What are the main reasons you affiliate with a specific political party?

Plato

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always been a Democrat from my teen years and mostly vote that way. Most of my extended family and friends vote Republican or say they do. I do not believe there is any way anyone can back all the platforms of either party. I have always believed in the party that will not punish children for what their parents refuse to do. That's why I vote Democratic usually. I do understand others think differently and who makes them more right than me or vice versa. The national issues that are assigned to a party in general, I am all over the place. I believe in capital punishment(if it is without a doubt proven guilty), gun rights (except assault type weapons), gay rights, planned parenthood, public education no federal $ for charters, equal pay for everyone regardless of gender, race or age for the same types of vocations, unions have passed their use in a responsble manner, legalizing marajuana, taking care of the veterans who fight for our country no matter the cost, staying out of most foreign conficts (I have no idea how to make those decisons, however). I weigh a lot of things before I vote, as I would believe most people do. My problem is how divisive we have become as a country over one or two issues and lack understanding of other people views. I believe a lot of people confuse understanding and agreement. Finally, I believe most importantly that all people have value, tolerance was very overrated and harmful in my opinion. No one wants to be tolerated, they want to be valued, we did not take the message far enough. Another key frame for my thinking is we try to be more consistent than fair. They are very different. Sometimes we are too consistent to be fair. I would expect no one to believe as I do totally and compromise is the lost strategy to solve problems.

Note that I said it was "another example." I've never said it's owned exclusively.

NC was on the Democratic hit list in 2012. So was there fraud there - of course. But probably a lot less than Ohio and Philly. The liberal capital of NC is Chapel Hill. After that its pretty red - in a lot of ways.

At least Two and me have something in common. We are aligned to parties due to voter fraud issues.

I switched parties due to frustration with election stealing (which what Gore was trying to do in 2000) and the ongoing voter fraud of the Democratic party. And Two is aligned to the party committing the vast majority of voter fraud because the other party is trying to legally fight it.

If ANYONE wants to rediscover the agenda with respect to voter ID, just go back to the House Republican leader from Pennsylvania last year.

I believe the quote was, "Voter ID, which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done".

NC was on the Democratic hit list in 2012. So was there fraud there - of course. But probably a lot less than Ohio and Philly. The liberal capital of NC is Chapel Hill. After that its pretty red - in a lot of ways.

At least Two and me have something in common. We are aligned to parties due to voter fraud issues.

I switched parties due to frustration with election stealing (which what Gore was trying to do in 2000) and the ongoing voter fraud of the Democratic party. And Two is aligned to the party committing the vast majority of voter fraud because the other party is trying to legally fight it.

Actually the research triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is the Liberal area I believe. Greensboro is as well and I think they have the College Voting site that was closed down. (It's an historical African-American School)

If ANYONE wants to rediscover the agenda with respect to voter ID, just go back to the House Republican leader from Pennsylvania last year.

I believe the quote was, "Voter ID, which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done".

McPap what is the problem with voters having to legally identify themselves to vote? They need an ID to cash checks, need one to rent a Rug Doctor, need one to pick up prescriptions, rent a movie at Blockbuster, drive a car, rent a home, to buy many over the counter meds and even to receive most Government Assistance...so if an ID is needed to complete all of that plus many more things that we all do on a daily basis, how does requiring one to vote inconvenience anyone or suppress those that can legally vote?

On both social & fiscal matters I am very conservative. It's not uncommon for me to vote for Democrats at the local & state level. I can't remember the last time I voted for a Democrat on the national level. Actually, I'm not sure if I ever have.

However, 2012 was the first time in my voting life (which began in 1996) that I didn't vote for any candidate for the office of President.

GOP is much more effective in "changing the vote." Just look at Florida in 2012. Obama still won the state despite the GOP doing everything it "legally could" to reduce minority turnout. Desperate measures from a political party that's moving further to the right every day.

I am disillusioned by them all throughout my political conscious time.

I was influenced as a young person by the honesty of Jimmy Carter. But by 1980 was turned off by him and excited about Reagan.

Reagan kept me on his side until the Iran Contra Scandals let me down. I've always tried to avoid the mythology of Reagan because I saw the bad as well as the good he did.

Bush I was a case of better than Dukakis, but I voted Clinton twice and saw him as a breath (but not inhaled :D) of fresh air and the country was prospering. But by 1998 I was angry with his personal conduct and could not see voting for his lackey (Gore) in '00.

Once the war in Iraq began I lost support for Bush II. I felt it was a rush and a defense dept that wanted a "big splash"/ TV War rather than the long but necessary war in Afghanistan had become. So I voted Kerry, more out of dislike of Bush II.

I voted McCain because I respected his service to the country and Obama to me was a novice. Held my nose in the last election because I didn't care for either candidate.

So what is my party affiliation? To some, I'm a liberal Democrat. To others a crazy Republican.

Guess I'm more like a man with no party. It's a bumpy ride but I like to be able to look objectively and critique both sides from here.

I was influenced as a young person by the honesty of Jimmy Carter. But by 1980 was turned off by him and excited about Reagan.

Reagan kept me on his side until the Iran Contra Scandals let me down. I've always tried to avoid the mythology of Reagan because I saw the bad as well as the good he did.

Bush I was a case of better than Dukakis, but I voted Clinton twice and saw him as a breath (but not inhaled :D) of fresh air and the country was prospering. But by 1998 I was angry with his personal conduct and could not see voting for his lackey (Gore) in '00.

Once the war in Iraq began I lost support for Bush II. I felt it was a rush and a defense dept that wanted a "big splash"/ TV War rather than the long but necessary war in Afghanistan had become. So I voted Kerry, more out of dislike of Bush II.

I voted McCain because I respected his service to the country and Obama to me was a novice. Held my nose in the last election because I didn't care for either candidate.

So what is my party affiliation? To some, I'm a liberal Democrat. To others a crazy Republican.

Guess I'm more like a man with no party. It's a bumpy ride but I like to be able to look objectively and critique both sides from here.

Disillusioned is the perfect word to describe my political thoughts these days.

The two-party system and the way we conduct primaries is not beneficial to those of us who currently take pieces from both sides of the aisle. If there was ever a country where political deadlock and partisanship was crying out for a proportional representation and a strong third (and maybe even fourth) party, it's this one... right now.

That's eerily similar to my own political path, with me throwing in a couple independents along the way.