Why do KY teams and others choose Not to play Trinity?

Again, Dale is a Great Coach. He & Coach Beatty are hands down the 2 best H.S. football coaches in ky. But no matter how you cut it, Highlands was over matched when they faced the Rocks. Now as far Scott co., While I applause their effort vs Trinity last year they too were outmatched by Trinity. Scotty co only scored 1 offensive TD & the other TD coming from a 60 yard interception returned for a TD. Scotty had serious problems moving the ball on T's defense. Again not taking anything away from them but Scott co benefitted from 3 things. Dawkins playing with a stomach virus puking thru out the game & clearly not 100%, Probably shouldn't have played. 2ndly, Travis Wright having an off night. He over & under threw several wrs. Some of those over thrown passes would have been TD's on most nights. Had nothing to do with Scott co's D Travis just over thru his wrs. & lastly, James Quick out with an injury. Dawkins managed to over come & fight thru being ill, going on to still rush for over 100 yards & Scored the game winning td 50 sec. left on a 67 yard screen & Travis Wright played a fine 4th quarter as he completed some big time passes.

The point I'm making is with a sick free Dawkins & Quick on the field, the score would have been lopsided, no disrepect to Scotty co. but everyone knows Trinity had the far better team.

Certainly you don't think 3 guys make a difference on a team like T.

If you do then perhaps there will be more of these types of games this yr...

Iam never a big fan of anyone who says that with this kid healthy or that kid healthy we would have beaten you worse than what we did. Programs like T and H do not make excuses, they overcome adversity and WIN.

One of the mottos at Highlands is not a single kid, superstar or family is bigger than the history or state of the program, ever.

With that said, these types of programs win because of this mindset, they move on and grind it out when adversity strikes and find a way to win in the end. :thumb:

FWIW, SC looked as if they were going to blow Highlands out last yr and then Dale and company made some adjustments that worked and just left SC shaking their heads and wondering what just happened to them.

Coaches order the moves, the kids execute the moves, this is what make the coaches Great and this is why these programs win the way they do.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being close to beating trinity doesn't count. The fact that you would bring that up shows how good that program really is. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

As far as your official record (and in what matters most for me or I'm sure Coach McKee of Scott Co) you're no doubt 100% correct.

But in the hearts & minds of your players--most of whom have always been told, "you'll always get blown out if you play them" and then see that come true when X or T beat up on another public school team--getting close in a varsity game matters so much TO THEM the next time you play them.

I never know based on watching my team in warm ups whether they'll win or not, but I CAN tell in their eyes, body-language, etc. if they feel they have no chance to win. It would take a much better coach than me to lead a team to a win against a great opponent if my team feels they have no chance.

As far as your official record (and in what matters most for me or I'm sure Coach McKee of Scott Co) you're no doubt 100% correct.

But in the hearts & minds of your players--most of whom have always been told, "you'll always get blown out if you play them" and then see that come true when X or T beat up on another public school team--getting close in a varsity game matters so much TO THEM the next time you play them.

I never know based on watching my team in warm ups whether they'll win or not, but I CAN tell in their eyes, body-language, etc. if they feel they have no chance to win. It would take a much better coach than me to lead a team to a win against a great opponent if my team feels they have no chance.

I'm not a fan of moral victories, but your point is well taken. You have to walk before you can run, and is your situation in competing with schools like Trinity and St. Xavier, I think what you say is completely correct. When a program, and it's players, have been conditioned to believe they can't beat a team, you have to come close to show them that the win is attainable. Once, that happens anything is possible.

This is from a woman who worked two (or was it three?) jobs to put her son through Trinity. Saying that, it can be done and is done often.

Also, to add a little. Rock Mom mentioned "the off-chance they qualify". Technically that is not chance, it is a very long and complex formula that Trinity has no part in calculating. PSAS (Private School Aid Service) is one of about a half dozen companies approved by the KHSAA to provide financial aid forms to applicants and to calculate the financial need of the applicant. The three main drivers behind the caluclation are 1) Total Household Income, 2) How many people live in that household (a household with 8 kids would need more aid than a household with one kid all other things being equal) and 3) The amount of tuition being paid for the other kids ie if a household had an older sister going to Assumption, an older sibling going to UK and two younger sibling going to Saint So and So, that would be a large amount of tuition being paid and that family would qualify for quite a bit of aid assuming their overall house hold income was not overly high.

