Why do KY teams and others choose Not to play Trinity?

The better question is would you know Dale Mueller even existed if he coached at Knott County Central. I take offense to some of you guys saying that this guy or that guy is the best 2 coaches in the state. You put Dale in a situation where he doesn't have 10 paid coaches on the staff, the tradition that Highlands has, the major D1 players he has had, and the money that is poured into that program along with the amount of kids not on free or reduced lunch and he would get real ordinary. He might have built Highlands into what it is today but I'm pretty sure they had success before Dale and would've had success even if he wasn't there. Dale is an outstanding coach but I don't think in high school that you can take a coach that has more boys to pick from, in the largest city and say he's better than Joe Schmo in Clinton County, Ky who has no advantages whatsoever and say that Beatty is the best coach in the state. These schools have advantages that others do not. Now if you want to say that Trinity's coach is better than St. X's then yes you can compare those two apples.

I don't doubt that. My post about Mueller at Ryle was to make the point that another 6A school besides St. X. can compete with Trinity. There are 6A schools that can compete with them with the right coach leading the way. But it will take a special coach.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better question is would you know Dale Mueller even existed if he coached at Knott County Central. I take offense to some of you guys saying that this guy or that guy is the best 2 coaches in the state. You put Dale in a situation where he doesn't have 10 paid coaches on the staff, the tradition that Highlands has, the major D1 players he has had, and the money that is poured into that program along with the amount of kids not on free or reduced lunch and he would get real ordinary. He might have built Highlands into what it is today but I'm pretty sure they had success before Dale and would've had success even if he wasn't there. Dale is an outstanding coach but I don't think in high school that you can take a coach that has more boys to pick from, in the largest city and say he's better than Joe Schmo in Clinton County, Ky who has no advantages whatsoever and say that Beatty is the best coach in the state. These schools have advantages that others do not. Now if you want to say that Trinity's coach is better than St. X's then yes you can compare those two apples.[/quote

I believe Dale was National Coach of the Year a few years back. The man can flat out coach, develop and motivate young men. :ylsuper:

I believe that in several circumstances that Manual is a bigger competitor to X for students than T because of the tuition issue. Certainly T and X will get their share of students (I am not talking fb players here) due to parent/family alumni in any given year

This is true at Trinity also. Numerous times when I was involved in Registration/Financial Aid info nights, parents would be simultaneously going through the financial aid/registration process at Trinity while seeing if their kid could get into Manual.

Serious question, why would Trinity choose to play other KY teams? What is the point of just taking a game and risk injury if it is a foregone conclusion as to the result and it will not prep them any more for the November run? Outside of district if they are not able to get a big boy out of state that week just play the second best team in 6A... the Trinity reserve squad.

Some people actually believe this.

Some people actually believe this.

Actually believe what? I did not mean it as a slight against anyone. The reserve squad comment was meant as joke but the rest I am serious about. Once they have their district games set and games against out of state competition, what is the point of just playing a team simply because they are from Kentucky?

HHS does the same for out of city (AND AND) out of state kid's don't fool yourself people.

Wow! What an insightful first couple posts!! Since you seem to know so much about the situation please enlighten us. How many of these kids are on the team in any one year?

Actually believe what? I did not mean it as a slight against anyone. The reserve squad comment was meant as joke but the rest I am serious about. Once they have their district games set and games against out of state competition, what is the point of just playing a team simply because they are from Kentucky?

I was on the iPhone so I couldn't bold what I meant. But some people actually believe trinitys reserve to be the second best.

I think what CamelGonewild is saying is this...Dale may be a good coach but he has advantages that others may not have. It's not Dale's fault nor is it Trinity's fault they have open enrollment and can attract players from all over. Dale may be a good coach as well as Trinity's but to claim they are the best in the state is sort of a reach because you are comparing apples to ostrichs. Put Dale at a school that doesn't have open enrollment such as any school in Boone County and see if he can win 6 straight state titles, I doubt he could win 3 in a 7 year span. It's not Dale's fault nor any coaches fault they are successful at a program that allows them open enrollment etc.

