Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

I wonder, if NewCath can get past the mental thing and knock off CovCath in the regional and, heaven forbid, pull off the unprecedented feat of bringing a second straight state championship back to northern Kentucky this year ... who will be the first to say "it could have been two straight for NCC but for one bad foul call when Ruthsatz dove into Pangallo..." Followed, of course, by the thread about NewCath, with best returning big man Weyer and a host of talented underclassmen, may be on the verge of a dynasty....

Can't jinx us, I jinxed you first.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The dynasty talk and adoration of the coaching staff will end as soon as they don't win the region! Then the sky will fall and everyone will wonder why they lost with all that talent in the building. Just ask any other coach past or present that has dealt with it in the past at Cov Cath.

Jaded much.

Jaded much.

Nope, just a realist. I think the program and coaching staff are excellent, just believe that if they don't win the region (or more) every year with the expectations of greatness thrust upon them with kids who haven't even played a varsity minute yet, then it'll be the same old cry heard before in football, baseball, and past basketball regimes - how in the world do you lose with all that talent in the building. So then is it the coaches fault (they did win a state championship and I don't expect they'll forget how to coach), unrealistic expectations, or overrated talent?

I would change it from "on the verge of" to "in the midst of" one of the greatest runs ever.

I agree that this year is no lock, but its won't be because of the lack of excellence in Park Hills. It would be because NCC has a VERY talented group this year. CovCath picks up where they leave off for next year, and the following year, and........ Everyone else will be playing catch up for sure.

Nope, just a realist. I think the program and coaching staff are excellent, just believe that if they don't win the region (or more) every year with the expectations of greatness thrust upon them with kids who haven't even played a varsity minute yet, then it'll be the same old cry heard before in football, baseball, and past basketball regimes - how in the world do you lose with all that talent in the building. So then is it the coaches fault (they did win a state championship and I don't expect they'll forget how to coach), unrealistic expectations, or overrated talent?

Your original comment referred to sky falling if they don't win this year. That simply wouldn't be true.

Your original comment referred to sky falling if they don't win this year. That simply wouldn't be true.

Understood. However, if they don't win the region this year, I still think it'll be viewed as a huge disappointment. Not saying that's fair, but I do think that's how it will be viewed in the Cov Cath community as a whole. Again, just a personal opinion/observation.

Should they win the region? YES! Will they? They can! Yes, anything can happen, but I am sure all of the other schools in the 9th would rather be in CCH's shoes Vs any other team. The 9th has a very good draw for the Sweet 16 as well.

It's too early to tell on any dynasty, but they have all the pieces in place to have a very special run over the next few years. Will coach R stay if they have a nice run this year, or win the Sweet 16 again? (IF). Who knows, but to say that CCH won't be able to afford him anymore? He could have gone to a number of schools instead of CCH and made a lot more money, his family has a business so I am guessing that he will be willing to work with CCH, and would want to work with them. Some people are very happy where they are at and other schools will not be able to offer enough for them to leave.

Having said that. I agree with Wireman, I say NCC! NCC, NCC, NCC, NCC, NCC! Write it down! Lawnboy, I just made reservations for you at the Lex Hyatt. :)

Understood. However, if they don't win the region this year, I still think it'll be viewed as a huge disappointment. Not saying that's fair, but I do think that's how it will be viewed in the Cov Cath community as a whole. Again, just a personal opinion/observation.

I get where you are coming from with the observation. I have seen it too, however as with any fan base, the loud / over bearing minority seems to overshadow the silent majority. I for one just want to enjoy the ride the Colonels are on & hope to see it continue.

The original thread premise called attention to the good thing happening with Coach R. & the CCH program. I'd hoped the Colonel bashing could be limited in this one.

What is the comment "and out of Cincinnati" all about? Covington Catholic's top six players comes from St. Agnes (three), Blessed Sacrament (1), and St. Joseph Crescent Springs (two). These are all feeder schools. I don't believe there are any "Cincinnati" kids on the team. As others said later great feeder system to Covington Catholic. The last two freshman classes are huge, and the Jr. Highs are big with talent.

What is the comment "and out of Cincinnati" all about? Covington Catholic's top six players comes from St. Agnes (three), Blessed Sacrament (1), and St. Joseph Crescent Springs (two). These are all feeder schools. I don't believe there are any "Cincinnati" kids on the team. As others said later great feeder system to Covington Catholic. The last two freshman classes are huge, and the Jr. Highs are big with talent.

...maybe he's assuming they're going to start drawing some Cincinnati attention after winning state last season, regularly beating stiff Cincinnati competition over the last two years, beating the #2 ranked Ohio team this season, and with whatever may come of the 9th region tourney and the Sweet Sixteen.

I noticed several posts yesterday saying that the state tournament draw looks like a CovCath repeat. I'm just saying, I wouldn't assume a trip to Rupp Arena. That region tournament will be very competitive.

I predicted the CovCath repeat, but in no way do I believe they are certain to come out of the 9th.

I predicted the CovCath repeat, but in no way do I believe they are certain to come out of the 9th.

The comment made it sound like Covington Catholic is recruiting kids from Ohio. Not the case at all, these kids are Northern Kentucky's finest getting a first class education and the opportunity to play for a first class programs all with a foundation in the Christian faith.