Your Top 5 Rock Vocalist

Lawnboy13

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not the household name as all mentioned here, but Davey Pattison can just kill it.

He's probably most notable as the lead singer for Ronnie Montrose's band Gamma.

This tune here from 1979 displays wonderfully his passion and awesome Rock n' Roll pipes.

I can listen to this song a million times and never grow tired of it.

Davey Pattison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've already posted this tune in another thread, but I can't get enough of this Danish dude Jasper Steverlinck from a band named Arid, largely unknown in the states.

This song takes many dramatic turns with of course a nice crescendo to display the quality and tone of this guys voice.

I realize that it's hard to make anyone care much about a vocalist that they're unfamiliar with, or who provides them with no attachable memories.

In my perpetual quest for stuff that knocks my socks off, I typically have to appreciate and enjoy these sort of discoveries alone. I'm thankful that there's so many music lovers out here on BGP that at least I can give it a whirl and throw this kind of stuff at you.

No big deal if it doesn't resonate with you, but if you're anything like me you might dig coming across a diamond in the rough.

My apologies for obsessing so much here on this one vocalist. I won't be offended in the least if you simply bypass all of this and scroll on to the next post.

If you are a fan of Jeff Buckley, or simply want to know more about him, you might find this interesting.

In some circles Jeff Buckley is revered as a rock n' roll god.

Many others have either never heard of him, and if so, know very little about him.

Jeff died at the age of 30 drowning in a river just before joining his band to record the follow up to his highly acclaimed debut release "Grace"

Jeff's dad was Tim Buckley, a 60's folkie singer/songwriter who had died at the age of 28 of a drug overdose. Jeff barely new his father since he had split from his mother when Jeff was very young.

In 2012 the movie "Greetings From Tim Buckley" was released showing the story of how Jeff was invited to New York by Tim Buckley enthusiasts when Jeff was still an unknown, to sing one of his Dad's songs during a tribute show for Tim.

Participation in this show is what helped Jeff begin to launch a music career of his own.

I briefly met Jeff Buckley on December 4, 1994 at the Talkhouse in Miami, Fl.

Not being from there, I arrived early with a friend that I went to Miami to visit, to make sure I found the place ok.

Too early obviously, because we were the only patrons, and immediately wondered if this Sunday night would be a dead one which made me nervous because my friend, not being the show junkie that I was, could care less about being there, and I had dragged him there.

The Talkhouse was a medium sized pub styled venue with tables and chairs scattered about. I got a beer and asked the bartender if I was in the right place just to make sure. He told me that I was and said that Jeff was over there shooting pool.

Having no understanding at the time of the mystic of Jeff Buckley, I wondered to myself why the bartender thought that it was so noteworthy to point out.

All I knew about Jeff preveiously was less than a week's worth of listening to "Grace" to prep myself for the show, which I found to be fairly interesting, but was not entirely in love with it just yet for the jury in my mind was still sorting out what I was hearing.

While I realized that it was not exactly a trend following effort of the day, I had only read a Rolling Stone review, had knowledge that he had already played in my hometown of Cincinnati, that I had missed, and saw another blurb in another Rolling Stone issue entitled "Generation Next" that showcased up and coming artists. I knew nothing of a story about a fairly popular folky dad who had died years earlier.

I typically like small venue shows where I'd have a chance to chat up the artists, and as a songwriter myself, I felt more in line with them than typical fans and thought, I've got nothing else to do, so just for kicks, I'd go over to say Hello.

Since he didn't know anything about me, he might've perhaps assumed that I knew more about him than I did. I was not an adoring fan like maybe he had assumed. At this point, I was just thrilled to be attending a show in Miami, far from my midwestern roots.

He and, as I came to understand later, his warm up act Brenda Kahn were in the middle of a game of pool.

Jeff was bent over the table eyeballing a shot when I approached him and said "Hey Jeff, how was the Sudsy Malone's show"? (Sudsy's is the Cincinnati venue where Jeff had played that also doubles as a laundromat, and I thought that it might be cool to see what he thought of the place, and maybe surprise him a bit that I knew anything about it).

In a standoffish nonchalant uninterested fashion he stayed bent over examining his shot and dryly said, "It's was alright, nobody was there, but the laundromat party afterwards was more fun".

I said "Oh really, Sudsy's is typically a very cool place to see a show, I guess not many people knew of you yet as you played there shortly after your Rolling Stone review".

He simply said "I guess".

In an effort to advance the conversation some more, I said "Did you have a chance to see the new issue of Rolling Stone called "Generation Next" with you in it?.

He replied again with dry sarcasm "I was in Rolling Stone"?. Knowing full good and well he knew that he was, but was trying to act like "Of course I've seen it, that's a dumb question, and whooptie-doo anyhow".