Also, for a long time 1/2 of tuition was the max, I believe Trinity's endowment and overall fundraising has increased enough that it is more than half, not sure how much more.

Kentucky should just do what Tennessee does. If you receive and aid, scholarship, even academic, then you are not eligible to compete in athletics.

Are you sure? LCA went on probation for having athletes exceed the threshold. I think there is a current court case about a girl attending Owensboro Catholic that is ineligible because she was awarded to much aid.

A student cannot receive more than 25% merit aid and be eligible for athletics.

When it comes to financial aid, the KHSAA states you cannot give more than the amount of Need Based Aid calculated by the 3rd party, ie Private School Aid Service (PSAS). So if John Doe Jr.'s parents apply for financial aid and PSAS determines he has a financial aid need of $3,500, then after the process is completed for that school year, the bread winner of the family loses their job and they appeal the award and Trinity decides to give the family $5,500 in aid, the student can no longer participate in athletics until the next school year when the financial aid process happens again.

As far as Merit Aid, Merit Aid and Need Based Aid are not the same thing. The only examples of Merit Aid I can think of at Trinity are the Steinhauser Scholars who are students who scored in the top 1 or 2% of the entrance exam. They are given an award of a few thousand which is less than 25% of tuition. Yes, some football players do score in the top 1 or 2% for those who doubt :). If I am not mistaken, one memeber on this board has a son who is/was a Steinhauser Scholar and played football.

Kentucky should just do what Tennessee does. If you receive and aid, scholarship, even academic, then you are not eligible to compete in athletics.

Why?

Why should lower income students be punished like that? IE, if they receive aid, they cannot play. I cannot think of any fair justification for such a rule and if I am no mistaken, that is not the rule in Tennessee, Tennessee simply has split championships for public and private schools which I think public schools like Colerain in Ohio show there is not need for that either.

Again, Dale is a Great Coach. He & Coach Beatty are hands down the 2 best H.S. football coaches in ky. But no matter how you cut it, Highlands was over matched when they faced the Rocks. Now as far Scott co., While I applause their effort vs Trinity last year they too were outmatched by Trinity. Scotty co only scored 1 offensive TD & the other TD coming from a 60 yard interception returned for a TD. Scotty had serious problems moving the ball on T's defense. Again not taking anything away from them but Scott co benefitted from 3 things. Dawkins playing with a stomach virus puking thru out the game & clearly not 100%, Probably shouldn't have played. 2ndly, Travis Wright having an off night. He over & under threw several wrs. Some of those over thrown passes would have been TD's on most nights. Had nothing to do with Scott co's D Travis just over thru his wrs. & lastly, James Quick out with an injury. Dawkins managed to over come & fight thru being ill, going on to still rush for over 100 yards & Scored the game winning td 50 sec. left on a 67 yard screen & Travis Wright played a fine 4th quarter as he completed some big time passes.

The point I'm making is with a sick free Dawkins & Quick on the field, the score would have been lopsided, no disrepect to Scotty co. but everyone knows Trinity had the far better team.

[/b]

Certainly you don't think 3 guys make a difference on a team like T.

If you do then perhaps there will be more of these types of games this yr...

Iam never a big fan of anyone who says that with this kid healthy or that kid healthy we would have beaten you worse than what we did. Programs like T and H do not make excuses, they overcome adversity and WIN.

One of the mottos at Highlands is not a single kid, superstar or family is bigger than the history or state of the program, ever.

With that said, these types of programs win because of this mindset, they move on and grind it out when adversity strikes and find a way to win in the end. :thumb:

FWIW, SC looked as if they were going to blow Highlands out last yr and then Dale and company made some adjustments that worked and just left SC shaking their heads and wondering what just happened to them.

Coaches order the moves, the kids execute the moves, this is what make the coaches Great and this is why these programs win the way they do.

Great post!!

Trinity was the best team on paper, but , the games are played on the field.

