All A revisit!

Okay, let's take a look back. Most of the defense around why the All A is such a great tournament is because "It gives the small schools a chance to compete. They don't have the same opportunities as the large schools do in the state tournament"

As I followed the regions and now the state tournament, something has come to mind that puts that "myth" to rest.

In the sweet 16, you had Glascow, Danville, Shelby Valley and NCC. Also, teams that made it to their regional finals were University Heights, Owensboro Catholic and Murray. That means that we were one game away from just about half of the sweet 16 field being teams that competed in the All A tournament. And if you take the position that Brossart was probably the favorite to win their region (debatable), we could have very easily had half the field as A teams.

So please stop using the excuse that that A is to provide small schools a chance to experience something they may never get to experience. And by the way 80% of the state (regardless of size) never gets that experience either! So why do we feel the need to try to create 2nd chance opportunities for kids to win a trophy? If it were truly for teams that realistically never would have a chance, I'd be in the first row watching this competition. But it's not. It's a double dip opportunity that other kids don't get. I really don't get it! Either go to classes in bball or don't. Don't allow this to be a simulated state tournament that is eliminates some schools from competing. You can say it's "just anonther tournament", but everyone knows it's treated and respected as a state tournament. I just saw where one school (in another sport) posted or in an article where the team that won it just got their All A state rings! And others hang banners! It's just another tournament? Really?

For those of you that think I hate the All A, that's not true. It's a great tournament! Well run and fun for the kids and gives back to the schools and the players. I hate the fact that people don't admit what it really is. It's a second chance for small schools (who by the way can compete) to get a state trophy. And to me, that lends itself to the everyone gets a trophy mentality that I despise.

Edited by RCC9

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let's take a look back. Most of the defense around why the All A is such a great tournament is because "It gives the small schools a chance to compete. They don't have the same opportunities as the large schools do in the state tournament"

As I followed the regions and now the state tournament, something has come to mind that puts that "myth" to rest.

In the sweet 16, you had Glascow, Danville, Shelby Valley and NCC. Also, teams that made it to their regional finals were University Heights, Owensboro Catholic and Murray. That means that we were one game away from just about half of the sweet 16 field being teams that competed in the All A tournament. And if you take the position that Brossart was probably the favorite to win their region (debatable), we could have very easily had half the field as A teams.

So please stop using the excuse that that A is to provide small schools a chance to experience something they may never get to experience. And by the way 80% of the state (regardless of size) never gets that experience either! So why do we feel the need to try to create 2nd chance opportunities for kids to win a trophy? If it were truly for teams that realistically never would have a chance, I'd be in the first row watching this competition. But it's not. It's a double dip opportunity that other kids don't get. I really don't get it! Either go to classes in bball or don't. Don't allow this to be a simulated state tournament that is eliminates some schools from competing. You can say it's "just anonther tournament", but everyone knows it's treated and respected as a state tournament. I just saw where one school (in another sport) posted or in an article where the team that won it just got their All A state rings! And others hang banners! It's just another tournament? Really?

For those of you that think I hate the All A, that's not true. It's a great tournament! Well run and fun for the kids and gives back to the schools and the players. I hate the fact that people don't admit what it really is. It's a second chance for small schools (who by the way can compete) to get a state trophy. And to me, that lends itself to the everyone gets a trophy mentality that I despise.

NewCath boys got rings, and each year the Tournament sponsors provide each winning team with a banner.

What about this suggestion I received in email. What about playing the All A at the end of the year. Let districts happen and then the teams that don't make the show, go to the All A if their attendance numbers allow. Or even have the teams that qualify choose which post season they want to participate in.

Lawnboy, what do the NCC rings say on them? Do others get rings for winning "just another tournament"?

I agree with you it's a great event. Heck, the HC/NCC game I saw was probably the best game I saw all year! (other than HHS beating NCC at home! :ylsuper:) I have no problem with the event. It's the way some defend is and the fact that we feel like the same teams that compete in regions and states "deserve" another chance to "get a ring".

So I ask the question again...why don't the All A schools that have a legitimate chance of winning the state tournament (NCC who was ranked #1 in the 9th all year) have to choose at the beginning of the season in which tournament they would like to participate? I agree with RCC, if you are a legitimate contender for the "big dance" (and you typically know that at the beginning of the season), how is it an opportunity for the small schools that will never see the excitement of a state tourney? I don't have anything against the tournament, but I still don't think that its intended purpose is being upheld.

What about this suggestion I received in email. What about playing the All A at the end of the year. Let districts happen and then the teams that don't make the show, go to the All A if their attendance numbers allow. Or even have the teams that qualify choose which post season they want to participate in.

I agree with you it's a great event. Heck, the HC/NCC game I saw was probably the best game I saw all year! (other than HHS beating NCC at home! :ylsuper:) I have no problem with the event. It's the way some defend is and the fact that we feel like the same teams that compete in regions and states "deserve" another chance to "get a ring".

According to KHSAA you can't play after you have been eliminated from the postseason. All A schools don't want to choose.

The All A works not sure why people want to change it.

With regards to the argument that the All A is not any different than any Christmas tournament...you're RIGHT! It's not. But, just like any tournament...it's got a list of invited schools, with a bracket, and a schedule of dates. It just so happens that all of the schools that are invited have one thing in common...their enrollment size! So what? Coaches/AD's choose all the time who they want/don't want, to invite/compete against all the time for their tournaments. And I don't see people complaining that Covington Latin is not part of the King of the Bluegrass.

I just don't see the big deal about letting them have it. There are indeed some schools that, when they're good, they're very good, and could likely win both the All-A as well as the Sweet 16...but so what? We didn't get all in a huff because Ballard's boys won the KOB, and were favored to win the state, too. It's impossible to predict. So let them play ball.

Yes, but how many of those A schools won a game in the state tournament this year? Just Danville (who knocked off Shelby Valley) and they were beaten today by Ashland. I don't see how that proves that the All A is worthless or not needed since none of those teams made a deep state tournament run. Now, if three of the final four were A schools or there was a string of A schools making the state final and/or winning the championship for a few seasons then I could see the point being valid.

So I ask the question again...why don't the All A schools that have a legitimate chance of winning the state tournament (NCC who was ranked #1 in the 9th all year) have to choose at the beginning of the season in which tournament they would like to participate? I agree with RCC, if you are a legitimate contender for the "big dance" (and you typically know that at the beginning of the season), how is it an opportunity for the small schools that will never see the excitement of a state tourney? I don't have anything against the tournament, but I still don't think that its intended purpose is being upheld.

Well this did sort of happen in Volleyball. For 6 or 7 years the NewCath volleyball team chose to play in the Louisville Invitational Tournament and did not participate in the All "A", when they CLEARLY would have won it EVERY one of those years.

:deadhorse: It is a great tournament and you do not like the attention it takes away from all the other schools while it is going on. You are a broken record that has beat on this for years and always will until the Touchstone people stop doing it which would be a shame. Find a sponsor or put up the money and start you own tournament so HHS can play and you will be happy. Stop trying to hide behind "its not for the small schools" and just admit you don't like it, period!

RCC, please let it go!!!!!