I thought without saying, "OK dude, I get the point... I'm bothering you and you are way too cool for me, or to have a normal conversation, as it's obvious to me that you are rather self-absorbed and think way more of yourself than I do, and are assuming that I'm a big fan, which I am not... and baloney if you think that I believe that mention of you in RS means nothing to you".

So I just said "Nice meeting you man, and I look forward to your show"... and went over to take a seat near my friend who found a table towards the left hand side of the stage, who was more interested in his first of 9 bottles of beer that I reluctantly matched him with, than anything else.

As I looked around the club I noticed an assortment of "JB Grace" posters and pictures posted up here and there.

I eventually excused myself for a visit to the john where I had about 5 urinals to choose from.

The choice was made easy as one of them had a round photo of Jeff placed neatly and prominently in it. I thought to myself, " How perfect...Pee on you dude" and stepped up to empty my bladder on his face.

It took years for me to conclude this, but perhaps he had jokingly put it there himself to begin with. Either him, a band mate, or a roady? Maybe all in fun, or who knows... maybe someone was trying to send him a message to come down from his star just a bit. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Little by little more fans started to arrive. Brenda Kahn took the stage, and for me a so-so affair considering I knew nothing of her repertoire. So far for me and my friend, a pretty dull night if not for our beer binge and a step outside at intermission to smoke a joint.

We managed to retain our table towards the left hand side of the stage and both commented surprisingly that the place was starting to fill up.

By the time Jeff and his mates took the stage, it was a standing room only house with a certain respectful hush about it. I was intrigued. I thought "These Miami folks are obviously way more on to the buzz of this guy than they are in Cincy."

My curiosity increased as I was pondering and patiently awaiting for my two hour wait to close to finally find out why this guy deserved to be billed by his name and not a band name.

Before the first note of "So Real" I remember thinking to myself that his somewhat dark skin tone had a sickly unhealthy glow about it.

As they jammed out the first song, I also remember his mouth quivering as if the notes that he was singing were swimming around his mouth. I couldn't decide if that was his style or if he had gum in his mouth.

By the time the song had ended, the crowd paused to make sure he had finished every note of his wailing, and then erupted into a wild appreciative applause. I specifically remember a stout dark haired girl toward the right hand side of the stage screaming uncontrollably "Yes...Yes...Yes!!!!!!!!"

It became apparent to me that I was witnessing something very special. Although he had initially snubbed me, I couldn't help but take notice.

As the show continued, song after song, I just became more and more entranced.

Although I had a ton of alcohol in my system and a nice pot buzz going, this show was somehow sobering.

His band mates were comfortable staying pretty much in the shadows, but in no way were they not as much the stars as Jeff.

I remember how incredibly patient and exact drummer Matt Johnson was a creating such a reverent mystical sound like I had never witnessed from a drummer before.

His second guitarist as well as his tall dark haired bassist were as equally memorable.

No doubt Jeff was brilliant and amazing, but just as Robert Plant had settled to live behind a band name, I sincerely felt that so should have Jeff.

When they finished their last tune, they exited off the left hand side of the stage to gather outside in a plastic windowed patio, peaking through to watch the crowd screaming for their return.

I caught eyes with Jeff behind the plastic and nodded in approval. He smiled and his eyes were wide looking at the crowd knowing that they were in complete awe. They had truly put on a fantastic show. They came back on to end the show with a Big Star cover before again exiting the stage.

My friend and I strolled out of the bar to leave, and just as he had little concern about being there, he also had no understanding of what he just saw, and am pretty sure he never much ever thought about it again.

In the coming months as Jeff's popularity continued to rise, I would remind him of the show and he would typically act uninterested. I on the other hand had realized what an incredible show I had seen, and the memory of it has never left me.

I have to say that on that given night I had a love/hate relationship with Jeff. Same with the multiple times I've listened to Grace since... and to this day I see Grace for its brilliance, however I still for various reasons find it difficult to listen to as it effects my mood in such a haunting way.

Crazy as it sounds, it's a release that I love to love, love to hate, and hate to love.

MSNBC Expose on Jeff Buckley's Life/Death - YouTube

Springsteen and Dylan? Ohhh.... Especially Dylan! Great writers, no doubt, top 3 in that category. But top 5 voice wise? :idunno: To each his own. :lol2:

I like both of them, but I wonder if they were in their beginning years today, how many chairs would flip around for either of them at the Blind Auditions of the Voice. Also, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, and a few more. My guess would be none. They'd all probably be told to stick to song writing and leave the singing to professionals.

I like both of them, but I wonder if they were in their beginning years today, how many chairs would flip around for either of them at the Blind Auditions of the Voice. Also, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, and a few more. My guess would be none. They'd all probably be told to stick to song writing and leave the singing to professionals.
I agree. I'm not saying they have no talent or stage presence, obviously they're some of the absolute best in the business. But, since this thread is about top rock vocalists, I just think there are a ton of better vocalists in the business.