Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

Is 6 the usual number of sophomores they will keep?

If you keep six out of every class you have an 18 man varsity roster. So by the time they are seniors, it will probably be even less. This year's varsity roster has 4 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophs and 2 freshmen.

If we take it down to include JV ... 1 junior and 7 sophs, plus one soph and the 2 freshmen who are also on the varsity roster.

So by the time they are juniors, probably at least 12 of those freshmen will be playing intramural ball.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this funny. CCH has owned the region but NCC has 10 more wins?

Also, mex starts the thread talking dynasty and CCH doesn't even have the best record in the region over the past couple years.

I know mex is looking ahead but it seems a bit premature when you look at those records.

That is why I said, "on the verge."

When I see numbers like what I posted above, I often wonder why so many of those kids go to CCH. Why not go to St. Henry or Holy Cross and have a better chance to play varsity sports in your high school years? You still get your Catholic education at those schools. I guess all those kids and families believe they will be one of the 4 seniors still standing when it is all said and done. You have to be real. If you aren't the stud leading scorer at BSS, St. Joe's, St. Pius, etc or have the size, then don't plan on playing varsity basketball. If playing varsity sports doesn't matter, then of course it is no big deal.

I remember st

When I see numbers like what I posted above, I often wonder why so many of those kids go to CCH. Why not go to St. Henry or Holy Cross and have a better chance to play varsity sports in your high school years? You still get your Catholic education at those schools. I guess all those kids and families believe they will be one of the 4 seniors still standing when it is all said and done. You have to be real. If you aren't the stud leading scorer at BSS, St. Joe's, St. Pius, etc or have the size, then don't plan on playing varsity basketball. If playing varsity sports doesn't matter, then of course it is no big deal.

Few year sa ago went to St. X Cincy for a frosh game. Was told they had 90 boys try out. They had two frosh teams with about 30 playing. Amazing

I see. Obviously Cov Cath is an elite program in NKY. Just trying to see what they do to set the standard. The two frosh must be pretty good ball players

Coach Ruthsatz has earned the right to do just about anything he wants, with that said, I a curious on the two frosh that were brought up. I have really never seen either play, except for garbage minutes at the end of games.

Was this a combo deal to justify bringing his son up? Is this a tactical move to get the inside track on AJ being a 3 sport athlete? How many sports will AJ be playing by his senior year?

I would like to hear some feedback from BGP'ers closer to the program than I am.

Coach Ruthsatz has earned the right to do just about anything he wants, with that said, I a curious on the two frosh that were brought up. I have really never seen either play, except for garbage minutes at the end of games.

Was this a combo deal to justify bringing his son up? Is this a tactical move to get the inside track on AJ being a 3 sport athlete? How many sports will AJ be playing by his senior year?

Good points. Not a package deal. As I am sure you have noticed, Scott Ruthsatz doesn't give a rip about what people think of his decisions, so he would have brought Aiden up whether AJ existed or not. Both are good ball players and I believe may be the #1 and #2 scorers at the JV level. Maybe not, but close. In other words, they are legit. AJ probably has the bigger challenge ahead for two reasons: 1. Balancing multiple sports at a high level and 2. Not sure how much taller he'll get - may have to change his game a little down the road, which takes time and work - tough to balance when you are pretty talented at the other two sports and trying to be a teenage kid. It will be very interesting to see how many sports AJ is playing as a Senior - hopefully all three. In the other two sports, he plays two demanding positions - QB and Catcher. Specific to AJ, not a tactical move - Scott thought he was ready for that level and he has shown that he is, in spades. Perhaps in the process, convincing himself (meaning AJ) to give hoops a serious "go" at CCH. It will be interesting to watch. Aiden Ruthsatz is a classic "hoops only" gym rat that will do nothing but improve.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Fixing The Quote

Funny that this was brought up...a Covcath assistant and I were just talking about this a few days ago.

My take:

Covcath has OWNED the 9th region the last 2 1/2 years, outside of Holmes. Take away the two Holmes losses Beetle's sophomore year and the loss last year in the district championship and Covcath has just one loss in the 9th region to a team not named Holmes...Cooper on February 5th, 2013.

During that stretch:

Covcath 39-4 v 9th Region Opponents (3 losses to Holmes, 1 to Cooper)

Newcath 49-4 v 9th Region Opponents (3 losses to Covcath, 1 v Holmes)

Holmes 42-6 v 9th Region Opponents (4 losses to Covcath, 2 v Newcath)

It's not just the varsity level, though, that Covcath has dominated NKY. Their JV team has consistently been top 2 or 3, along with their freshman teams as well, with this year's team being undefeated.

While it's going to be tough for Covcath to match what Holmes did from 04/05 to 09/10 (5 region final appearances, 4 region championships, Final 4, back to back state championship appearances and a state title), if they win region this year, I see no reason why they can't three-peat next year with what they have coming up and will return along with taking region again CVH senior year.

The competition next year:

Holmes will likely be their toughest competition with the return of seniors McClendon, Mullins, Moore, Englemon, Daniels, and Arnold to go along with stud soph Jaiden Greene and arguably the best frosh in NKY in Raavai Commodore. I've also heard rumors one of the top sophomores in NKY could end up at Holmes next year. (All speculation right now...I should know more after this season ends)

Newcath returns Weyer, Andreson twins, Ludwig, and soph Moeves, to go along with soph to be Hall and Pangallo, but it will be tough for them to replace Z Pangallo, McDonald, and G Moeves. Will still be a solid team but not what they've been these past few years.

Cooper returns, IMO, one of the top 2 trio of guards in McNeil, Hendrix, and Kunkel but like Newcath will be hit hard by graduation with loss of Hathorn, Hawkins, Liechty, and Dickerson.

Dixie obviouly loses A LOT in Rabe, Schreck, Niehaus, Isbel, Bolin, and Hedger.

Conner returns a solid trio of guards in Scott, Padgett, and Hemmerich but won't have the size to seriously threaten the Colonels.

The following year, VonHandorf's senior year, the current frosh will be juniors and I don't see that group losing up here.

I told the Covcath assistant if CCH wins region this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they won 4, 5 or even 6 straight region championships. The 8th and 9th grade classes are arguably the deepest and most talented classes to ever come through. (Time will tell...kids develop at different ages, which could be a reason for their domination right now)

Obviously a lot can happen over the next 4 years, but assuming these kids continue to develop and play at a high level, Covcath is going to be extremely tough to handle up here.

Should be a lot of fun to watch the progression of all the other teams and see if they catch up to the Colonels by the time their young kids (8th/9th grade) are juniors and seniors.

Tell me more about Commodore, how good do you think he can be?

Someone asked why go to Covington Catholic if you are going to be sweezed out of basketball? How about the # 1 education in Northern Kentucky. No offense to HHS, BW, WV but Covington Catholic is better. Look at the ACT, SAT, and graduation rate. Let's not forget these are STUDENT athletes.

Someone asked why go to Covington Catholic if you are going to be sweezed out of basketball? How about the # 1 education in Northern Kentucky. No offense to HHS, BW, WV but Covington Catholic is better. Look at the ACT, SAT, and graduation rate. Let's not forget these are STUDENT athletes.

Give us the details. What are the ACT, SAT and graduation rates at the schools you list? While you are at it, pull the ACT, SAT and graduation rates for Covington Latin, Notre Dame and Villa Madonna also.

I appreciate your loyalty to your alma mater. However, you've listed 3 strong academic schools who do not have to take every student so numbers as a guide are simply not apples-to-apples. If you're a student interested in getting a top-notch education then none of the schools you mention are worse than CCH.

HHS has student-athletes. So does BW. So does WV.