Florida boy your post is nothing but excuses. The depth that T has should not have been a problem. As far as who scored TD's, O,D, special teams, it doesn't matter, a TD is a TD. You say SC was overmatched, yea on paper they were, but during the STATE GAME they didn't play like it. As far as Travis Wright not having a good game, not hitting open receivers, it happens to the best of them my friend. After all, it's HIGH SCHOOL football. This state game could have a huge impact on this years SC team. Like they say in all sports, "let em hang around long enough................."

Great post!!

Florida boy your post is nothing but excuses. The depth that T has should not have been a problem. As far as who scored TD's, O,D, special teams, it doesn't matter, a TD is a TD. You say SC was overmatched, yea on paper they were, but during the STATE GAME they didn't play like it. As far as Travis Wright not having a good game, not hitting open receivers, it happens to the best of them my friend. After all, it's HIGH SCHOOL football. This state game could have a huge impact on this years SC team. Like they say in all sports, "let em hang around long enough................."

It was the semi-finals. Trinity demolished PRP in the title game.

Great post!!

Post also for sweeperboy

C'mon now, You say I;m making excuses but yet you guys are the ones trying to compare scores. I hate to put it this way because I like & respect Highlands alot but all I know is when they had there chance at Trinity they were detroyed!!!

BTW if you don't think it did not make a difference that Quick didn't play & Dawkins was playing with a stomach virus, then you are being a homer!!!those 2 were special players,one a 5* & the other a 4* player. Also When Scott Co & Highlands faced Trinity with a heathly Quick & Dawkins Scott Co & Highlands were detroyed & those are facts!!

When it comes to financial aid, the KHSAA states you cannot give more than the amount of Need Based Aid calculated by the 3rd party, ie Private School Aid Service (PSAS). So if John Doe Jr.'s parents apply for financial aid and PSAS determines he has a financial aid need of $3,500, then after the process is completed for that school year, the bread winner of the family loses their job and they appeal the award and Trinity decides to give the family $5,500 in aid, the student can no longer participate in athletics until the next school year when the financial aid process happens again.

As far as Merit Aid, Merit Aid and Need Based Aid are not the same thing. The only examples of Merit Aid I can think of at Trinity are the Steinhauser Scholars who are students who scored in the top 1 or 2% of the entrance exam. They are given an award of a few thousand which is less than 25% of tuition. Yes, some football players do score in the top 1 or 2% for those who doubt :). If I am not mistaken, one memeber on this board has a son who is/was a Steinhauser Scholar and played football.

X has a similar program-Xavierian Scholars-which I believe is limited to the a score of 99%. Used to be 15 got $1000.00 each. It has probably changed. A few years back, 4 of those students who were starters on the FB team were also named National Merir Scholars.

Several years ago I was at a meeting at X and we were told that Manual had more Catholic school kids enrolled than X did JCPS kids. That may also have changed.

I believe that in several circumstances that Manual is a bigger competitor to X for students than T because of the tuition issue. Certainly T and X will get their share of students (I am not talking fb players here) due to parent/family alumni in any given year

If Dale Mueller coached at Ryle, they would win more than their fair share versus Trinity. That is all it takes. The right coach at the right school.

The better question is would you know Dale Mueller even existed if he coached at Knott County Central. I take offense to some of you guys saying that this guy or that guy is the best 2 coaches in the state. You put Dale in a situation where he doesn't have 10 paid coaches on the staff, the tradition that Highlands has, the major D1 players he has had, and the money that is poured into that program along with the amount of kids not on free or reduced lunch and he would get real ordinary. He might have built Highlands into what it is today but I'm pretty sure they had success before Dale and would've had success even if he wasn't there. Dale is an outstanding coach but I don't think in high school that you can take a coach that has more boys to pick from, in the largest city and say he's better than Joe Schmo in Clinton County, Ky who has no advantages whatsoever and say that Beatty is the best coach in the state. These schools have advantages that others do not. Now if you want to say that Trinity's coach is better than St. X's then yes you can compare those two apples.

Serious question, why would Trinity choose to play other KY teams? What is the point of just taking a game and risk injury if it is a foregone conclusion as to the result and it will not prep them any more for the November run? Outside of district if they are not able to get a big boy out of state that week just play the second best team in 6A... the Trinity reserve squad.