That may be why I really don't care how many games Trinity wins etc. because what I find more fulfilling are schools that don't have the advantages others do yet still go deep in the playoffs against those schools that do have advantages.

I'd be curious if anyone knows, how many counties in the state don't allow open enrollment for their public schools? Yes I'm a huge Cooper fan, but what they were able to do last year and the same goes for Conner the year before, going so deep in the playoffs as they did and being from a county that not only doesn't have open enrollment but also has 5 public high schools in the county if you include Walton Verona. Any team that goes up against the big schools with open enrollment and comes out victorious in the post season always makes for a good story imo.

People can debate the advantageous and disadvantages of open enrollment all they want, but the bottom line will always be that when a county doesn't allow open enrollment for it's schools they will always be at a disadvantage when competing, especially at football, against schools that do allow open enrollment.

I don't know the answer, but I'd love to know out of the 6 state titles last year, how many were from schools with no open enrollment?

I think what CamelGonewild is saying is this...Dale may be a good coach but he has advantages that others may not have. It's not Dale's fault nor is it Trinity's fault they have open enrollment and can attract players from all over. Dale may be a good coach as well as Trinity's but to claim they are the best in the state is sort of a reach because you are comparing apples to ostrichs. Put Dale at a school that doesn't have open enrollment such as any school in Boone County and see if he can win 6 straight state titles, I doubt he could win 3 in a 7 year span. It's not Dale's fault nor any coaches fault they are successful at a program that allows them open enrollment etc.

That may be why I really don't care how many games Trinity wins etc. because what I find more fulfilling are schools that don't have the advantages others do yet still go deep in the playoffs against those schools that do have advantages.

I'd be curious if anyone knows, how many counties in the state don't allow open enrollment for their public schools? Yes I'm a huge Cooper fan, but what they were able to do last year and the same goes for Conner the year before, going so deep in the playoffs as they did and being from a county that not only doesn't have open enrollment but also has 5 public high schools in the county if you include Walton Verona. Any team that goes up against the big schools with open enrollment and comes out victorious in the post season always makes for a good story imo.

People can debate the advantageous and disadvantages of open enrollment all they want, but the bottom line will always be that when a county doesn't allow open enrollment for it's schools they will always be at a disadvantage when competing, especially at football, against schools that do allow open enrollment.

I don't know the answer, but I'd love to know out of the 6 state titles last year, how many were from schools with no open enrollment?

Here we go again. Boone Co is the ONLY district that I know that doesn't have open enrollement. And that was the choice of their district! They did it to themselves. Every other school that I know takes kids from other districts if they want to come. Why aren't Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow and Lloyd all powerhouses? They have open enrollement! Along with many others. Why isn't SK, Scott, Dixie, Camp Co...all open enrollment schools. All live by EXACTLY the same rules as HHS.

And I think it's been said many times, HHS had 5 tuition kids out of 120 on their roster last year. So are you saying take those 5 kids off the team and HHS is back to just a little above average. Keep in mind at least one of those was a freshman.

Open enrollment is no where near what Trinity and St X have. You can't lop open enrollment in with private schools. You live in Boone Co, so you think not having open enrollment is the norm. It's the opposite. Boone is in the vast minority.

I think that part of the advantage goes beyond just having open enrollment, but matters geographically where the school is located. The advantage lies in having open enrollment AND being located within a highly populated area. What good does it do for schools like McLean Co., Webster Co. etc. to have open enrollment.

I would assume that Trinity gets a lot of really good football players due to the fact that kids in the area want to play for and be a part of the best. Same thing occurrs at Owensboro Catholic. But Owensboro Catholic is never going to compete with Trinity just simply due to the size of the community.

If Trinity's coaching staff were to take over at Owensboro Catholic, I have no doubt they would be very successful, might even get the Aces over the hump to win a 2A title, but no way would they compete with the GCL teams as Trinity does now.

Dale is an awesome coach. Amongst the tops ever. He was the head coach in Ohio at Sycamore and Withrow, and while there was some success, there were no state titles.