along with taking region again CVH senior year.

The competition next year:

Holmes will likely be their toughest competition with the return of seniors McClendon, Mullins, Moore, Englemon, Daniels, and Arnold to go along with stud soph Jaiden Greene and arguably the best frosh in NKY in Raavai Commodore. I've also heard rumors one of the top sophomores in NKY could end up at Holmes next year. (All speculation right now...I should know more after this season ends)

Newcath returns Weyer, Andreson twins, Ludwig, and soph Moeves, to go along with soph to be Hall and Pangallo, but it will be tough for them to replace Z Pangallo, McDonald, and G Moeves. Will still be a solid team but not what they've been these past few years.

Cooper returns, IMO, one of the top 2 trio of guards in McNeil, Hendrix, and Kunkel but like Newcath will be hit hard by graduation with loss of Hathorn, Hawkins, Liechty, and Dickerson.

Dixie obviouly loses A LOT in Rabe, Schreck, Niehaus, Isbel, Bolin, and Hedger.

Conner returns a solid trio of guards in Scott, Padgett, and Hemmerich but won't have the size to seriously threaten the Colonels.

The following year, VonHandorf's senior year, the current frosh will be juniors and I don't see that group losing up here.

I told the Covcath assistant if CCH wins region this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they won 4, 5 or even 6 straight region championships. The 8th and 9th grade classes are arguably the deepest and most talented classes to ever come through. (Time will tell...kids develop at different ages, which could be a reason for their domination right now)

Obviously a lot can happen over the next 4 years, but assuming these kids continue to develop and play at a high level, Covcath is going to be extremely tough to handle up here.

Should be a lot of fun to watch the progression of all the other teams and see if they catch up to the Colonels by the time their young kids (8th/9th grade) are juniors and seniors.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll add Mark Schult, Ben Heppler, Parker Keller.

I look at it as the coach develops good TEAMS. Good PLAYERS are developed by their own individual desires in combination with tools provided by good coaches.

Agreed. Covcath didn't have the most individual talent last year, and they don't have the most individual talent this year..IMO, of course.

But what they do have is a coaching staff that not only knows the game, but are also great motivators. I think some underestimate how dangerous a confident player can be at the high school level if they have a work ethic. Covcath wins on being blue collar players that simply play harder than the competition and work together well as a team. The coaching staff has instilled that no one player is bigger than the team or "program."

MO is that this is way too early for this type of talk. The Holmes 07-10 teams were consistently dominant and I mean simply getting back down to State with a Semi-final loss, a Finals loss, and subsequently a Championship. Don't get me wrong, CCH is HOT!!! but I believe they have some work to do. At least win the region twice in a row before starting a thread like this. Again, they are the team to beat no doubt but as it was said earlier there are 2-3, maybe even 4, teams that will be able to say "not so fast" before just handing them the regional title. Just my 2 cents.

Greatest run ever? They have one it 1 time in a row so far.

Go back to Highlands winning the 9th region in 1997,1998,1999,and 2001.

Holmes winning the region in 76,77,78,(79runnerup),and 80.

CCH winning in 67,68,69,and 70.

Current CCH has a chance, sure, but these things run in cycles.

The dynasty talk and adoration of the coaching staff will end as soon as they don't win the region! Then the sky will fall and everyone will wonder why they lost with all that talent in the building. Just ask any other coach past or present that has dealt with it in the past at Cov Cath.

Good lord Debbie Downer here.

CCH winning in 67,68,69,and 70.

Current CCH has a chance, sure, but these things run in cycles.

Don't forget about Holmes mid 2000 run:

04/05- Region Champs

06/07- Region Champs, Lost in State Semi's

07/08- Region Champs- Lost in State Championsip

08/09- Region Champs- State Champs

To answer your question: No (not yet at least.)

As has been mentioned, they need to win AT LEAST back to back regions before this talk becomes serious. This is a very good basketball team that plays extremely hard. But what matters most (as last year's team showed) is how they play come late-February / March.

They did a tremendous thing last year by winning the state championship which is a feat that has only been done by one other current school in the 9th region in Holmes, but to call a dynasty requires a run of like Holmes did from 2007-09 of winning 3 consecutive region titles, getting to the final four 3 straight years, 2 straight state championship games and winning one which that part has been taken care of. Plus, not to mention the runs by Holmes from 1976-1980 and CovCath back in the late 1960's early 70's.

So, I will say it right now...NO CovCath will not have a dynasty anytime soon.

Edited by Tiger1

CCH winning in 67,68,69,and 70.Current CCH has a chance, sure, but these things run in cycles.

Didn't the Colonels win in 71 also, I thought it was a 5 year run?

I wonder, if NewCath can get past the mental thing and knock off CovCath in the regional and, heaven forbid, pull off the unprecedented feat of bringing a second straight state championship back to northern Kentucky this year ... who will be the first to say "it could have been two straight for NCC but for one bad foul call when Ruthsatz dove into Pangallo..." Followed, of course, by the thread about NewCath, with best returning big man Weyer and a host of talented underclassmen, may be on the verge of a dynasty....